Fat Albert Flies Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to Larry Van Horn at Milcom Monitoring Post:

Milcom Monitoring Post: Blue Angels Heading to El Centro

I think it was only about a year ago, the Blue Angels said they were going to ground Fat Albert due to availability/cost of the rocket engines. They were becoming obsolete and unsafe, and too expensive to have inspected and refilled. I wonder what changed? Maybe they found some RR member with a stash out in his shed! :D

wise871

Database Admin
The Blues said they were going to stop doing the Jet Assisted Take-Off (JATO) portion of the show but they never said they were going to stop flying the C-130 "Fat Albert". The rockets are expensive and few but the rest of the show have plenty to offer. I attended the last JATO demo at the Pensacola Air Show a few weeks ago. They said they have something different for the fans this year.

n0nhp

Lack of JATO would be bad for the New York ANG 109th.. Getting an LC130 off of and un-improved "skiway" in Antarctica and Greenland can be a problem without the extra boost.
New York Air National Guard
All my LC130 experience was on groomed skiways but there was one Loooong takeoff I was wondering if a boost was going to be needed.

Bruce

D

DaveNF2G

If they really need the boost for actual missions, then DoD will either find a replacement booster, or designate a more capable aircraft for the missions in question.

boomboy64

We actually stopped using them up here in Canada in the early 70s. As strong as the Herc structure is, it was just beating the CR@$ out of it. Keeping the a/c flying longer overrode the need for JATO.

Cheers,

kf4uuz

thanks to larry van horn at milcom monitoring post:

milcom monitoring post: Blue angels heading to el centro

i think it was only about a year ago, the blue angels said they were going to ground fat albert due to availability/cost of the rocket engines. They were becoming obsolete and unsafe, and too expensive to have inspected and refilled. I wonder what changed? Maybe they found some rr member with a stash out in his shed! :d[/quot

Hey Hey Hey

Status
Not open for further replies.