Family and Friends opinion on you having a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky43113

I get told all the time that what I am doing will land me in jail. Mainly when I mention listening to mil-air. They all tell me that stuff is all classified and I need to delete that stuff and forget all that I heard I just laugh, and they say stuff like everyone I listen to no matter who it is keeps logs of everyone who is listening to them so if something happens they can look at who was listening and go question and or arrest them.

DJ11DLN

Most of my friends either also scan or are sympathetic to those who do. What little family I have left either scans or doesn't care that I do. I occasionally stumble on an acquaintance who thinks that it is wrong or creepy or something...I tend not to set much store by the opinions of such folk.

My ex-wife was the reason I temporarily quit scanning back in the '90s...she could not abide the sound of a scanner, and thought that listening in on Public Safety comms was somehow immoral or otherwise bad. So I quit scanning, for awhile anyway, in the interest of "domestic tranquility." That of course didn't work out so well, and I'll never let anybody chase me away from the hobby again.

lucky43113

Most of my friends either also scan or are sympathetic to those who do. What little family I have left either scans or doesn't care that I do. I occasionally stumble on an acquaintance who thinks that it is wrong or creepy or something...I tend not to set much store by the opinions of such folk.

My ex-wife was the reason I temporarily quit scanning back in the '90s...she could not abide the sound of a scanner, and thought that listening in on Public Safety comms was somehow immoral or otherwise bad. So I quit scanning, for awhile anyway, in the interest of "domestic tranquility." That of course didn't work out so well, and I'll never let anybody chase me away from the hobby again.

No one I know seems to have a problem with listening to the police /fire etc.. but it's when I say Military or commercial aircraft or the ISS they freak out some go as far as to say don't talk about it I don't want to hear it I don't want to be an accomplice to the crime

Eng74

No one I know seems to have a problem with listening to the police /fire etc.. but it's when I say Military or commercial aircraft or the ISS they freak out some go as far as to say don't talk about it I don't want to hear it I don't want to be an accomplice to the crime

As long as you don't talk about the black helicopters you should be fine. That's if they were any black helicopters. 😉

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Family & Friends Opinions on you having a scanner

Opinions about my scanners over the years - "you have your scanner with you? we heard all kinds of sirens 2 blocks over!", "cool!" "wild" "I love the way the little lights go across" "Wait! turn it back! I want to hear that one!"-Cell phone call in progress* "Where can I get one?" And Most recent a relative saying- "Dave, *deceased husband* always had his scanner with him too, he'd be mad as hell that Rockford was encrypting things" and my favorite... "I'm glad you had your scanner with you *just before Tornado event* we had time to get the tarp off of Green Giant's roof and secure the materials since we knew it was coming!" Saved them money and time knowing that winds and possible damage were coming to a construction project they were doing. We got done and back home in time to hide in the basement with the cats and dogs too. Everyone around me likes it as it's been a hobby of mine since 1974. During the F5 Plainfield IL Tornado, I was working a few counties north outside. We got the northern part of that storm and there were 90mph winds ripping through town. I was able to coordinate my route to be at an apartment complex with large walk-down basements just as it came into our county thanks to hearing my scanner. Back at the office, my Boss had HIS scanners out listening. Tonight I heard a traffic stop, some guy had 66 arrests, 47 convictions. Those are the kind of "folks" who were let out of prison recently. I want to know where repeat offenders like THAT are for sure. So If people like going around life completely oblivious to danger and sadistic kooks nearby? they're welcome to do it. I just make sure I have my scanner no matter what their opinions are.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmich52

Sounds about right, But some people will call me a "Scanner Geek" with all my toys But they r the ones that r are always asking me if I heard this/that etc

Wifey is indifferent on my toy collection, She knew of my addiction right off 32 yrs ago And there is no hope for rehab on it lol

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
My co workers call my office the "comm center". #1 was a fire chief years ago and still listens to scanners. #2 just thinks I'm stupid, and says everything I hear is just BS. #3 likes to listen if there is something going on.

As far as family, my son thinks I'm just wasting money on "those things". But, that's ok, I think he wasted money on 2 cars he never drives. My wife thinks I have too many, but otherwise likes to listen even though she won't admit it to anyone else.

