Fannin County SO - NXDN Traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Had the analog scanner on this afternoon and heard some familiar NXDN digital rumbling on Fannin SO's dispatch channel. I wasn't able to capture any details, like RAN or UID's but it was definitely NXDN and happened a few times. It might have been just some quick testing as all of the dispatch traffic is still analog. I doubt the analog users can hear the digital as the analog channels use CTCSS. I'll try to log some traffic with Pro-Scan & Uniden SDS but thought I'd post the topic so others can listen up as well. Blue Ridge PD went NXDN last year so this isn't any big surprise.
Vern

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Update:
RAN 36, 4800 bps (6.25 kHz) Repeater is in Mixed Mode allowing both NXDN and Analog traffic to pass through. All NXDN traffic heard sounded like routine "radio check" testing.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I understand that 6.25 is actually more effective than 12.5 on NXDN ("Verry Narrow" V/S "Narrow") How can this be?

Vern

Premium Subscriber
I understand that 6.25 is actually more effective than 12.5 on NXDN ("Verry Narrow" V/S "Narrow") How can this be?
I'm no engineer so I can't explain the technical differences. All I can tell you is that there is one 12.5 kHz Nexedge system within Rx range of me and a lot of 6.25 kHz Nexedge systems. To my ears, there is no contest -- the 6.25 audio sounds much better to me than the 12.5. As always, someone else's mileage may vary...

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Yep, that's the same I hear as well. It is much more efficient that way.

Seems completely opposite of Analog 25 Khz v/s 12.5 Khz, where you lost range when narrowbanding.

Railroads will be 6.25 on Nxdn, by the way. That's what got me to wondering.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
That's negative. There may be some yards and crossing annunciators and so forth using 12.5 now, but it will be 6.25 when the fat lady sings.

Status
Not open for further replies.