Fairfield PD reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I monitor Fairfield police on the NJICS system. I'm using a Uniden 396xt with only the West Orange site programmed. Using the radio in my truck, reception goes from absolutely perfect to almost completely garbled and then back to perfect again. I wonder if this is due to simulcast distortion? I thought since I only programmed 1 site this would not be an issue. I work in Fairfield and get excellent signal strength from the West Orange site. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mondaro

Feed Provider
Mark,

Hello using the new 536 down here in Harrison, Hudson county with base and stock antenna hearing them loud and clear. hope that helps.

Tony.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I was hearing them heading down I-280 yesterday from the I-80 split to my service call in Kearny - never heard ANY traffic on the NJICS come in garbled that entire stretch of road (and I was locked on the West Orange site).

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I monitor Fairfield police on the NJICS system. I'm using a Uniden 396xt with only the West Orange site programmed. Using the radio in my truck, reception goes from absolutely perfect to almost completely garbled and then back to perfect again. I wonder if this is due to simulcast distortion?

Yep...you have to remember that the West Orange "site" is actually several sites ties together into one 6 site simulcast zone - Rikers Hill, Essex County Courthouse, Garrett Mtn, Jersey City, Johnson Dr and West Orange. I have just this site programmed in my PSR-800 for Newark Fire and I get the same thing.

W2SJW started a thread with the performance of the new 436 scanner working pretty good on Morris County's UHF P25 Phase I LSM. I asked him to comment on the 436 on the NJICS as well.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I got my 436 today. What a difference! I drove all over the place today, and there was no distortion at any time. Very nice radio.

W2IRT

My house is literally on the Fairfield/West Caldwell border and I've just started listening to them on my 996xt and so far not a single problem. Like you, I only have the West Orange site programmed. Still haven't heard anything on their second talkgroup, but 2599 sounds fantastic. All I'm using is a mag-mount scanner antenna, at roughly waist level, on the ground floor of my house. Really loving the recovered P25 audio.

W2IRT

And I may have spoken too soon. Nothing on 2599 or 2601 via the West Orange site since Saturday (Feb 1st). Anybody know where they went this time?

W2IRT

Any chance they're in TDMA-X2 mode now? I'm sitting on 2599, on 774.78125 (West Orange), with full signal and not a whisper. In search mode I'm hearing roads crews so I'm receiving the site OK, but Fairfield is nowhere to be heard.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Can't tell from the 436 display. It doesn't show mode, but I don't think Fairfield has anything but Phase 1 radios.

W2IRT

I did hear one dispatch around 4:30, so I guess it's possible they just haven't had any calls...but given we were in the middle of a major snowstorm and West Caldwell and North Caldwell's PD frequencies were jumping like made, I somehow doubt it.

W2IRT

Hmm. Not a peep from them in the last three days during the times I've been listening. I have to wonder if something is mis-set on my radio--they have been very busy during the recent storm and I passed by two car stops yesterday afternoon with the radio dedicated to Fairfield PD 1 and 2 (TGs 2599 and 2601). Since the radio is now in my truck, I can't monitor all day in the background but it seems to me as if they've moved their primary comms elsewhere. One thing I did note earlier today is that I was hearing kerchunks on their 800 MHz conventional alternate channel (851.700).

Pursuit

Hmm. Not a peep from them in the last three days during the times I've been listening. I have to wonder if something is mis-set on my radio--they have been very busy during the recent storm and I passed by two car stops yesterday afternoon with the radio dedicated to Fairfield PD 1 and 2 (TGs 2599 and 2601). Since the radio is now in my truck, I can't monitor all day in the background but it seems to me as if they've moved their primary comms elsewhere. One thing I did note earlier today is that I was hearing kerchunks on their 800 MHz conventional alternate channel (851.700).

Something must be wrong. Fairfield PD is very active on 2599

W2IRT

Are you picking them up on the West Orange site or is there another site I should try? Maybe a control channel problem or something? Any way to see if I'm copying the CC OK? I didn't change anything when I had the radio installed, and driving through between Montclair and Fairfield itself I think I should be able to hear them full quieting.

I have site frequencies 774.7812, 774.5437, 774.3187 and 773.7937 programmed. Anything else I could/should check?

Pursuit

i only have the West Orange site programmed with ALL the frequencies for that site. Could that be your problem you only have 4 frequencies programmed? I would try to program all the frequencies and then see. And when listening to only 1 system i keep the site hold time at the max 255 and put the squelch on 0. which seems to help with reception and dropping of the control channel.

W2IRT

I'll try putting in all the RF frequencies but I don't hold/monitor Fairfield for the most part. They're just one system I monitor; I have the Caldwells PD/FD/WEFAS, Essex Fells, and Fairfield's FD in one system, Verona's EDACS in another, Montclair in a third and 4-COMM in a fourth, all activated at the same time--plus SPEN, I-tac, Utac, Vtac. I just thought for whatever reason that I should be hearing a ton of stuff on FPD, while everything else is coming through fine, or at least copyable. I'm really scratching my head over what's going on here.

shield5535

I am using West Orange site and receiving them on TG 2599 loud and clear with RS Pro 106 and RS 800 antenna. Also the same with PSR-600 with Condor and/or Watson W-881 strung up on a beam in the attic in Bergen Co

Status
Not open for further replies.