FastLane Two dongle setup

LimaZulu

Well, I ran into problem trying to run two dongles setup on DSD+ Fastlane. I did it before with previous versions without any problem but last few versions I always used either 1R, Passive Digital Monitor or combination of both at the same time. So, I wonder, am I missing something that changed last few versions or am I missing something to turn on/off?!

Here is what is in my batch file:

start FMP24 -i1 -rc -o20003 -b4 -a1 -g19.7 -z0 -P43.7
start DSDPlus -i20003 -rc -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -T -wel650.-1615 -wes501.800 -weh15 -wcl5.-1611 -wch15
start FMP24 -i2 -rv -o20002 -a0 -b4 -g28 -z0 -P41.7
start DSDPlus -rv -i20002 -o3 -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -T -wel650.-813 -wes501.798 -weh15 -wcl1.-809 -wch15

All runs fine, CC is decoding OK, I can see DSD creates *.traffic file, but FMP24 VC does not tune to voice channels, respectively DSD VC does not decode anything.
Tried to delete dsdplus.bin file - no go. Used older version of my bat file that worked for sure - still no go. Created new bat file with minimal switches included - still the same. Started my two dongles in passive mode and changed one to CC and the other to VC trough the menu - did not helped.
Every different approach got me to the same result mentioned above. That's why I think I'm missing something major and I am sure it's something simple, in front of my eyes, but unfortunately still can't see it and I'll be happy if someone can point me in the right direction.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Maybe completely unrelated, but it's been suggested to separate the port numbers by more, like maybe use 20000 and 20020.

If you haven't already: try inserting PAUSE between each line; try starting the voice FMP24/DSDPlus pair before the control pair; try swapping which dongle is used for each role.

Reconrider

start FMP24 -i1 -rc -o20003 -b4 -a1 -g19.7 -z0 -P43.7
start DSDPlus -i20003 -rc -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -T -wel650.-1615 -wes501.800 -weh15 -wcl5.-1611 -wch15
start DSDPlus -rv -i20002 -o3 -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -T -wel650.-813 -wes501.798 -weh15 -wcl1.-809 -wch15

All runs fine, CC is decoding OK, I can see DSD creates *.traffic file, but FMP24 VC does not tune to voice channels, respectively DSD VC does not decode anything.
Not trying to sound mean/rude or anything of the such, but how can DSD know what to listen for if you don't have a frequency coded in the batch file?

Here's my batch file using 2 SDRs, compare mine to yours.

Few things to know before looking at the file.

REM means comment and is not read by windows.
CD is the location of where dsdplus.exe is at because my batch file is on my desktop, and dsd is in my C:/ root folder - I would suggest using this for your file also.
Start CMD /c just opens each program as a new cmd and doesn't have any 'hiccups' in any way.
timeout is to make the program wait 2 seconds before starting the next program
Line 4 holds the frequency for the system you're trying to monitor - change that to your frequency for the system you're trying to monitor.

Code:
ECHO
CD C:\DSDPlus Main
REM FMP24-CC.bat
Start CMD /c FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20011 -b12.5 -f774.0000 -e0
timeout /t 2
REM CC.bat
Start CMD /c "DSDPlus -rc -i20011 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL"
timeout /t 2
REM FMP24-VC.bat
Start CMD /c FMP24 -rv -i2 -o20012 -b12.5 -e0
timeout /t 2
REM VC.bat
Start CMD /c "DSDPlus -rv -i20012 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL"

Any questions, feel free to DM me or quote me so I can help ya out.

Reconrider

Maybe he manually tunes to a control channel. Or uses the DSD+ startup options. Or uses the site loader file.

Hard coding a channel in a batch file would be my last choice.
I've never done it that way. Seems pointless to have to always manually tune when dsd has a frequency arg that can be used. To each there other own I suppose

LimaZulu

Maybe completely unrelated, but it's been suggested to separate the port numbers by more, like maybe use 20000 and 20020.

Unfortunately, this did not helped at all

If you haven't already: try inserting PAUSE between each line; try starting the voice FMP24/DSDPlus pair before the control pair; try swapping which dongle is used for each role.

Tried all that before posting and does not solve the issue

Few things to know before looking at the file.

REM means comment and is not read by windows.
CD is the location of where dsdplus.exe is at because my batch file is on my desktop, and dsd is in my C:/ root folder - I would suggest using this for your file also.
Start CMD /c just opens each program as a new cmd and doesn't have any 'hiccups' in any way.
Line 4 holds the frequency for the system you're trying to monitor - change that to your frequency for the system you're trying to monitor.

