• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Falcon 11 Meter CB Half Wave Base Station Transmitting Ham Radio Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody I am thinking about purchasing a "Falcon 11 Meter CB Half Wave Base Station Transmitting Ham Radio Antenna" from the Falcon website, I am looking for antenna made for stealth. Something that I can put in my attic that will work better then throwing my magnetic mount cb antenna out the window on a little 1 foot by 1 foot piece of metal to try and ground it, since I belive it uses the ground plane of your cars metal body when you put it on your car.

Here is a link to the page

Falcon 11 Meter CB Half Wave Base Station Transmitting Ham Radio Antenna - #1 Falcon Antenna

I was wondering if this antenna will work , and what are the ups and downs to using it. I read these threads on "Radiorefernce" all the time and I know how helpful you guys are here.

I am just looking for someone to give me some more information or reviews about this kind of antenna.

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

• 1217370.jpg
    1217370.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 24,688

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This would work but why not build one?? It would be cheaper and you could tell people that it was your craftsmanship that gives you your signal! If I recall it's 8'6" per side for your 11meter dipole. It's stealthy enough that you could still mount it outside without it being seen!
n9zas

WouffHong

CB Dipole

An easier way, perhaps, for an attic dipole, is to get the coax cable in length you need to reach the center of the attic + about 20 feet over, and split the shield running one way and the center with the wire in it running the other way. Keep it away from metal or wiring. Metal roof-top vents along the ridge may affect it also.

If the swr is running high, try snipping an inch off each end and recheck to see if it improves. if so, snip more until the SWR bottoms out at the center of your operating frequencies. That's why I suggest starting off with a bit over 1/4 wave on each side.

Wouff

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Considerations

The antenna you display appears to be a common type half-wave dipole. These are generally mounted horizontally, but, you could mount them vertically or in an inverted-V configuration. Ideally, for CB, you want a vertically mounted antenna, since that is the polarization normally used in this radio service. Going horizontal will cut your signal on both transmit and receive significantly.

I once home-brewed a similar dipole and mounted it vertically in my apartment attic; it worked reasonably well. Bear in mind however, that the lower the frequency of interest, often the more trouble it has getting into/out of buildings and this is certainly true in the 11m/cb band.

JB

Wow thanks guys for replying so quickly. Well I do plan on putting it in my attic, and I do not have 20 ft of Vertical room so I was planning on putting it horizontally. And it is just wood planks, and a layer of shingles that are between my attic and the outside. I am sure even though it would be strung horizontally that it would better increase my signal then what I am working with now, which is my little magnetic mount car antenna I am using on a little piece of metal, Right?

kb2vxa

Banned
Mounted horizontally it will exhibit a figure 8 pattern off the sides and sharp nulls off the ends in addition to noticeable cross polarization loss. This loss isn't nearly as bad on 11M as it is on VHF but if someone on a base goes "on the flat side" you'll notice an increase of an S unit or two. Still it's a considerable improvement over a mag mount and a little piece of metal so go for it.

Any lovin' is good lovin' so I took what I could get
She looked at me with those big brown eyes and said
You ain't seen nothin' yet

kb2vxa

Banned
A dipole is a dipole is a dipole, only two pieces of wire 8' 6" long each for 27.2MHz. Solder one to the center conductor and the other to the braid of a bit of RG-58 coax, put the appropriate connector on the other end and you have your antenna. Now go buy a 6 pack with the money you saved. <burp>

prcguy

Make one for a few bucks from the dimensions given earlier and mount it as an inverted V in your attic. Put the feed point low and the ends up near a 45deg angle hanging from the rafters and it will work ok if your attic is not full of wiring, metal heater ducting or other obstructions. Hanging it vertical would be best but you dont have the room and an inverted V will loose about 3dB of signal when talking to a vertical antenna off the broad sides and probably a little more off the ends. I used the same type antenna indoors years ago on 10m and was surprised how well it worked.
prcguy

EDOGZ818

Ok, I am in the right place for my questions.
I'm new to CB , & was looking into it as a back up / emergency camping communication. We will be using hand held Walkie Talkies. ( Vehicle also )

What I was looking for was a portable base antenna. Back Packable. Uncoil, string up with fishing line , add coaxial & increase range,
What range can I expect under average conditions with a diapole & in what configurations.
Is the diapole the best for that scenario?
Would it perform as good as an Antron A-99.
Does the diapole need to be grounded or ground plane kit?

