Fairfield County 700mhz system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
The new county system seems to be coming online. I am starting to receive a data channel on 774.20625
The data channel is P25 and the system id is 03A9h-0121
I am in Norwalk and receiving the channel pretty strong so either the Westport or Wilton site is up and running. I went down to Greenwich and I could barely get a signal so that site may not be up and running yet. Let the fun begin now to identify talkgroups!!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Dave, can you refresh the minds of those of us who are not too familiar with this new "county" system please? I don't remember reading anything about this!

Manny

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
There is another thread about it. I probably should of used that one.

QUOTE=Lynch_Christopher;1396414]While looking on the FCC website for any updated licenses in Connecticut I happened to come across 2 new applications (dated October 7th) for a 700 MHz Trunked System. It looks like the license is for seven existing sites in Fairfield County and another license with a site in Stamford.

A couple questions, these 700 MHz licenses could this be the start of a new regional interoperability system in Fairfield County?

Here is the link to the two applications;
ULS Application - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - 0004413742 - CONNECTICUT, STATE OF
ULS Application - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - 0004413846 - CONNECTICUT, STATE OF[/QUOTE]

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
A couple questions, these 700 MHz licenses could this be the start of a new regional interoperability system in Fairfield County?

Yes, it is. This is the new statewide Project 25 TRS for the state of Connecticut. This TRS will eventually replace the older Motorola Type-II legacy system currently in place.

73s

Ron

APX7500X2

Yes, it is. This is the new statewide Project 25 TRS for the state of Connecticut. This TRS will eventually replace the older Motorola Type-II legacy system currently in place.

73s

Ron

Not quite but close. Its the 700mhz P25 UASI system the federal goverment paid for.
It has 5 sites arround fairfield county and will be used for interoperability.
The state will piggyback on the system and this and another 700 system that is in the works will help them move to a P25 system in upcoming years

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
We talking trunked here or each frequency individualy set up as separate P25? Just curious!

Manny

It sounds like it is a trunked system. If this is a mainly a interoperability system will they have to put new base stations in the fire departments and police stations? Any idea if any towns plan on switching over to the system and building it out and making it a primary system for their emergency services??

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
700 mhz will it work on a bcd 396xt and 996xt

Just make sure you have the latest firmware updates loaded in your 396XT or 996XT. Since this is a Project 25 trunking system that uses simulcast technology, it will greatly improve your reception of this system. We have found that here in Michigan with our statewide P25 trunked radio system, one of these Uniden scanners out of the box will perform satisfactory on the stand-alone sites, but has a very tough time following CQPSK-Phase One simulcast cells. However, once the 396XT and 996XT scanners are updated, they perform much better on these multi-site trunking systems.

This new interoperability network in Connecticut, supposedly has the ability to use Motorola X2 TDMA modulation. Currently, only the GRE PSR-800 has the ability to follow talkgroups that use TDMA modulation. Likewise, GRE is planning to launch a new P25 mobile scanner very shortly, but it's not clear at this time if this unit will decode Motorola X2 TDMA modulation or not.

73s

Ron

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This new interoperability network in Connecticut, supposedly has the ability to use Motorola X2 TDMA modulation. Currently, only the GRE PSR-800 has the ability to follow talkgroups that use TDMA modulation. Likewise, GRE is planning to launch a new P25 mobile scanner very shortly, but it's not clear at this time if this unit will decode Motorola X2 TDMA modulation or not.

73s

Ron

Not only does the new network have the capability, it is already in use according to the info listed here:Connecticut State Police (Project 25) System Trunking System, Varies, Connecticut - Scanner Frequencies According to what is listed there, the current CSP trunked system will be replaced by this new 700 Mhz. TDMA system. Now there are a few things to think about here. First, the timetable for the conversion of the current 800 Mhz sites in use by the CSP system. I don't believe that it will take THAT long for the conversion to take place, but I don't think it will be anytime soon either. Second, Unless I am mistaken, all of us using anything BUT a GRE PSR-800 to monitor the state will be forced to change equipment if we want to continue to listen. Either we go with the new GRE or wait until Uniden then ( maybe) Ratshack make their version of a TDMA capable scanner. I'm not saying this as a panic or doomsday type of thing, just thinking and / or planning ahead. I'm sure it will be forever before the entire state gets on board, if ever. However, I do believe the CSP will be the first to do it. Just posting some food for thought!

Manny

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.