Fairfax County Public Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCSDRO

Anyone notice a shift in talkgroups for Fairfax County Police. It appears that the West Springfield dispatch is no longer on the TG I had previously monitored.

The RR Database soes not have a recent update that I could find.

Anyone in No. VA care to comment??

KI4IHC

Premium Subscriber
Where has the West Springfield dispatch gone to?
If it's going to the Mason dispatch TG, that's normal (at least in my expierence). I've found that whenever Fairfax's dispatch channels are linked (which they are about 99% of the time these days) my scanner will seem to pick one of the linked channels to hear traffic on, and the other will be silent.

Currently, this is the linking arrangement for Fairfax:

Ch 1/8/9 (HQ, Fair Oaks, Sully)
Ch 2/6 (Mt. Vernon, Franconia)
Ch 3/5 (McLean, Reston)
Ch 4/7 (Mason, West Springfield)

Hope this helps!

Gar45

Premium Subscriber
Yes the talkgroup ID's do indeed change. I have asked several of our radio techs with the county about it and they were unaware that the system even did that. About once every few weeks I have to go into "ID search" mode and listen for the active talk group ID then I re-program the scanner with the proper ID. It only seems to occur on the Police ID's and not the FD.

SCSDRO

Well that's a good thing to know. I do hear a great deal of traffic on what i had labeled as the Mason dispatch channel. I had labeled and assigned a nifty 396T alert signal to the WS dispatch TG and it all of the suden was silent. Looks like I'll have to keep on top of the mysterious auto change talkgroups. I get the impression that FCPD still has an agenda to keep the public from listening in. Sure would be nice to find out the logic of how and when they do the 'ol TG shuffle.

Thanks for the replies.

kc4jgc

Gar45 said:
.... I have asked several of our radio techs with the county about it and they were unaware that the system even did that. .....

What if something ever whent wrong with the system and it turned out related to an "automatic" TG change? Scary thought indeed..... Why would a system reassign automatically in the first place?

Samuel

I dont think the talkgroups change persay...what changes is which channel is linked to which. For example does the system have Channel 4 linked to the Channel 7 console or visa versa. I have never monitored Mason Dispatch on anything other than Mason or West Springfield's TG's which is where its supposed to be. As was said by an earlier poster on a scanner if you listen to the wrong TG of the two that are linked you hear nothing however if you are using a XTS in the field you will hear the same traffic on either TG. Thats the simplified answer...hopefully it wasnt gibberish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.