I don't know enough tech terms , but if you have a link, I would read it if you post it.

@ K9rzz:

What are the range estimates that you offer for your product? Range? Durability? Comparison to Antron A-99 in performance?
Performance compared to standard rubber walkie talkie screw on antenna?
Miles estimation? DB gain / swing?

Can you make a heavy duty one?
I can figure a way to message you here & don't have an Ebay account, but I can email you if you post it.

It will be in the field, strung between trees , & exposed to the elements , which is why it needs to be as durable as possible. Brown, green , grey , biege , black are good base colors , but it will be coated with paint if possible.
Is it possible to paint?
Is it possible to increase performance , or basically , "It is what it is. "

k9rzz

Ok, I am in the right place for my questions.
I'm new to CB , & was looking into it as a back up / emergency camping communication. We will be using hand held Walkie Talkies. ( Vehicle also )

What I was looking for was a portable base antenna. Back Packable. Uncoil, string up with fishing line , add coaxial & increase range,
What range can I expect under average conditions with a diapole & in what configurations.
Is the diapole the best for that scenario?
Would it perform as good as an Antron A-99.
Does the diapole need to be grounded or ground plane kit?

I don't know enough tech terms , but if you have a link, I would read it if you post it.

@ K9rzz:

What are the range estimates that you offer for your product? Range? Durability? Comparison to Antron A-99 in performance?
Performance compared to standard rubber walkie talkie screw on antenna?
Miles estimation? DB gain / swing?

Can you make a heavy duty one?
I can figure a way to message you here & don't have an Ebay account, but I can email you if you post it.

It will be in the field, strung between trees , & exposed to the elements , which is why it needs to be as durable as possible. Brown, green , grey , biege , black are good base colors , but it will be coated with paint if possible.
Is it possible to paint?
Is it possible to increase performance , or basically , "It is what it is. "

I've never used the A-99 and the only way to compare is have both on a switch and quickly flip back and forth. That antenna is also a half wave antenna, such as the dipole, except it's fed from the end, not the center.

Here's one review of the A-99: The Antron 99 exposed! by dxzone.com

My dipole antenna IS heavy duty! LOL It's 14 gauge stranded copper wire and will handle what ever you throw at it except perhaps 10 kilowatts of power or drag it behind a semi truck. I've never tried to paint wire and I can't imagine it turning out very well. My dipole could be easily strung up in the trees, although I'd use cord, not fishing line. If you hang it vertically, it would work great as a camping base antenna and you certainly can't break it. Throw a line over a high branch and haul it up. When you're done, just wad it up and throw it in your bag!

Hope that helps.

EDOGZ818

What is your Email?
What is the expected range?
By heavy duty , I meant physical , not power handling , but it sounds tough as can be expected.
Why cord instead of line? Weight of antenna

Is it directional , like a beam?

gewecke

Banned
A dipole is a dipole is a dipole, only two pieces of wire 8' 6" long each for 27.2MHz. Solder one to the center conductor and the other to the braid of a bit of RG-58 coax, put the appropriate connector on the other end and you have your antenna. Now go buy a 6 pack with the money you saved. <burp>

Very true warren! I couldn't have said it better,lol!
n9zas

EDOGZ818

True , but I have such a limited knowledge , that I don't feel confident building one.
The more info I get the better.

k9rzz

What is your Email?
What is the expected range?
By heavy duty , I meant physical , not power handling , but it sounds tough as can be expected.
Why cord instead of line? Weight of antenna

Is it directional , like a beam?

