Fairfax County PD Units

GB1439

Hey all, couple questions on FCPD units. I rarely hear them but occasionally a unit using "Zebra" or "Lincoln" will come on the air, usually during pursuits or major crimes. Some kind of detective or tac unit? Secondly, sometimes a unit will identify as "Watch commander [#]." Just another term for the watch lieutenant who normally goes by "Car #" or another term for the duty officer? Thanks for any help.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
If I am not mistaken the "Zebra" were officers on overtime details. I used to have a copy of that information in my notes. I will look and see I I still have it.

Hbright

Zebra are the overtime officers hired by businesses. Lincoln is Street Crimes Unit.

Watch Commander is the new term for the squad Lt. It's being tested in Mount Vernon before being implemented in all eight stations early next month.

GB1439

It'll be interesting to see how numbering changes when the Lorton station opens. Presumably those units will be 900-series, so the current extra units that go by 9+station+unit will need to change.
As long as folks are updating the wiki, I see it says most shifts are supervised by an LT and a SGT. From what I can tell there are normally two SGTs on duty these days.

Hbright

Correct. On 7/1 FCPD moves to the Watch Commander program in which each patrol squad is commanded by 2x SGTs and a Lt “Watch Commander” supervises.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
It'll be interesting to see how numbering changes when the Lorton station opens. Presumably those units will be 900-series, so the current extra units that go by 9+station+unit will need to change.
As long as folks are updating the wiki, I see it says most shifts are supervised by an LT and a SGT. From what I can tell there are normally two SGTs on duty these days.
I'm on it

GB1439

Sort of unrelated question but does anyone have an org chart for FCPD that's newer or more detailed than the one in their general orders?

GB1439

Another question, just heard ACE units mention "John units." Never heard that one before, anyone know what it is?

GB1439

Heard a MCB unit come on and have dispatch log him in on surveillance duty. Would've thought they would have done that on an encrypted channel...

Hbright

Heard a MCB unit come on and have dispatch log him in on surveillance duty. Would've thought they would have done that on an encrypted channel...
What time was that? MCB ARC detectives were surveilling a tobacco store on Rolling Road on Monday night.

Hbright

I don’t have any updates. It was supposed to be done by July 1. The fact that it isn’t tells me the move is delayed.

GB1439

Another request: Channel 6 just now at 10:51. Unit called in a disabled and requested a patrol unit. He was going by what sounded by "CRE 4." Don't see that in the wiki. Only thing I can think of is crash reconstruction?