FAQ: Florida's Scanner Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Floridian's, i live in GA, my mother lives in FMB ( Fort Myers Beach ) and i may be attending the Lakeland airshow this year. i DO NOT have a HAM or Amateur License. can i bring my Pro-83 to the airshow without any problems? i know the law is written that a person cannot even "Transport" a device, so how do i get it to the show? am i just being paranoid? just stuff it in my camera bag and dont take it out until inside the airport grounds?

advise me please
Don't even worry about it.... So shoot me dead if any officer even knows about that law or knows about that kind of technology. Most officers just know how to use there radios and don't care about the technology that makes them work. I used to work on an Air Force base, with my radio in the car, the base officers asked me what it was because that thought it was cool but really had no idea, it was even possible receive radio transmissions on an other then issued radios. Honestly, you should be more worried about the FHP doing speed checks in the middle of the night with all of there cars lights off. LOL

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
FYI, there's a great big loophole in the Florida scanner law that you can drive a truck through.

It specifically addresses FREQUENCY MODULATED radios. ONLY frequency modulated radios.

In SOME cases, digital trunked radio systems use emission designators that do not contain the letter F in them. If that is the case, then the law does not address them.

This IS a technicality but the law is all about technicalities. If you were only listening to systems that did not have an F in their emission designators, you would win in court.

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
florida scanner law

I'm going to be in Florida on Jan 28th flying in to Orlando then going to drive to the Florida KEYS back to Miami area and back to Orlando I'm going to a couple of ham radio conventions..

I'm a license ham radio operator and I do plan on taking my scanner,with me

I did read some stuff on this sight from about 12 years ago is there any updates on the scanner laws in Florida?

my understanding of it you have to be a a license ham radio operator which I'm to have a scanner in your car setting on the seat

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
i dont think its changed much, but as long as you arent actively displaying it no one would really bother you, i mean you arent going to carry a blue light (Or Red highly illegal in FL) and carrying a badge to pull people over ( it has been done several times) just be responsible and no one will mess with you

Rred

If you are worried about legality, you might also want to print out that statute and carry it with you. Cops, anywhere, are not known for being well-informed about subtleties of law, like "does not apply to hams".

Florida cops are among the many that have been getting a lot of press recently about "I thought it was a gun" and shooting folks who shouldn't have been shot. The "gun" has been known to be a cell phone, or a toy fire truck (honestly!) and sometimes even being held by someone beside the person who was shot. They get nervous. Ask any cop who pulls over vehicles, a vehicle stop is the most dangerous and worrisome thing they can do. So right or wrong...something shiny on the front seat can get you shot by a poorly disciplined cop, in any state.

Southeast Florida has also had a number of recent incidents where a fake cop, pulling people over on the road, has been tracked down. If it isn't a marked car...many agencies recommend calling 911 and continuing to drive, slowly, to a public place or police station. (Not just in Florida.)

If you're using it secure it to some kind of mount. If you're not using it, stow it someplace. And if you really want to be safe...painting your scanner, cell phone, wallet, comb, and keyring with bright pink paint might not be as ridiculous as it sounds. I won't tell you how many driver safety seminars I've been to where either an instructor or a LEO said, right up front, "If you are pulled over, shut the engine, roll down the window, and keep both hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 in plain sight." These are cops, formally telling you how to not get shot by a nervous cop.

The world isn't what it used to be.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
In 15+ years in southeast Florida I have never once had any trouble resulting from my scanner being perched in plain view on top of the dashboard.

The only thing that remotely comes close is when a sleepy friend was driving both of us on the very start of a road trip and just plain drifted through a red light at 4 AM after the green left arrow came on. Naturally the only other car on the street was a local town cop who just told him to wake up and pay attention and oh, by the way is that a scanner?

"Just my ham radio."

"Oh, OK. Drive safely!"

That was it. They have bigger fish to fry and more coffee and Bavarian creams to devour.

alanlungs2

i dont think its changed much, but as long as you arent actively displaying it no one would really bother you, i mean you arent going to carry a blue light (Or Red highly illegal in FL) and carrying a badge to pull people over ( it has been done several times) just be responsible and no one will mess with you
A red light is not highly illegal in Florida. Volunteer firefighters and medical technicians (notice I didn't say EMT that is how the law is written) are permitted to have a red light on their POV.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
A red light is not highly illegal in Florida. Volunteer firefighters and medical technicians (notice I didn't say EMT that is how the law is written) are permitted to have a red light on their POV.

ok Highly Illegal may be exaggerating, however as stated in FS [SIZE=-1]316.2397[/SIZE] they must have a written permit and can only use a red light in the performance of duties.it does not mean an EMT err sorry technician or FF from another state can display one... in Florida we have had several individuals that chose to abuse this law having Blue lights which for civilians is definitely not allowed and can get you charged with impersonating a police officer. one tool in question had a fully programmed MTS-2000 and showed a badge to undercover Miami cops and was wanted in Osceola for pulling the same stunt, we had a medic pull someone over with a blue light as well one time and he got in big trouble

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

However you miss the intent of my post, in relation to scanner use the OP is a licensed Amateur Radio Operator and thus may have a scanner in his vehicle, but as long as he is responsible he wont have any problems - though the second statute mentioned was additional penalties if they find a scanner in your possession during the commission of a crime.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I go to vero beach once a year and bring my scanners & 2 way radio that i had transmit disabled to listen to PD & fire & never had a police officer approach me on having them , I bet most dont care or unaware of the law, As long as your not doing something to attract attention you should be ok, personally if i wAs a cop I would not even bother anyone with a scanner unless they were commiting a Crime.

jafarm66

I go to vero beach once a year and bring my scanners & 2 way radio that i had transmit disabled to listen to PD & fire & never had a police officer approach me on having them , I bet most dont care or unaware of the law, As long as your not doing something to attract attention you should be ok, personally if i wAs a cop I would not even bother anyone with a scanner unless they were commiting a Crime.

An officer may think differently and be strict if he is below quota (I assume some departments have them) and it is near the end of the month,

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Jason,

I've never had issues with lights on my vehicle when visiting florida as I am displaying out of state plates. One time I was asked to show credentials when a cop happen to see it as a fuel station. Apparently not used to seeing a unmarked vehicle with full size lightbar.

Florida scanner law

I looked at the Florida scanner law and it says it's illegal for a person to have one in a vehicle, do they mean the OPERATOR of the vehicle and not passengers? Or can the passengers not have one either? Also I was down in florida this year for my birthday and a OCSO sherriff told me it was "illegal" for me to have my scanner out in the open walking around (mightve been a slow day for him), another sherriff (3 of them) said it was completely fine, I would also like to know if the law has been updated in the last few years..
So does the law only apply to vehicles or just having one in general?

wbswetnam

My understanding is that police scanners are illegal for "mobile use". If you're walking around in your yard, does that make you "mobile"? Good question. However, if you get an amateur radio operator's license (you do NOT have to learn Morse code anymore, and the technician's license is pretty easy) then you can have a police scanner in your car and the cops can't say anything. There is a loop hole in Florida law for amateur radio operators to use mobile scanners. So, study for your scann... umm, err, ham license so that you can use your scanner any place you like.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Why not go to Florida scanner law, which states it is illegal to have in a vehicle period, unless you are a licensed ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.