Fake transmissions on the Russian Buzzer frequency, 16 April, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

The shortwave oddity station called the Buzzer, or ENIGMA ID S28, is rather well known. It gets a lot of attention from various online sources and has served as a gateway to the hobby for many new listeners. Correspondingly, it is well known that there are a lot of new, and sometimes inexperienced, listeners paying attention to that frequency on various online remotes. And this deep pool of newbs has drawn more than its fair share of trolls.

These days it is not uncommmon to hear fake/troll/hoax transmissions on the Buzzer frequency. People with access to a transmitter seem to like to mess with the new listeners. Music, pictures, sound effects, or just simply fakes trying to sound like military traffic, all are reasonably common. You can count on hearing them a few times a month, at least.

I typically don't pay much attention to these transmissions. But every once in a while one comes along that is note worthy.

On April 16, 2021, there were several such transmissions. One series of transmissions, starting at about 0956 UTC, made an attempt to sound something like military traffic. Things like "This is the 135th, checking main 4625" "checking quality of reception", things like that.

At one point a female voice says a series of numbers, including (translated from Russian to English) "78870997 N 77055964 V repeat".

Now if you look at those numbers it is pretty obvious what they are, latitude and longitude. 78.870997 North and 77.055964 West. If you look at a map, that is dead center of the Pentagon in Washington DC.

It appears the hoaxer has a sense of humor.

Video of the recording here on my YouTube channel:

T!

wx2watch

Not to be too picky, but it does locate the Pentagon more accurately if you change the 78.xxxxxx to 38.xxxxxx.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to tune the frequency soon.

Token

Not to be too picky, but it does locate the Pentagon more accurately if you change the 78.xxxxxx to 38.xxxxxx.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to tune the frequency soon.

Sorry, my bad. A typo here, the quote is indeed " 38870997 N 77055964 V repeat ", and it is indeed 38.870997 North and 77.055964 West . But by the time I noticed the error here I was past the editing time. My notes on the video description, on YouTube, have the correct translation.

T!

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Has the buzzer been off the air? I haven't heard it lately but thought it might have just been propogation.

Token

Has the buzzer been off the air? I haven't heard it lately but thought it might have just been propogation.

Define lately? I don't check it often, but right this minute (0505 UTC, 20 April, 2021) it is on the air. Every time I have checked it in the last couple weeks it has been on the air, although I have heard it stop for a few minutes several times. With that said, I seldom hear it at the house here in California, I generally have to use a European remote to hear it.

T!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I bet more than few wide eyed listeners after decoding the "numbers", coord in the clear, with a russian voice, haha Funny stuff. There are satellites, internet, smartphones but the real juicy stuff is decoded with a shortwave receiver fitted in an Altoids tin in the sole of a shoe with a wire antenna strung over a tree on the bank of the Potomac after midnight

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Shush! You weren’t supposed to tell.;)
77 N 78 W is Superman’s Arctic hideaway.
That’s where he goes when he needs to “chill out“ after fighting Lex Luthor or some other bad guy.o_O

/humor

wx2watch

Oops, I hope I didn’t come across as being snarkey regarding those coordinates…

I was mostly wondering, to myself, how closely watched those numbers were. (Yes, I did manually “place them” in Google Maps!) It is self evident from your posts that you are a details oriented person and I have greatly enjoyed your informative threads.

Token

Oops, I hope I didn’t come across as being snarkey regarding those coordinates…

I was mostly wondering, to myself, how closely watched those numbers were. (Yes, I did manually “place them” in Google Maps!) It is self evident from your posts that you are a details oriented person and I have greatly enjoyed your informative threads.

I don't know about anyone else, but I did not take it as snarky, I just took it as a statement of fact. 78 North is kind of far from the Pentagon. I never have an issue with someone pointing out an error of mine online. I am (mostly) human, humans make errors, and errors should be corrected when noted.

I try not to read too much into peoples posts online, and tend to give the benefit of the doubt. It is sometimes easy to project what you think a person means, between the lines, instead of just taking the words at face value, so I always try to err on the side of face value.

T!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Additional shenanigans this evening with pirate conversations and seemingly intentional SSTV transmissions jamming operations. How do I know it's intentional? Well...this is what they're sending...

1628799928694.png

Signals have been TDOA'ed as being within +/- 500Km of Moscow. This stuff has become par for the course over the last 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.