Most others don't seem to care, and will call me on occasion if they hear sirens.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
talked to the EMS instructor at the college about scanning. I asked, do you own a scanner? He replied, "a long time ago. you can't hear anything around here anymore" LOL. I replied, "really? that's not true!" I live on the east coast near Virginia Beach. This place is the scanning mecca. So much to listen to, civilian and at least 6 different military bases. I cant believe more people here are not into scanning. I lived in the armpit of the nation for 16 years (Brownsville TX but I wont say the name on here) and scanned NOTHING during all that time to stay alive in the hobby. People there did not know what a scanner was to even comment on it. LOL. When they saw me with my handheld listening to nothing, they assumed I was border patrol.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I get told all the time that what I am doing will land me in jail. Mainly when I mention listening to mil-air. They all tell me that stuff is all classified and I need to delete that stuff and forget all that I heard I just laugh, and they say stuff like everyone I listen to no matter who it is keeps logs of everyone who is listening to them so if something happens they can look at who was listening and go question and or arrest them.

That is hilarious! It's surprising how sheltered, and naive some people are. It's like they live in a bubble. I listen to scanners, and own firearms too. OMG!!! I surprised no one has called DHS! :lol:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
In my case, all family just except the fact of all my radios and don't get excited and say it's illegal or land me in jail. They all know better. Friends some times want to know what's going on around town or if I heard what's going on during the storms, etc. My neighbors are professional people, retired police chief, movie sound tech, automotive repair shop owner, etc. They all know the law; and some times come to me to see what I've heard about such and such crime that occur yesterday...they get a kick out of knowing a little more than the news media. lol

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I try to introduce people to scanners, and monitoring the public safety services. I think it's important to be aware of what's really going on in your community, but also, how well they respond to situations.

I often re-route my plans, and even where I shop, or eat, depending on what I'm hearing on my scanner on a particular day. You can avoid traffic jams, construction, chemical spills, political demonstrations, high crime areas, etc.

pb_lonny

While she does not have a RR account yet, she is supportive. My two year old daughter likes to listen too and I often give her one to use.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
Or they think you're a crook!

a landlord I used to rent from eyed my scanner suspiciously as if I was a criminal trying to keep the upper hand on the cops should they break down my door PS I am no crook and have no sympathy for criminals. If the police were after someone I doubt a scanner would save them anyway.

Family thinks I am a conspiracy nut because I have a scanner. Coming from people that watch TV all the time their opinion matters about as much as a tumblin' tumbleweed.

Friend (singular) just said "Wow, so what all can you hear on that thing?? is that legal??" I hear that a lot, from people that have not taken law courses telling ME what the "law" is, and how they are illegal! lol. I ask them what law school they went to and that usually USUALLY shuts them down.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
I try to introduce people to scanners, and monitoring the public safety services. I think it's important to be aware of what's really going on in your community, but also, how well they respond to situations.

I often re-route my plans, and even where I shop, or eat, depending on what I'm hearing on my scanner on a particular day. You can avoid traffic jams, construction, chemical spills, political demonstrations, high crime areas, etc.

I love that first paragraph: "important to know what's going on in your community" that really sums up kind of what attracts me most about scanner monitoring. You really do get a clear picture on what is happening. The news often doesn't carry all the things I hear day to day on the scanner. I can hear what kind of people are committing crimes, who what why people are calling dispatch, etc. I don't need to look up statistics on the internet about crime rate I hear it as it happens live.

bwinking

Most of my friends have scanners, or 2 meter ht's with extended receive, I gave a lot of my family members a scanner to listen to, some enjoyed it, others might turn it on if they hear sirens. haven't heard many comments from people I know, strangers will say you're just nosey, I say no I like to be informed, 24 years ago when I delivered pizza, I avoided wrecks, fire trucks blocking streets, saw a funnel cloud over the Mississippi river as it dissipated, rarely did I go see something that I heard about on it, I've been a licensed ham for close to 34 years , my Diamond discone has been in use 30 years, the antennacraft discone started falling apart after 3 or 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.