Fascia Mast Mount Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenH999

I'm hopeful this is an easy solution that is just escaping me. I'll bet someone out there has faced this.

Have a Tram 1411 Discone I intend to mount on a 10ft fence top rail. Plan is to securely attach a section of pressure treated 1x6 (~22") horizontally on the fascia using lag screws thru the fascia into roof joists. Then want to attach a vertical piece of the 1x6 approx 18" long to the (fascia-angled) horizontal base. Plenty of room to use 3 or 4 EMT conduit 2 hole brackets to hold the pipe.

BUT, with the angle of the fascia, how can I get the pipe to at least near vertical. Kinda looked at 'shimming' the vertical with a piece of furring strip behind the vertical piece but not pleased with how it opens the top attach points between the vertical and horizontal pieces. Hope that makes sense?

Any ideas on how to achieve near vertical mounting points for the mast and maximize the secure mounting? Open to any ideas to achieve a secure fascia mount with at least a near vertical mast.

Thanks!

Ken

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wood and EMT straps are probably not your best choices, but it's a hobby and you do what you can and what is in your budget.

Using two lengths of material, one near the top of the peak and one lower down will give you two even places to mount the mast.

I did this when I first moved into my current home and needed a short term setup. Only difference was I used some Uni-Strut and conduit clamps that I had in my stash. I wish I had a photo to share.

prcguy

As mentioned above its better to have two horizontal things spanning the facia, one above the other and for a 10ft mast and lightweight antenna I would want 2ft of spacing between the horizontal things. Dittio on using Unistrut, its extremely strong and resists bending and twisting plus you can use EMT conduit clamps made for Unistrut to hold a mast and easily adjust it vertical by sliding the clamps along the Unistrut.

KenH999

This will be on the fascia on back of the house, not on the end with a roof peak so there's no span involved. Fascia is angled in towards the house.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This will be on the fascia on back of the house, not on the end with a roof peak so there's no span involved. Fascia is angled in towards the house.

I'd find a different location or a different solution. A 10 foot pole + antenna with one attachment point into wood doesn't sound like a good long term plan. Either you need something anchored into the ground to support the weight and keep one end secured, or you need to look at a location where you can get two attachment points. They do make TV antenna supports that bolt directly to the side of the home and will probably support a small antenna.

prcguy

The eaves as you describe would only be good for mounting a lightweight mobile antenna and not a 10ft mast. You can mount a pole against the eaves that is partially in the ground but you would need something long enough to reach from the ground to the eaves then your 10ft above the eaves.

A J mount with outrigger arms from a DirecTV Slimline antenna will work fine, you can mount it at the edge of the roof, or anywhere on the roof and it will hold up a 10ft mast and Discone just fine. Use three stainless steel hose clamps to hold the mast to the vertical portion of the DirecTV mount.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I am a big fan of the satellite dish mounts. I'm using one (Robot Check) with a 18' fiberglass antenna. No joke. Been through 74 MPH winds with absolutely no issues at all. For a discone, I can't imagine it would have any problems.

prcguy

The dish that sits on that mount has much more wind load than the mast and Discone you will use. I had to put up a temporary 2m/440 antenna and got one of the 17ft Tram jobs through Home Depot and stuck it on the same type of J mount but with no outrigger arms. Its been up about a year with no problems so far.

Thanks all for the info. Will take a step back and re-evaluate my options. FYI: I found that the 2 monopoles from the DTV mount mentioned above are available separately. Amazon.com: 2 Support Arms Monopoles Braces DIRECTV KA/KU Slimline Dish Antenna Long/Short: Electronics and here 2 Support Arms Monopoles braces DIRECTV KA/KU slimline DISH antenna long/short

Status
Not open for further replies.