Fairfax County, Phase II Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modulation

I've noticed that Fairfax County radio traffic has decreased significantly on my 396XT (No Phase II) since December. I still hear some police and fire, but not as much as I used to.

Does anyone know what the status of Fairfax shifting to Phase II is? I'm not sure if this is the reason I appear to be hearing less or if something else is going on, such as interference to my radio.

I plan to purchase a Phase II radio at some point, but want to see what radios would suit my needs (and what radios may be released soon).

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
The lack of radio traffic has a lot more to do with all law enforcement talkgroups have been encrypted except the 9 main dispatch talkgroups.

troymail

Silent Key
I can't say for Fairfax specifically but - many jurisdictions also are increasingly using more and more data/data terminal solutions resulting in less information being transmitted. In my area, some information that I'd hear (and shouldn't and/or don't care about) in the past is sent over pagers.

cm205

Have also noticed with Fairfax's P25 system a huge increase in the number of encrypted TGs; there are at least one or two dozen that are not accounted for in the DB and have appeared only recently. They may have moved some traffic to these.

mejnetguru

FFX County is Phase II capable but they use only P1 at present.

FFX County PS (police) have only the main dispatch TG open, the TACs are encrypted. Volume depends on the specific district. Springfield is much more chatty than Fair Oaks for example. But I still hear quite a bit, they were very active on St. Pattys Day for instance unsurprisingly.

Fire dispatch is still very active, the "response" channels, less so.

I have heard exactly one comm on the MED groups in the last week. They use mostly MDT these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.