Fairfax County VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
The Fairfax County VA radio system use to have talk groups for their Narcs, Vice and FBI. Surprisingly they seemed to have disappeared. Are they still using the county radio system, gone onto the Virginia State STARS or elsewhere?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
P25 system: Fairfax County (Project 25) Trunking System, Fairfax, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Was listening to this very clear on the BCD436HP last night driving from Tyson's into and through Downtown Fairfax.

I have to go back up and try the Moto II System: Fairfax County (Project 16) Trunking System, Fairfax County, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
Notice this last updated in Dec 2013.

I was scanning a bunch of the P25 channels last night and driving. I really could not look down at the radio while driving as I have yet to buy my mounting devices for the scanner. So really do not know what channels I had heard. But, it was working very well. You might find those channels you are looking for there.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
FFX

Thanks I was thinking that they were possibly hiding on the old system, using the STARS system or even using Loudoun county system. More than likely they also are using some VHF car to car channels, can just about guarantee that. They have to use something when they leave the coverage area of their country radio system.

The fun is in the hunt.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Thanks I was thinking that they were possibly hiding on the old system, using the STARS system or even using Loudoun county system. More than likely they also are using some VHF car to car channels, can just about guarantee that. They have to use something when they leave the coverage area of their country radio system.

The fun is in the hunt.

I agree.

When you find them please let us know or try to add them to the database for all to see there.

I love finding new things. I have found a few new TG's and Frequencies the last few months and will be putting them together hopefully before spring fully kicks in.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
Just realized that the FBI still have a talk group in the 1400's its called FBI 1, have to wonder if there is a FBI 2 or FBI 3 out there in the weeds. Also suspect that other interesting talk groups might exist in the 1400 talk group cluster.

If you recall the old vice, narcotics, jump, and gang squad talk groups were all in the 16000 series. Given that logic they might have moved to the 1400 series of talk groups along with the FBI. The possibility exist that they are operating on another radio system.

beastieboy101

If you take the talkgroups from the old fairfax TRS and divide the number by 16; you will get the new talkgroup on the new P25 fairfax TRS. Also works backwards. Take a P25 talkgoup and multipy by 16 to get the old talkgroup number.

This might not work on all the talkgroups but it does work for the Fairfax Co. PD & Fire talkgroups.

cpetraglia

I have been monitoring Fx P25 since it came online. There have since been at least 12 new TGs all using full time encryption. As of late, all the PD Ops 2 groups have gone to encryption. There is one TG called Gang 1 (1018) that is still in the clear.
My guess is you will not hear what we used to be able to years ago.

Chuck

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
encryption

Thanks for the info, well encryption is not a bad thing, considering the officer safety aspect and the fact that we want the bad guys in jail. Just have to monitor the locals and mall security lol.

johnf54321

Premium Subscriber
It seems like ONLY the main dispatch channels for PD/FD are able to be monitored for me. Did the TGs change?

freqhopping

They encrypted the tac channels primarily for personally identifiable information requests. But soon the rest of the PD channels will be.

"Officer safety" as justification is always a line of crap. When is the last time a FCPD cop has been injured on duty for a reason other than their own crappy driving.

cpetraglia

Encryption

Do we know this for a fact. So far all I see is all the Ops 2 channels and of course many new TGs using encryption.
I was considering a new Uniden, I believe I'll wait.

TracyR

Live in Loudoun County but want to listen to Fairfax County

Hi - I currently live in Loudoun County but I want to hear Fairfax County Police, it's about 11-13 miles away and when I spoke w/Scanner Master Sales today, he suggested I check with this forum to see if anybody in Loudoun County is able to listen to Fairfax (clear frequency) and if so, what type of scanner are you using and did you have to purchase an external house antenna? I was interested in purchasing the BCD536HP. Thanks in advance for your help.

cpetraglia

Encryption

I think we all know the real reason for all this. I may get banned for saying it, but at this point when we all loose our hobby, what difference does it make. It is clearly a result of the streaming broadcasts. The law makers are too lazy to ban the streaming, just spend some more money and encrypt. I have been listening to scanners since I was a little kid. Were talking 45 years here on and off. Lots of cash tied up just to get a decent signal on my local P25 system. The encryption has already started here. It pisses me off as I pay huge amounts of tax to live in this city. I do also believe that it reduces accountability on the part of the PD departments. DC PD a perfect example. That used to be comedy show on Friday nights before they encrypted.
Alright, I have said enough. As I said before, this great web sights future is in jeopardy because of this.

STOP THE STREAMING (To Late) !!!

Chuck

RS8

Premium Subscriber
Fairfax County

I have a BCD 996 T with a back of set 800MHZ antenna I got at RS. I don't monitor FFX PD but listen to FFX FD. Overall it is OK for reception but not perfect. A close friend of mine is in charge of EOC. He asked his radio tech about my reception and they had no real answer. except a roof antenna or attic but it still might not get better.
Funny thing is I get DCFD loud and clear.
Good luck and let us know if you find the solution.

TracyR

Yeah, wondering if I should just hold off if they do end up encrypting them...which blows. I listen on my ipad/iphone for free but sometimes it breaks up. I have some relatives and friends that work for FCPD and it would be nice to have clear reception and get to hear more than just dispatch or a rewind feature :) With a scanner, you do hear more than just dispatch, correct? The free online has dispatch and you can hear them talking when the channel is held.

JamesO

I am hearing that FFX County is in the process of rolling out all new radios as well. Assume it will be at a minimum P25 Phase 2. Do not have a lot of details, however, I am also hearing 4th hand that Encryption is likely going to be used widespread, but at this point do not know how accurate and wise this is.

With the size of the county and the degradation that Encryption causes, not sure it is wise as an across the board solution.

But as usual, politicians and non technical folks making technical decisions tend to drive things.

If anyone has more firm info, please pass it along.

I will dig around to some of my sources to see what I can find out and will update if I have any solid, accurate, info.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
There is no degradation from P25 clear to P25 encrypted, it's still digital. There was degradation from analog clear to DES and that's why XL was created in an attempt to regain what was lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.