Fairhaven RD500VX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Yep, an oldie but hopefully goodie. Bought it for me for Christmas but will be a few days late arriving.

I'm looking for any support groups or forums plus an up to date database if possible.

Thanks in advance folks and Merry Christmas

majoco

Stirrer
I've lusted after one for years but they seem to have vanished - or they are so good that they never come on the market! I assume you've seen this....

...and they seem to have database updates but the web page is dated 1999 and they were nil stock! I looked for a yahoo group some time ago but nothing found.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Fairhaven RD500VX search on ebay brings up two radios

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Fairhaven RD500VX search on ebay brings up two radios

There were two on fleabay but now only one. I bought the one with remote controller, original manual and software disk. I managed to find an SWL in the UK who had one and shared a 2002 database file with me. Found the PC software on the internet, installed that and loaded up the database file but it's mostly UK files along with some 18 year old SW broadcasters.

Watched a few utube videos, read a lot of reviews so hoping this receiver operates as well as new.

The other one from "Bigapple" something on eBay is probably OK. That guy moves a lot of nice receivers through eBay and he's very descriptive of condition.

I"m just amazed that there's not more here or on Facebook. Joined an SWL group with over 11k members and not received any info there either.

majoco

Stirrer
I've transferred some databases from one system to another to suit certain software but it's very tedious - lots of converting files from csv to txt and finding out which csv protocol it uses - getting very frustrated when sometimes it works then one small change makes it into garbage. The EiBi text file is probably the easiest to transfer. If there is a downloadable file already in the radio then you can analyse that to see how it's structured. Just make a homebrew file with a couple of entries before going the whole hog!

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I've transferred some databases from one system to another to suit certain software but it's very tedious - lots of converting files from csv to txt and finding out which csv protocol it uses - getting very frustrated when sometimes it works then one small change makes it into garbage. The EiBi text file is probably the easiest to transfer. If there is a downloadable file already in the radio then you can analyse that to see how it's structured. Just make a homebrew file with a couple of entries before going the whole hog!

That was my plan, download whatever is in the radio and use that to build on. I agree, csv files can be a pain sometimes. Been listening to the R8500 since Christmas, S9 noise levels here on AM, S7 on SSB. Headed south to Florida in January for warmer weather and will be experimenting with magnetic loops.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
To my surprise the RD500 arrived today, unusual for Fedex to deliver on Sunday. Quick check of HF and UHF all seems to be working well. There was no frequencies loaded to memories so I'll upload the 2002 file I received and start building an up to date database.

78520IMG_0110.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.