Fanshaw-London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappyton

Talking with a special constable at fanshaw in london. It seems they are going to be switching from their VHF radios (cdm's in the 2 security cars) to moto terbo for their security stuff.

Any idea why they would do that? And how it would be better then their VHF system now?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Spectrum is pushing the TRBO radios pretty hard. Better audio quality, more secure blah blah. For a small group like Fanshawe Security I'm not sure why they would be looking to upgrade. Perhaps they were having issues with their VHF system.

Cappyton

One of their supervisors who got the cars and radios said they love the system as it is now, no problems or anything. The VHF was more secure then UHF and they had more options with VHF.. But now they want something more secure... for what ever reason. Dont see they just dont get their channels they have now, encrypted rather then going to the trbo.
I think they have 2-4 vhf channels as it is now.

And they are the only college to have special constables in canada. (or so they say)

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I thought they were just 'security' there, not special constables....but I could be way off base. UWO CCPS (Campus Community Police Service) are special constables... and I've heard rumblings a few times that London PS doesn't like that and would prefer them to be just a private security company. True? Dunno.

Back to Fanshawe, I know they got a fair chunk of $$ from the government not too long ago for infrastructure upgrades and such. Perhaps this is a case of money burning a hole in someones pocket. Strathroy-Caradoc PS still haven't resolved the problems on their TRBO system. They switched to digital for a few weeks and have been back to analog for a few months now.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I spoke with a friend with a very large two way firm who are selling TRBO and he couldn't believe that a Public Safety agency would consider it.

He figures the system isn't quite ready for prime time. They've been selling it to a lot of security departments at various companies but haven't even considered pushing it to Public Safety agencies.

Cappyton

Basicly all the university police services are special constables, colleges all have security other then fanshaw they just got special constable status this year.

The big problem is progard.. they hold the trademark for the black and white paint style in canada. Black car with white doors (front and back) and they said they are seeing what options they have for any police services in canada that has black and white. They are in violation of the trademark. St thomas and kitchner are ok since they are blue and white, opp are fine since its just the front doors.

But this security company is getting pushy and is going to cause problems. Also... any idea what their radio system is? They have laptops too.

What would the price difference be for fanshaw to get their radios encrypted rather then switching to trbo?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You can have a trademark on a black and white car? Wow. I shake my head at that one.

As far as going encrypted it would depend on the number of radios involved etc etc. Obviously there are different levels of encryption and security from encrypted analog to P25 with AES or ProVoice etc etc. That's the one big selling feature of TRBO... it's 'secure' in the sense that it's digital, no scanner can currently follow it, and it wouldn't be easy to program up a real radio to listen in.

Apparently Sarnia Fire is transitioning from their EDACS system to TRBO. I'm really curious to see how that turns out.

Cappyton

I guess you can. Maybe thats why alot of services are going dark blue/black.

Hm.. Maybe they will still go with it, and if like strathroy it dont work out.. go for a encryption for their radios. They have maybe 40 radios or more that are portable, but thats for the whole school. Not just security... Not sure if every radio can go to the security channel or not thou.

And why is sarnia doing that? Dont like the system as it is? Coverage problems or something?

KCA6YU

King Charles Adam 6 Young Union
A security company (Progard) having black and white vehicles is the most stupidest thing I have seen and heard of. Only real law enforcement vehicles should be painted that way.

Cappyton

Yep. They kind of screwed over law enforcement.
New security standards are comming into play soon. Every security car in canada has to have security on the front and back in 3 inch lettering. They cannot have red,blue,purple,gold,and i think 1 more colour of stripes on their cars. So people like garda will have to change their decals

Anyone from the london area know progards radio system?

Oh also london police is upgrading their system too. Getting all new m7100's for the car and jags for the portables. And getting rid of their microwave system for the laptops and going with rogers for wireless internet city wide. Cheeper and faster they said. And all their comms are incrypted. They have one of the best tech stuff for their system

Annnnd i noticed the motorola place moved in london.. Any idea to what place? Aswell as the macom dealer?

newtoscanning

Big Mistake about campus security vs police

Let's make sure we don't go commenting on topics we have no background/experience in.

1. There is a HUGE difference between a college and a university.
2. MANY universities in Ontario have campus SECURITY (regardless they try and make themselves look like police) (ie. Ryerson, York, Trent, Queens, Brock, UOIT, Laurentian, Laurier)
3. All of the colleges that are owned/run by UofT (I think there are 3) are covered by the campus police.

Basicly all the university police services are special constables, colleges all have security other then fanshaw they just got special constable status this year.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Oh also london police is upgrading their system too. Getting all new m7100's for the car and jags for the portables. And getting rid of their microwave system for the laptops and going with rogers for wireless internet city wide. Cheeper and faster they said. And all their comms are incrypted. They have one of the best tech stuff for their system

Annnnd i noticed the motorola place moved in london.. Any idea to what place? Aswell as the macom dealer?

LPS guys have been carrying Jags for a while now... although I still see some LPE's out there. Hard to tell in the cars since the 7100's look like the Orions. And they have been encrypted all along, so nothing new there.

I'm not sure where Digital Mobile moved to.... My office is in that same plaza on Exeter Road where they used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.