Code:
ECHO
CD C:\DSDPlus Main
REM FMP24-CC.bat
Start CMD /c FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20011 -b12.5 -f774.0000 -e0
timeout /t 2
REM CC.bat
Start CMD /c "DSDPlus -rc -i20011 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL"
timeout /t 2
REM FMP24-VC.bat
Start CMD /c FMP24 -rv -i2 -o20012 -b12.5 -e0
timeout /t 2
REM VC.bat
Start CMD /c "DSDPlus -rv -i20012 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL"

Any questions, feel free to DM me or quote me so I can help ya out.

Thanks for the advices guys. First of all I have an experience into writing batch files, so what you are saying is not new to me :)
What I posted above as my startup sequence is the short version for the sake of simplicity and readability here on the forum :)
Here a bit detailed version of what my startup sequence looks like:

title trunkTracker

start automatic_backup.bat
start FMP24 -i1 -rc -o20023 -b4 -a1 -g19.7 -z0 -P43.7
timeout /t 1 /nobreak >nul
start DSDPlus -i20023 -rc -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -T -wel650.-1615 -wes501.800 -weh15 -wcl5.-1611 -wch15
start FMP-Map.exe
timeout /t 3 /nobreak >nul
timeout /t 1 /nobreak >nul

.... Or uses the DSD+ startup options. .....

Hard coding a channel in a batch file would be my last choice.

That's exactly what I am doing - Control-> Startup Options -> Load Last-Monitored Trunking System

Why holding batch file and the folder that is desgned to be in on a different locations? This is only useful if the batch file is designed to run multiple commands related to multiple folders.
On top of that I would also suggest to always use parentheses whenever there is a space in you file/folder names. In example CD C:\DSDPlus Main should be CD C:\"DSDPlus Main"
If you still want to do it that way I would suggest using /d or a variable for that purpose.
There is no need to start new CMD at each line just to execute one command, then wait for 2 seconds to close it and run it again just to execute next command. That's what timeout is for. It adds the delay you need before executing next command. Or you can use ping if you want to use a fraction of a second. In addition you can add /nobreak after every timeout just to be sure that you won't hit any key by accident and break the timeout as this will do it useless in this case
With all that being said you code will look like that if you decide to take the /d path:

Start /d C:\"DSDPlus Main" FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20011 -b12.5 -f774.0000 -e0
timeout /t 2 /nobreak
Start /d C:\"DSDPlus Main" DSDPlus -rc -i20011 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL
timeout /t 2 nobreak
Start /d C:\"DSDPlus Main" FMP24 -rv -i2 -o20012 -b12.5 -e0
timeout /t 2 nobreak
Start /d C:\"DSDPlus Main" DSDPlus -rv -i20012 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL

Or if you want to do it with vaiable:

set location="E:\HAM\DSDPlus"
Start %location% FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20011 -b12.5 -f774.0000 -e0
timeout /t 2 /nobreak
Start %location% DSDPlus -rc -i20011 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL
timeout /t 2 /nobreak
Start %location% FMP24 -rv -i2 -o20012 -b12.5 -e0
timeout /t 2 /nobreak
Start %location% DSDPlus -rv -i20012 -o1 -t -E -v4 -O NUL

Back on topic - the problem remains unsolved. Feel a little bit more lost now, when others can't see if I made any mistake :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hrh17

What's your dsdplus control channel dongle monitoring threshold set to? Is the format you want to monitor enabled? Eg p25 or dmr

Reconrider

[removed]
What I have works for me and has been doing so for the past year. I'll stick with it haha

Have you made a new DSD+ folder and started new? I've had something similar happen and I had to delete the old DSD and start a new one for it to work again.

Before you do that, try deleting the events file.

LimaZulu

Have you made a new DSD+ folder and started new? I've had something similar happen and I had to delete the old DSD and start a new one for it to work again.

Before you do that, try deleting the events file.
Yes, I did it - created new DSD folder, removed all *.event files, removed dsdplus.bin, created new bat files....doesn't solve the issue.

Reconrider

Yes, I did it - created new DSD folder, removed all *.event files, removed dsdplus.bin, created new bat files....doesn't solve the issue.
Have you tried using just 1 sdr to see if it'll follow the system?

