DSDPlus Fastlane having trouble decoding Phase II voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I have monitored multiple different types of systems such as DMR & NXDN along with Phase I systems and have received fantastic audio. Now all of a sudden I can't get good voice decode. I have my decode set to only decode P25, I live less than 2 miles from the tower, I have my gain low (because I'm so close) and bandwidth set at 12.5. I only monitor the fire department when they operate and occasionally our analog/digital MAC patches.

See the details below.

System: Scott County CPSCS Trunking System, Georgetown, Kentucky - Scanner Frequencies
(I have locked out all Encrypted Talkgroups)

Attachments

• Issues.PNG
    Issues.PNG
    621.2 KB · Views: 40

kruser

Premium Subscriber
FL is short for Fastlane!

The main window that has all the scrolling data. It can be hard getting a screen grab unless you can stop decoding without exiting the program. I'm sure there are simpler ways but I sometimes pull the antenna to stop decoding so I can grab a screenshot.
The main window does allow you to scroll back several lines so as long as you stop the data flow very quick after hearing the bad audio, you should be able to find the bad data along with an error message.
I guess the main window opens when you use FMP. I use raw discriminator audio.

It's the main Command window where you enter the command(s) to start DSDPLUS.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Ah ok, my apologies. So when i took the picture I took down the window but I've looked multiple times during traffic and have yet to notice any error.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I think some of the errors may just be shown with the letter e or maybe err. I don't really remember.
I'm not even sure anything in that data would help with your problem but I know others well versed with dsdplus have asked users with problems for a screenshot of that window before so it must contain something useful.

I've noticed poorer audio decodes on both NXDN and DMR signals with the last few versions of dsdplus. I've not had the time to troubleshoot and see if it's my hardware or something with the latest fastlane versions.
It seemed to start about the time they added the menu's into the current versions.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I just got DSD+ Fastlane and conventional seems to work fine on all modes but NXDN trunking & P25 have been giving me issues.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the control channel data may be seeing errors as well as voice frames.
I've never used it for following trunked systems being as I use a discriminator tap more than anything. I guess I mainly use DSD+ for data analysis of trunked systems and figuring out system types and channels for NXDN and DMR systems in my area. It works great for that with my discriminator taps. I also use it for conventional channel decoding and single channel decoding of some very light use P25 systems around here.

I do have a couple SDR sticks on my roof that I could easily use with DSD+ but I've never messed with them and DSD+ for some reason. I use them for aircraft stuff mainly.

jets1961

The system you are talking about is a Harris system. I have trouble with what little I can hear on the Harris system near me.

Try DSDtune to get your best setting, that might help (google it or search this site).

SaSal

What is the PC you decoding on - how much load is it under when decoding ? have had in the past when I was trying to decode more systems than a single Nuc could handle - audio-decode issues would start.
Also maybe check audio devices and and make sure levels not set 2 high or have any of the extra affects - boost- exclusive mode etc at the default on.
A pic of the other windows when decoding may help - or the full logs and snippet of the audio would really be best.

a417

What is the PC you decoding on - how much load is it under when decoding ? have had in the past when I was trying to decode more systems than a single Nuc could handle - audio-decode issues would start.
How many systems at once, and what was the proc on the Nuc? I've got a Pentium D 1(ish) gig unit running WinXP that is dutifully analyzing a P25 P1 system and I'm wondering how much more I can expect to push it with side work?

SaSal

How many systems at once, and what was the proc on the Nuc? I've got a Pentium D 1(ish) gig unit running WinXP that is dutifully analyzing a P25 P1 system and I'm wondering how much more I can expect to push it with side work?
i5 -1021 16GB - 2 x p25 systems and 2 x Proscan streaming was doable - was starting to avg over 50% load during busy times (peaks to 70-80%) had to run the power shell scripts on another VM that was doing the metadata side of things into Proscan.
Once added a 3rd p25 system, is when it started to have decoding garbled audio and even would notice that it would not always be channel chasing fast - would see that there would be a TG running but fmp(a) would be idle for a few seconds before jumping onto it. I also never tried to do 3 x streams as it was struggling.
Note this is also ding per call recording on all 3 p25 systems as well.

I have tried to offload the decoding to a VM on main server, but again found there to be too much of a delay in channel following and would miss part of the transmission, forcing the Nuc to also then stream.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Sorry, I didnt see all the replies till now. All the Harris systems around here always have issues on DSD+ for me. As soon as I lock onto a Motorola its no issue, for example the Tennessee state wide system or Louisville MetroSafe in Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.