Fairfax County PS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

Howdy. Longtime lurker, first questions though. Hoping our Fairfax County neighbors can make some sense of these for me.

I routinely (frequently) hear the phrase "<unit> direct your 10-4 busy" on the FCPD dispatch talkgroups from the dispatcher. But never hear anything before (or after) that would indicate what the acknowledgement was about. Normally FFX is plain language and quite chatty but these phrases are always out of nowhere. I don't think it's just the officer is "busy" as these are far too common, sometimes two/three in a single transmission with no other conversation around it. I'm not missing transmissions, I have good reception (excepting the LSM issues of course). Anyone have any idea on what this phase means?

Second regarding the RRDB entries for FCFR. Primary talkgroups are those for 4A, 4B, 4C, and 4D, no problem. But see other entries for 41x, 42x, etc. that don't seem to make any logical sense on why they are out-of-order or have a second "digit". FFX is "4" in the MCOG, so I would expect all groups to be 4x, not 4nx. I never hear anything on these double-digit groups, maybe the database info is outdated or just wrong? Otherwise, anyone know the logic on number plan for these other groups?

BushDoctor

CAD Computer aided dispatch i would think

Howdy. Longtime lurker, first questions though. Hoping our Fairfax County neighbors can make some sense of these for me.

I routinely (frequently) hear the phrase "<unit> direct your 10-4 busy" on the FCPD dispatch talkgroups from the dispatcher. But never hear anything before (or after) that would indicate what the acknowledgement was about. Normally FFX is plain language and quite chatty but these phrases are always out of nowhere. I don't think it's just the officer is "busy" as these are far too common, sometimes two/three in a single transmission with no other conversation around it. I'm not missing transmissions, I have good reception (excepting the LSM issues of course). Anyone have any idea on what this phase means?

Second regarding the RRDB entries for FCFR. Primary talkgroups are those for 4A, 4B, 4C, and 4D, no problem. But see other entries for 41x, 42x, etc. that don't seem to make any logical sense on why they are out-of-order or have a second "digit". FFX is "4" in the MCOG, so I would expect all groups to be 4x, not 4nx. I never hear anything on these double-digit groups, maybe the database info is outdated or just wrong? Otherwise, anyone know the logic on number plan for these other groups?

CAD Most departments have it these days

fredva

Feed Provider
I would guess MDTs. A computer terminal in the car that lets the officer communicate with dispatch. In this case, the dispatcher would be acknowledging with a voice reply.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I thinks it radio procedure for the dispatcher to acknowledge that the officer is 10-4, VSP does the same thing, sometimes you won't even here the unit go out on a traffic stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KI4SXZ

As for the radio procedure: it is the over the air acknolegement of MDT (in vehicle computers) actions. Traffic stops, etc. it frees up the air for important broadcasts.

For the 4x channels. They are the same usually. It is just another bank of operational channels. 4xA will simulcast on all of the A's. it really just comes down to organization. If the are using Incident 3 channels (41d-f), they just change banks. The Motorola radios only have 16 channels on the dial. So they solve it with multiple banks. Channels A/P are both patched, so that if you ever run into trouble and you radio channel was changed, you just turn the dial in any direction to its end and broadcast on dispatch you emergency. Most of the cog systems are the same. Except for PG, who have a north/south zone also.

You also have the hospitals, training and BChiefs with their own banks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mejnetguru

Thx on the procedure. Makes sense (sort of). Ffx most defintely uses MDTs extensively but I would never had thought that a voice transmission would be used to ack. a status made via term. But then, I'm a techie, not a first responder, different mindset.

The idea of groupings for dial-use makes sense but some of the descriptions don't line up right. I'd love to figure it out but I still never hear anything on the non 4nX groups, just 4A-X. I dunno.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
...but I would never had thought that a voice transmission would be used to ack. a status made via term.

This is done for the situational awareness of the other officers on the channel who can't sit and stare the MDT screen all day to see what their shift mates are doing.

clbsquared

I thinks it radio procedure for the dispatcher to acknowledge that the officer is 10-4, VSP does the same thing, sometimes you won't even here the unit go out on a traffic stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
VSP has done this for as long as I can remember. Even back in the 80's when they were conventional VHF, you rarely heard the trooper. Just a mic click.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.