Fake Emergency calls on LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I don't get it. What's the purpose? I've had various radios that could transmit on public safety channels for about a decade now, and just about every one has transmit disabled. I know better than to play games on public safety channels. Just think of the potential chaos it could cause.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully no one from this site would do such childish things!!

I agree,and honestly do t think it's someone from here,it is someone that knows the way they dispatch and towns LCD uses,I saw a post from someone on Facebook that it can't be a ham operator because apparently ham radios won't let you transmit on these freqs,so I would go with someone that has a stolen or lost radio or one of them cheap Chinese made radios,or they could of bought a Motorola or kenwood radio and had someone program it,but I was told years ago the software the radio companies use to program them is not sold or given to the public,but a post on Facebook by someone said you can get it online or from a dealer.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

I don't get it. What's the purpose? I've had various radios that could transmit on public safety channels for about a decade now, and just about every one has transmit disabled. I know better than to play games on public safety channels. Just think of the potential chaos it could cause.
This isn't simply about having professional grade equipment and just not disabling the transmit. Many of us collect or "want" professional quality stuff and, undoubtedly, that kind of equipment performs differently from having a scanner. Most of us are responsible enough to have the transmit disabled and only enabled on frequencies where we are allowed to be.

This guy is different, and it's not a radio issue. So, let's not get stuck on radios. Radios are just a conveyance. This is about an individual who is maliciously inserting himself into emergency situations by convincingly impersonating a figure of authority. He is a nut and a criminal who needs to be stopped before his actions get someone killed.

The man has a distinctive voice, a distinctive accent, and distinctive speech characteristics. He knows enough to be a buff or maybe a responder in some capacity. Somebody knows him. It's a matter of time. The guy needs help and some time to sit and think.

Last edited:

W2IBC

The Chinese radios get blamed for a lot of out of band illegal use. Almost every amateur VHF or UHF radio I have owned had a simple mod to let it go out of band. I have a collection of about 50 hand-helds, and only the Radio Shack HTX series cannot be modified in a matter of minutes. Many of the radios from one established company can be modified by cutting a single wire and many commercial radios cover the ham bands out of the box.

Yaecomwoods can be modified yes. motos can be programmed but can they be found on Amazon listed as a CB or Kids walkie talkie for $30? Nope.

Chinese radios ARE the problem. our local PD/FD are on 450 UHF and you know I hear the damn baofeng orange button whirligiger on those freqs quite a bit as of late. huge increase in it since xmas.

matter of fact on xmas night on a 2m simplex freq I had a very nice young boy bootlegger key up and yell F*ck You, 10-4 good buddy, and Breaker one nine. from the sound of the voice the kid was under 12. I am quite sure mommy and daddy got the radio he was using from Amazon for $30 and it was labeled Toy walkie talkie.

pyro424

This is sad, what a frickin nutcase. I agree he knows what he is doing and has been around radio for a while. Someone out there must recognize his voice. I have no doubt that someone this educated on radio would be involved in other services also. Such as CB, GMRS or Ham. This is what ruins our hobby and gives us a bad name. This really crosses the line here.

Confuzzled

Why are fire calls allowed to be cancelled by radio?

I've always known policy to be that someone must make the scene. Other units can be slowed down or cancelled, but at least one unit needs to make the scene and verify the situation.

I've never known dispatch anywhere I've been to be able to cancel all units for any reason prior to the first unit's arrival.

pyro424

Why are fire calls allowed to be cancelled by radio?

I've always known policy to be that someone must make the scene. Other units can be slowed down or cancelled, but at least one unit needs to make the scene and verify the situation.

I've never known dispatch anywhere I've been to be able to cancel all units for any reason prior to the first unit's arrival.

I have heard fire cancelled many times by dispatch and they stood down. However every time it was from the direction of police on scene. So I guess They will cancel if police verify it. But yea your right they normally send at least one company to scene anyways. However that's not the point. This guy is clearly a nut job that should be locked up. Maybe he is out on a day pass? or maybe he is allowed a radio in the mental hospital? I have heard some mental hospitals allow patients to have electronics such as computers or cell phones. Maybe a hand held would be allowed too? Or more than likely he is just one of these wacker types that really wanted to be a fire fighter or a cop but never could. Which is fine. However now he has taken it to a level that is just out of control. Kind of like when you hear about guys impersonating police officers and that kind of thing.

One thing for sure is. Someone in that area knows who that guy is. He may have bragged about his abilities with his radio to someone, or maybe someone just knows his voice. There has to be someone.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Law enforcement is almost certainly monitoring this thread - if you are, and you need assistance from our team, please make sure to contact us via legal@radioreference.com.

If you need a member's information, we will not release it unless we receive a subpoena for the info. Contact us at the above email address with any questions or issues. We cooperate with all subpoenas, and we'll do everything we can to help prosecute idiots like this.

