Fairfield Co. Testing Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
I heard from a very reliable source that Fairfield County Sheriff is planning to switch their radio system to a non-trunked, digital system. Some components are being tested presently, but no official timetable at this time.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
good they are changing... then they'll get off of the MURS frequency they are currently hogging.

Which frequency would that be? They may have been grandfathered in.

Title 47, Part 95.

§95.1317 Grandfathered MURS Stations.
Stations that were licensed under part 90 of the Commission's Rules to operate on MURS frequencies as of November 13, 2000, are granted a license by rule that authorizes continued operations under the terms of such nullified part 90 authorizations, including any rule waivers.

[67 FR 63290, Oct. 11, 2002]

Last edited:

KD8DVR

Murs Channel 1 151.820 It is a link on their UHF system. I actually addressed this exact point in a much older thread soon after MURS came to be.

Grandfathered or not, a MURS user can potentially (accidentally or otherwise) interfere with communications. Not wise for any public safety agency to utilize a license free public band.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Murs Channel 1 151.820 It is a link on their UHF system. I actually addressed this exact point in a much older thread soon after MURS came to be.

Grandfathered or not, a MURS user can potentially (accidentally or otherwise) interfere with communications. Not wise for any public safety agency to utilize a license free public band.

I seem to recall one of the departments in Fairfield County was using a VHF frequency to link to the SO repeater for portable coverage in their village. That may be it but you're right; still not a good frequency for that purpose.

medic611

Baltimore police had used 159.21 as an output on a repeater that was linked to sheriff's office. This was long ago before the move to UHF. There also was a repeater for fire that linked 33.86 to 460.625 , again long before the countywide change to all UHF. I can't remember the input frequency but they were licensed for it.

firecatohio

last i heard FC was going all digital for all agencies.. heard uhf digital or even a trunked system. they are having interop linking issues with perry, hocking, pickaway and licking counties. may just go with there own system and the outlaying departments just hafta carry an extra radio

I believe their system used VHF voter links at one time... Seems like a step backwards if they are not going MARCS-IP. I know money is tight for everyone but that does not help with LEO interop.

quarterwave

John is right, they have traffic of some kind on 151.820, I have heard it. That wouldn't even be a freq LE could use, it was in the business pool before MURS. Someone probably took a short cut and figure no one would complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.