Far Western NCSHP 453 UHF Assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airboss

Silent Key
While trolling the FCC database recently I found three interesting NCSHP licenses for our far western counties of Cherokee, Clay and Graham.

Clay County
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY934 453.71250 2016-01-04 A 1 0 FB2 PW HAYESVILLE
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY934 458.71250 2016-01-04 A 250 0 MO PW HAYESVILLE

Cherokee County
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY935 453.21250 2016-01-04 A 1 0 FB2 PW MURPHY
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY935 458.21250 2016-01-04 A 250 0 MO PW MURPHY

Graham County
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY811 453.46250 2015-12-30 1 0 FB2 PW ROBBINSVILLE
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY811 458.46250 2015-12-30 250 0 MO PW ROBBINSVILLE

So far haven't heard a thing on any of them. Anyone here have any insight or heard anything on what they may want to use these UHF frequencies for?

Thanks de Larry

N8IAA

While trolling the FCC database recently I found three interesting NCSHP licenses for our far western counties of Cherokee, Clay and Graham.

Clay County
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY934 453.71250 2016-01-04 A 1 0 FB2 PW HAYESVILLE
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY934 458.71250 2016-01-04 A 250 0 MO PW HAYESVILLE

Cherokee County
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY935 453.21250 2016-01-04 A 1 0 FB2 PW MURPHY
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY935 458.21250 2016-01-04 A 250 0 MO PW MURPHY

Graham County
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY811 453.46250 2015-12-30 1 0 FB2 PW ROBBINSVILLE
NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL WQWY811 458.46250 2015-12-30 250 0 MO PW ROBBINSVILLE

So far haven't heard a thing on any of them. Anyone here have any insight or heard anything on what they may want to use these UHF frequencies for?

Thanks de Larry

Here in GA, they use them for car to car chats. Some maybe used to talk to counties and cities who are on UHF.
Larry

Airboss

Silent Key
Thanks Larry. Will certainly keep that in mind. Have stored them in their own special little group in the discovery scanner so maybe they will reveal themselves soon.

Thanks again de Chief Larry

Here in eastern NC many moons ago, the SHP had remote receivers set up in various locations that would receive the car-to-base side of the low band freq pair and send that audio back to the assigned communications center (Raleigh, Williamston, Wilmington, etc) over the UHF side. In Wilmington, I believe the freq was 453.000. You could monitor this with a handheld scanner in the Wilmington area and hear all of the car-to-base side of things, and then monitor 42.380 along with that and hear the dispatcher from E-town (since there is a low band site in Wilmington).

There was a similar setup in Goldsboro and a few others that I cannot remember at the moment.

With the SHP going through and changing all of their licenses to add all of the different emission designators, there is no telling what or where these freqs will be used for these days, unless you happen to know someone in the comm shop at SHP that has the info.

It never hurts to plugs freqs like these into a scanner and scan them. You'll never know what you'll hear or when you'll hear it...

Airboss

Silent Key
The activity you describe is what we have on 155.445 now. I live close to one of the major US highways that they patrol and can tell when they are working certain stretches of that highway as I hear their vehicle repeaters on 155.445. Those three repeater freqs are in a scanner I have that monitors my unknowns and recording activity 24/7. If they sneeze, I should know about it. Just thought I would check here in case someone is plugged into the comm shop and knew what they are doing with these three freqs. Thanks for the thoughts and I will watch to see if that is what they use it for.

Flyham

The activity you describe is what we have on 155.445 now. I live close to one of the major US highways that they patrol and can tell when they are working certain stretches of that highway as I hear their vehicle repeaters on 155.445. Those three repeater freqs are in a scanner I have that monitors my unknowns and recording activity 24/7. If they sneeze, I should know about it. Just thought I would check here in case someone is plugged into the comm shop and knew what they are doing with these three freqs. Thanks for the thoughts and I will watch to see if that is what they use it for.

2 for the price of 1 post, Here we go.

1) I'm actually surprised that your hearing anything on VHF from the cars. I was under the impression that all the in-car VHF repeaters would be removed due to VHF narrow-band mandates. Maybe an exception was made until VIPER 700/800 coverage is assured in the western part.

2) as for the UHF stuff, they "use to be" comm center to transmitter sites, and yes as others stated you could indeed catch both sides of the conversation. However I believe those to have been removed as microwave now handles the comm center to site and site to site links.

Airboss

Silent Key
Thanks Nathan for your thoughts on this. I am also surprised to still hear the vehicle repeaters here.

These three UHF assignments are brand new as of 12-30-2015 and 1-4-2016 so I sorta doubt it is something that is being being phased out as they are brand spanking new here.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
453.2125, 453.4625 and 453.7125 are three of the four UHF national interoperability channels.

Yep these are the UHF "UCALL" and "UTAC" National Interop freqs:

gocyPea.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
They also licensed a repeater on those freqs here in McDowell on Dobson Knob a couple of months ago.
BTW the backhauls were on 452/457 mhz

Airboss

Silent Key
Thanks Marshall for posting that chart. While this may be the case that it is interop, none of the local LE agencies are licensed for these freqs (it is NCSHP only). Given the current use of VIPER County TGs by a couple of departments here locally, I would be surprised if they ended up using a UHF Interop system (we have enough VHF Interop around here for sure). Given the license on file I still feel this is limited to the NCSHP unless I see some local LE agencies license up for them as well. But the bottom line it is all moot until I hear something key up on one of these new 453 MHz repeaters. That will let us all know the real tale of the tape.

Thanks all for your response de Larry in Btown

Airboss

Silent Key
I have 5 version sitting in one of my freq folders on this computer. I also have all those NIFOG freqs in my personal local db just in case something pops around here in the Tri-State. You never know for sure when one of these are going to pop up and signal events you would want to be aware of. I agree Marshall that NIFOG is an important scanner monitors tool.

73 de Larry

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I keep the UHF freqs in scanners here at my radio shop....my city issued APX 7000 is VHF/700/800 so I can't place the UHF stuff in it but I always have at least a HomePatrol HP-2 scanning if not also my BCD436HP/BCD536HP :)
Nothing like the joy in hearing a rarely used freq all of the sudden come alive with radio traffic.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I have 5 version sitting in one of my freq folders on this computer. I also have all those NIFOG freqs in my personal local db just in case something pops around here in the Tri-State. You never know for sure when one of these are going to pop up and signal events you would want to be aware of. I agree Marshall that NIFOG is an important scanner monitors tool.

73 de Larry

NC1

While this may be the case that it is interop, none of the local LE agencies are licensed for these freqs

Just found this in the Q&A section of their Operations Guide:

How can I use these frequencies if I don’t have a license for them?
"For FCC licensees, the non-Federal National Interoperability Channels VCALL10-VTAC14 and
VTAC33-38, UCALL40-UTAC43D, the 800 MHz interoperability channels, and 8C A L L90-8TAC94D
are covered by a “blanket authorization” from the FCC - “Public safety licensees ... can operate
mobile units on these interoperability channels without an individual license."

It appears they don't need to list the freq., that is IF I'm reading it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.