fairfax county ,Va

Status
Not open for further replies.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
ok some one please tell me why fairfax has two systems listed, a fairfax county public safety and a fairfax p-25, and what one do i need to load in scanner or do i need both

jim

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
Program both, Fairfax is upgrading there radio system to the new P25 system, which are still in its test phases, as you can tell some of the PD side have moved over...but the system isnt fully up and operational, so program the Both in for now, in the future when its up and running at full capacity then the Older Moto will go offline

FFXExplr

My understanding is each county agency has its own cutover date. Are you referring to FD in April? I think PD is last, later in the year?

Sorry, you're right. I know at least 4A has been activated on the P25 system and is being monitored at the dispatch center.

j2brown

Feed Provider
I've been hearing more traffic on the new system lately. I heard 4B traffic on it yesterday, I believe.

jeff
sdg

rnehls

Premium Subscriber
But 4A seems to have drop off the old system and is not being heard (by me at least) on the new P25 system. Curious....

freqhopping

There is some sort 4A patch/simulcast between the two systems. I hear 4A on 1519 on the P25 system. Multiply by 16 which equals 24304 which is active on the old system and patched with 4A 17616. If tuned to 17616 it will alternately display 24304 on my 396XT.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Yes I saw that TG 1519 showing up for Fire Dispatch too. There was also an announcements on the new system (which I also seem to catch the tail end of) relating to station tones. Was not sure what that was all about. Another observation which may or may not be related in improved interoperability between jurisdictions. As you may have heard there was some type of fire on the Metro Orange Line Thursday afternoon in the Dunn Loring area which resulted in a lot of delays however the Fairfax Co Fire Dispatcher was speaking directly to the Metro Police dispatcher exchanging information. Unlike in the past where some jurisdiction my have to use PMARS or even telephone the other, information was shared in real time.

mrrehab

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know any of the Fairfax fire P25 system id talkgroups? If 1519 is 4A could that mean 4B could be 1521 and so on in sequence? I have a BC996XT. Do I need to use "custom" and use the custom reband plan menu or stay "standard 800/900"? I am having difficulty programming. We have downloaded the police side with no problem from RR database.

mrrehab

Premium Subscriber
From what I have heard the radio in the fire station in Fairfax Co will be programmed between now and mid May when the old system will go inactive. They are actually a mobile radio on a 12 volt power supply and audio fed in to the station speakers. All portables and mobiles have been switched over. I guess this gives them a back up for about a month or so in case the system runs in to problems? Also the 4M patch to the services system channels used in the Skyline- Baileys X Road area will not be in new system. A new repeater has been added in that area. I have noticed a second or two delay between my scanner with old system and the xts5000 radio with the new system. Its like listening in a sewer pipe.

cpetraglia

P25 Reception

Is anyone monitoring the new system having voice reception issues? I use the PSR600 and for the life of me cant recieve it worth a darn. I get Stars, Arlington P25 and a few others perfectly. The Fairfax P25 system just randomly mutes in the middle of a voice transmission. I've tried all the antenna tricks to boost or attenuate and none make any difference. My prefered PD is the City of Fairfax which is more and more being shut off of the old system.
Are there any expert settings I need to make or is it possibly my scanner? I would think iof it was the radio, I would have trouble with all the P25 systems.
Any input would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.