Farmington Hills FD; Not Hearing Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
Not hearing the individual units respond to dispatch, Farmington Hills Fire Dept. Are they in the process of switching over to the Open Sky system ??? Still hearing dispatch, but nothing afterwards.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The other night, they were having severe radio problems understanding their units on the OpenSky radio system. Their transmissions were so unintelligible, the fire crews had to use their cells to communicate with dispatch. Thankfully, there were only minor incidents that took place, and nothing major happened.

73s

Ron

Jimmy252

Their ultimate plan is to dispatch runs over UHF [for the pagers] but have all units respond on opensky without a patch. So basically 423.375 is going to be only the toneouts and dispatch call for the Paid-On-Call employees. All other radio traffic will be on open sky.

SCPD

QRT
Mutant techs

The other night, they were having severe radio problems understanding their units on the OpenSky radio system. Their transmissions were so unintelligible, the fire crews had to use their cells to communicate with dispatch. Thankfully, there were only minor incidents that took place, and nothing major happened.

73s

Ron

Geez I hate to start this wah again, but I just can't believe the technicians that set up this system didn't provide an analog simplex channel or two. And it's not a OpenSky wah, even with P25, so many systems are set up with no way for first responders to communicate if the repeaters go down. And that's the vendors and the techs being clueless, I'm sorry but you know it's true. It's like, you give some vendor millions of dollars to get you a state of the art cutting edge communications system, and no one involved in implementing it has the foresight to anticipate the system going down. And I'm sorry, but it boils down to the radio techs who are putting the templates, that as far as I'm concerned, can take a lot of the blame for not saying "Wait a minute, what about if this happens?". People who have been working with radio systems for years and years don't think about this when they are programming repeater frequencies into the radios? Like they have never had a repeater go down the entire time they've been a radio tech.

OK, I'm done, sorry.

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
System Down Communications

The MPSCS system goes into to site trunking then into fail safe if the system goes down. Fail safe puts all traffic on one channel. Then there is the analog I-Call frequencies. Sometimes it's the user who has no clue how to change channels or zones.

The MPSCS techs I've met understand the system very well and know how to communicate. The training classes cover changing channels and zones too. Very few end users are radio geeks and many I've talked to don't change the channel or zones often enough to remember what is located where.

Seems a nice lamented cheat sheet for the radio would be helpful if mounted in the car or truck.

QUOTE=Wyandotte;1662408]Geez I hate to start this wah again, but I just can't believe the technicians that set up this system didn't provide an analog simplex channel or two. And it's not a OpenSky wah, even with P25, so many systems are set up with no way for first responders to communicate if the repeaters go down. And that's the vendors and the techs being clueless, I'm sorry but you know it's true. It's like, you give some vendor millions of dollars to get you a state of the art cutting edge communications system, and no one involved in implementing it has the foresight to anticipate the system going down. And I'm sorry, but it boils down to the radio techs who are putting the templates, that as far as I'm concerned, can take a lot of the blame for not saying "Wait a minute, what about if this happens?". People who have been working with radio systems for years and years don't think about this when they are programming repeater frequencies into the radios? Like they have never had a repeater go down the entire time they've been a radio tech.

OK, I'm done, sorry.[/QUOTE]

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Not hearing the individual units respond to dispatch, Farmington Hills Fire Dept. Are they in the process of switching over to the Open Sky system ??? Still hearing dispatch, but nothing afterwards.

Umm they have been on the Opensky system for at least a year now, while patching all their audio over to the old UHF channel. That is why most of the audio sounds like crap.

Geez I hate to start this wah again, but I just can't believe the technicians that set up this system didn't provide an analog simplex channel or two. And it's not a OpenSky wah, even with P25, so many systems are set up with no way for first responders to communicate if the repeaters go down. And that's the vendors and the techs being clueless, I'm sorry but you know it's true. It's like, you give some vendor millions of dollars to get you a state of the art cutting edge communications system, and no one involved in implementing it has the foresight to anticipate the system going down. And I'm sorry, but it boils down to the radio techs who are putting the templates, that as far as I'm concerned, can take a lot of the blame for not saying "Wait a minute, what about if this happens?". People who have been working with radio systems for years and years don't think about this when they are programming repeater frequencies into the radios? Like they have never had a repeater go down the entire time they've been a radio tech.

OK, I'm done, sorry.

Ummm what???? Troy FD uses fireground freqs that are analog simplex. They dispatch, call enroute, and on scene on the opensky system. They then switch over to the assigned fireground freq. Any request for additional resources goes through command which goes to dispatch on opensky. I know this for a fact. Now I am not sure if other departments do it this way, but the ability is most definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.