I can't give you an expected range, that's way too variable. It takes two radios to determine that, what power they are running, what antennas are on both ends, how high each is, what kind of terrain is in between. Could be anywhere between 1/2 mile to 10 miles or more!

Will it out perform a rubber duck antenna? Absolutely. By how many db or S units? Impossible to tell you exactly. By a ton.

My dipole weighs 12oz. If you've got fishing line that can haul a half pound or more (plus the weight of the coax) over a tree limb without it breaking, then that's great. Personally, I don't think you can. If that's a requirement, then you can make one with really light wire. You could make it so light that you'd be afraid of the wire breaking. If you make it with 12 gauge wire or heavier, I seriously doubt that you'll be able to raise it up with fishing line. Frankly, what kind of coax and how much of it you need to reach the antenna will determine what kind of fishing line, twine, or rope you'll need to raise it up into a tree.

Close up of one of the ends:

10-Meter-Dipole-NEW-insulator-sm.jpg

No, dipoles are NOT directional. Beams are directional and made of a dipole, directors, and reflectors.
You can make wire beams that can be hung from trees, just Google it up.

More Q's? j999w (at) att (dot) net
1153.gif

Last edited:

EDOGZ818

my email is the same name at aol ( dot ) com

I tried to send you an email, did you get it?

kb2vxa

Banned
"Make one for a few bucks from the dimensions given earlier and mount it as an inverted V in your attic. Put the feed point low and the ends up near a 45deg angle hanging from the rafters..."
Just to set the record straight an inverted V is the opposite, hence the name >inverted< V. Come to think of it that would help overcome directional and polarization problems that may be encountered with a straight, horizontal dipole. It doesn't have to be exactly a 45deg angle, tacking the center to the spine of the roof and the ends to ceiling joists should do it in the average attic. I wouldn't worry about insulators either, dry wood will do it.

"True , but I have such a limited knowledge , that I don't feel confident building one. The more info I get the better."
I've given you all the info you'll ever need, now GIT 'ER DONE.

What's with you guys making mountains out of molehills, muddying the waters and scaring the berjeebers out of the poor guy? It has become obvious he's confused and suffering from information overload! I see this sort of thing all the time and it does more to discourage experimentation than anything else, counterproductive to say the least. If you really want to help and encourage rather than hinder and discourage remember KISS, keep it simple stupid.

Last edited:

EDOGZ818

True, because the last thing I felt like doing was experimenting. I feel kinda lost.

JayMojave

Hello Phil:

These are cheap antennas made for low power use and are not made for really getting out, but will work somewhat. When installed in the attic the wires needs to be away from any metal objects that may be up there, or at least as much distance as you can.

Dipole antennas should use a Balun between the Coax and the dipole wires. This does two things, it isolates the coaxes outer shield wire from dipole wire connected to coax shield wire, and forces equal currents into the dipole antenna. Another words is makes the dipole antenna work better.

A way older and way more snotty older distinushed radio enthusiast gentelmen who lives in Mojave Ca always told me at the monthly coffee get togethers at Fox Field Air Port that he didn't need no sissy stinking Balun as he got out on the lower HF Ham Bands for over 40 years without no stinking Balun, and so on and so on.....

So last year I get a call from him, asking what is and how does the Balun work, and could he put it on his dipole antennas. I told him and even offered to help install them as the older gentelmen doesn't get around all that well. After the Baluns were installed on wire made around the turn of the last centuty all of a sudon we didn't have RF in the shack, and his buddies back east could now hear him much better.

So the Balun really does help even with 100+ year old wire on 80 and 40 meters.

Jay in the Mojave

Phil siad:
I was wondering if this antenna will work , and what are the ups and downs to using it. I read these threads on "Radiorefernce" all the time and I know how helpful you guys are here.

I am just looking for someone to give me some more information or reviews about this kind of antenna.

Thanks,

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.