Fairfield county looking into MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic611

With the current $ 20,000.00 study underwayfor the sheriff's office on the county fire association side the talk is of looking into moving operations to MARCS. Howeveri don't forsee this happening till funding is obtained. To get complete inbuilding coverage will take 16 sites around the county for 100% portable coverage.

Once this study comes out about sheriff coverage they may even suggest either placing more UHF towers in operation,or a"possible" switch to MARCS

xusmarine1979

I was wondering what was going to happen about that. Maybe I can use this for an example to get the Mrs. to get me a second Pro96 for my birthday.

How's the coverage in Fairfield county for MARCS right now btw? It's been a while since we've visited.

FPO703

mmartinfan said:
Don't look for it to happen at all.

Coverage for Fairfield is excellent, I've never had an issue with my 396T down there.

Why not? If Union County can do it, why can't Fairfield County?

16b

Premium Subscriber
The MARCS switch didn't go all that well for Union County.

Portable coverage leaves a bit to be desired still, too...

FPO703

If they need better portable coverage, then, they need to put up more sites. The system wasn't created for 100% portable coverage outside of Columbus/Cleveland, etc...

xusmarine1979

I agree with Scott. I'm not sure how much of a differnce it is, but my 96 seemed to do quite well on UHF the last time I was there. But I don't know where the dead spots are. I'd rather see them stick to the UHF but just add more towers.

medic611

mmartinfan said:
Don't look for it to happen at all.

Coverage for Fairfield is excellent, I've never had an issue with my 396T down there.

Having worked in the area for 15 years yes there are still dead spots even having UHF. Considering there are 3 departments using the columbus system for mutual aid/ hospital reports it would be nice to carry just one radio. As an example Greenfield TWP ( Carroll) has MARCS radios and has a dispatch TG and a fireground TG. How do i know this I installed the radios while working a shift up there . It is nice to switch from a columbus tg to SO 23 all in a single radio. Those radios were all purchased with EMS grant money,rumor has it more grant money is going to be given out like the first round, a simple filling out the paperwork worked for that department.

16b

Premium Subscriber
medic611 said:
Having worked in the area for 15 years yes there are still dead spots even having UHF. Considering there are 3 departments using the columbus system for mutual aid/ hospital reports it would be nice to carry just one radio. As an example Greenfield TWP ( Carroll) has MARCS radios and has a dispatch TG and a fireground TG. How do i know this I installed the radios while working a shift up there . It is nice to switch from a columbus tg to SO 23 all in a single radio. Those radios were all purchased with EMS grant money,rumor has it more grant money is going to be given out like the first round, a simple filling out the paperwork worked for that department.
That's what is sort of dumb about Union County switching to MARCS. Now that they have done so, guess what? They have one more kind of portable radio, and one more mobile radio installed in their vehicles. As far as I know, they don't even (yet) have the Columbus system programmed in their MARCS radios; Jerome is still carrying MTS2000s in their apparatus for mutual aid. Further, Washington township doesn't have MARCS radios, so when they are on a mutual aid run with Jerome, it's 154.250 baby. And no, the last time that happened, the dispatcher did not set up a VHF-MARCS patch.

It would be excellent to only have one kind of radio, but I'm sure not holding my breath for anything like that to happen soon.

SLWilson

Gallia

FPO703 said:
If they need better portable coverage, then, they need to put up more sites. The system wasn't created for 100% portable coverage outside of Columbus/Cleveland, etc...
We have much the same terrain as Fairfield County. Our county health department uses NOTHING but portables here on MARCS. They go everyplace you can go here in the county. They haven't found anywhere (yet) that they don't work!!!!
Steve/Gallia:) :) :)

xusmarine1979

SLWilson said:
We have much the same terrain as Fairfield County. Our county health department uses NOTHING but portables here on MARCS. They go everyplace you can go here in the county. They haven't found anywhere (yet) that they don't work!!!!
Steve/Gallia:) :) :)

You are talking about Union, correct? Next month I'll be in Jerome for my reunion, I am eager to see how it sounds. The last time I was there I just had Union's site programmed, since then I've done some reading (duh) and programmed the surrounding counties. Even with Union's site alone it still sounded pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.