Farmington Police terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been hearing the following new termonology being used lately...

A cruiser will call dispatch and state the following; “Watch Guard”. “Audio and Mic Operation”. Dispatch simply acknowledges it with “Roger”. I’ve heard two different cars use this yesterday. So far today only one...

Wondering if anyone might have a clue to what they are referring to? It seems redundant to state “audio” and “mic”, both terms relating to sound... as opposed to “video” and “mic”. But that’s what I’m hearing.

Reconrider

Sounds like testing. Audio could be dispatch talking to officer to see if it’s clear and mic is officer talking to dispatch to make sure it’s clear.
Might have had some areas that didn’t have coverage before and do now or they’re trying to figure out where dead spots are.

P25andstuff

Ok. Body cams. Probably testing them out. Thanks.
I hear that to every morning. Ive been listening to Farmington for months now and they do it everyday. Its just basically a system check so that everything is working and that has to be confirmed by the dispatcher every morning. Watch guard is a Dash cam company. And for the mic portion watch-guard makes little boxes that go on officers belts that captures audio. Its for liability if the officer turns them off during a scene where he could be messing it up or not being polite to a subject, like if the officer claims the audio/cams weren't working the dispatch can say he radioed in this morning stating they were operational. I don't think Farmington police has Body Cams, at least from what I have seen.

Cheeseburgers

a 302 is pulling over a wine aunt
a 308 is pulling over a soccer mom, who is drinking wine
a 316 is pulling over a dog, with soccer mom passed out in the back, due to wine

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Already have the radio codes. Most understand the codes are used for brevity, not security. (I wonder how many times a new encrypted trunked system was justified by using the excuse “Everybody knows our radio codes! Which is a load of bunk.) Anything they don’t want over the air goes by MDT or cell phone which uses encrypted cellular data nets in this state.

Cheeseburgers

Thats why I wonder why have the secure channels on CLMRN at all since they're always saying "gimmie a 33"

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yea, know what you mean. I chalk those phone calls up to conversations where personal opinions are being voiced. It may be just spitballing but there’s always that chance it could come around to bite you in the ass. And don’t forget about “Big Brother is Listening”. A lot of the comms are recorded.

Cheeseburgers

I WISH they did iCall like Hartford PD used to do a few years back... it got very spicey on an almost daily basis.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I listened to a drug stakeout on an open channel... wondered why they chose that instead of any one of the pool frequencies available to the police, both encrypted and in the clear.

KB1JHU

Thats why I wonder why have the secure channels on CLMRN at all since they're always saying "gimmie a 33"

There's a component to secure comms that a lot of people forget about, what's audible from a speaker. You may not be able to hear it on the scanner, but someone standing in line at the coffee shop behind an officer might.

Status
Not open for further replies.