Thanks,

K1TSB

Its a shame this is happening and a shame 1 radio company jumps in to try and make a name for them selves to drum up business.

Their are a few other radio companies that have been working on this for 3 weeks now but you don't see them jumping up and getting on TV to promote themselves, Those are the true professional radio companies.

FYI... That's not how it happened... FOX CT contacted the radio company in question and then showed up less than an hour later for an in prompt to interview.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I don't get the automatic "blame the Baofeng" point of view.

Whoever is doing this knows how to program the radio, program the PL (I don't think LCD has an offset). Any responsible use locks the transmit on frequencies they are not authorized on. You can pick up a field programmable Motorola GP-68 for $45 on eBay and other easy to program radios on eBay and right here on RR. The person knows the jargon, and they are not hesitating, so they are quite familiar with the unit numbers, the response types, etc.

The person may have picked up a new radio for Christmas, but they didn't open the box, pull it out, take a wild guess at the frequency, PL and specific speech used on the LCD system.

I have two Baofeng radios and my 9 year old has one to listen to Amtrak and the USCG, the only channels he can transmit on are MURS, labeled GREEN 1 through GREEN 5 (green for "OK" or "safe"). Having the radio doesn't mean my kid runs around pretending to be the Medic 11 unit. Whoever is doing this crime has it well thought out.

W2IBC

I don't get the automatic "blame the Baofeng" point of view.

Whoever is doing this knows how to program the radio, program the PL (I don't think LCD has an offset). Any responsible use locks the transmit on frequencies they are not authorized on. You can pick up a field programmable Motorola GP-68 for $45 on eBay and other easy to program radios on eBay and right here on RR. The person knows the jargon, and they are not hesitating, so they are quite familiar with the unit numbers, the response types, etc.

The person may have picked up a new radio for Christmas, but they didn't open the box, pull it out, take a wild guess at the frequency, PL and specific speech used on the LCD system.

I have two Baofeng radios and my 9 year old has one to listen to Amtrak and the USCG, the only channels he can transmit on are MURS, labeled GREEN 1 through GREEN 5 (green for "OK" or "safe"). Having the radio doesn't mean my kid runs around pretending to be the Medic 11 unit. Whoever is doing this crime has it well thought out.

Lets not forget the idiots selling these baofengs on Amazon listed as CB radio or kids walkie talkies. Before these China radios were here this sort of stuff was a rarity. now its about as common as car accidents. AND anyone who listens long enough will learn the jargon and unit types.

I listen to APD here local. and I am not a cop but I know the jargon. it would be easy to have APD running bunk calls all day and canceling calls with a press of a PTT button and saying "206 shots fired 3rd and jackson" "102 robbery in progress rickers 2500 broadway" or " 303 disregard" but thing that seperates me and you from this guy is WE KNOW BETTER! And you have told your kid where he can talk and where he cant most parents who buy these for the kids HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT RADIO.

How many parents by these china radios from amazon listed as a kids toy know anything about radio? not many. thus we end up with kids playing games on pub safty,railroad, and ham bands. here a bootlegger was a very very rare thing maybe once every 10 years you would hear an actual bootlegger. now its every bloody day and they ain't using no moto they are using china radio.

So yes I will ALWAYS blame the radios from China. and nine times out of ten I will be correct. these china rigs should have NEVER been allowed in this country. pandora's box has been opened. enjoy all the crap on VHF/UHF cause of it.

dimab

Lets not forget the idiots selling these baofengs on Amazon listed as CB radio or kids walkie talkies. Before these China radios were here this sort of stuff was a rarity. now its about as common as car accidents. AND anyone who listens long enough will learn the jargon and unit types.

I listen to APD here local. and I am not a cop but I know the jargon. it would be easy to have APD running bunk calls all day and canceling calls with a press of a PTT button and saying "206 shots fired 3rd and jackson" "102 robbery in progress rickers 2500 broadway" or " 303 disregard" but thing that seperates me and you from this guy is WE KNOW BETTER! And you have told your kid where he can talk and where he cant most parents who buy these for the kids HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT RADIO.

How many parents by these china radios from amazon listed as a kids toy know anything about radio? not many. thus we end up with kids playing games on pub safty,railroad, and ham bands. here a bootlegger was a very very rare thing maybe once every 10 years you would hear an actual bootlegger. now its every bloody day and they ain't using no moto they are using china radio.

So yes I will ALWAYS blame the radios from China. and nine times out of ten I will be correct. these china rigs should have NEVER been allowed in this country. pandora's box has been opened. enjoy all the crap on VHF/UHF cause of it.

Care to share some stats on anything you mentioned? Because everything I read was your own made up thoughts and opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.