Reconrider

Yes, 1R works just fine - it follows, it decodes...all as intended.

Hmm, super super odd.
Do you get any info in the event windows for CC or VC?

When you run your batch file and all the program windows popup, do you see both scopes for CC and VC? Does the CC stay tuned on the one frequency?

With dsd open, on the VC event window, go to output and make sure "synthesize all audio" is selected
And on input, make sure "monitor source audio always" is selected
Output speaker is selected.
Verify that p25 is selected under Decode
Last but not least, i would suggest checking the volume in the output tab is not under -25 or it will basically be muted.

LimaZulu

Hmm, super super odd.
Do you get any info in the event windows for CC or VC?

VC Event window show all that is going on on the system. In other words CC DSD is decoding control channel just fine.

When you run your batch file and all the program windows popup, do you see both scopes for CC and VC? Does the CC stay tuned on the one frequency?

Yes I see them both.
CC FMP stays tuned to the control channel but VC remains Idle (all grayed out) waiting to be tuned to voice channel, which unfortunately never happens.

With dsd open, on the VC event window, go to output and make sure "synthesize all audio" is selected

Yes, it is checked.

And on input, make sure "monitor source audio always" is selected
Output speaker is selected.

I usually uncheck source audio, but if I tunr it on I can hear control channel digital "noise"

Verify that p25 is selected under Decode
Last but not least, i would suggest checking the volume in the output tab is not under -25 or it will basically be muted.

I am monitoring NXDN48 systems, so that's what I checked. Audio volume is set to 0 (as always was, including the time when the setup was working without any issues)

Reconrider

I am monitoring NXDN48 systems
Oh yes, I have issues with nxdn systems. I've found it works 100 times better with 1 sdr than it does with 2 SDRs.

I haven't figure out why it works worse with 2 sdrs, but I've defaulted to using 1 when trying to figure out / listen to a nxdn system.

I have ESPN that is one of the few NXDN systems around me in ct that I'll listen to once in awhile when I'm over that way. And it's always a pain to setup.

I've created a second DSD folder with all new files and updates and other crap, and only use that one and it works great

LimaZulu

Oh yes, I have issues with nxdn systems. I've found it works 100 times better with 1 sdr than it does with 2 SDRs.

I haven't figure out why it works worse with 2 sdrs, but I've defaulted to using 1 when trying to figure out / listen to a nxdn system.

I am a DSD user since...forever. Even before DSD Plus.
Never had any issues except one when using two dongles - if there is more than one active channel audio become chopped.
Now this is the second serious and annoying issue.

Reconrider

Never had any issues except one when using two dongles - if there is more than one active channel audio become chopped.
It 100% is an annoying issue. 1 sdr and it works like 95% of the time, but when I add the second, it never works unless they are talking on slot 2. Slot 1 can't get any audio

LimaZulu

Slot 1 and slot 2? I assume you are talking about DMR as NXDN is FDMA where DMR is TDMA. If that's the case, pressing 1, 2 and 3 gives you the option to synthesize audio from either fist, second or both slots

slicerwizard

I tried a simplified version of your batch file:

start FMP24 -i1 -rc -o20003
start DSDPlus -i20003 -rc -o1
start FMP24 -i2 -rv -o20002
start DSDPlus -rv -i20002 -o1

Didn't encounter any problems. VC FMP24 saw .traffic files and tuned accordingly. Using DSD+ 2.347 and FMP24 2.75

DSDPlus_Dual_Dongle_NEXEDGE_Trunking.png

You might want to try simplifying and working your way back to your full batch file.

LimaZulu

As was mentioned above, I already tried that without any success.
I even tried to create a fresh copy by deleting bin and event files, creating new simplified batch files and started all over again, but with no luck. The only thing I still haven't tried is setting up the public version an upgrade it to the last FastLane. And that's what I am going to try today :)

LimaZulu

Finally I got it after spending two days trying different combinations. As already has been said in the comments above, I tried to delete different configuration files in order to get "fresh" FastLane installation but that didn't work! So I did as I said in my last comment - downloaded the public version, set it up to working condition, and then upgraded to latest FastLane version. Then slowly copied old files like .radios, .groups and so on. Made a correction to my bat file to start fmp24 instead of fmp. The fired it up and made some final adjustments trough the menu options.
To be honest I'm not quite sure which file was the problem but I suspect corrupted fpm exe file.