Fatal Bus Crash:Indianapolis 3-12-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

7:40 AM IFD and IMPD are on the scene of a school bus that has hit a railroad bridge in the 900 Block of Emerson Ave. Bus 43 owned by Miller Transportation was headed to lighthouse school.One student and the driver of the bus have been killed. 50 students on the bus. 2 students are critical. all of the students are going to Wishard and Riley Hospital. The area around English Ave. and Prospect are closed. Mayor Greg Ballard and is also on the scene along with IMPD PIO. Front half of bus hit the bridge and IFD had to use the jaws of life to get the bus driver out and the child that was setting in the front seat near the driver. Radio Traffic is on IDPS IMPD SE Talkgroup.*Update at 9:34AM accident scene is at Emerson Ave and Lexington. Students are telling IMPD that there might have been some type of arguement on the bus before the accident occured. Update at 10:05AM 8 students taken to Wishard Hospital, 2 students that are critical have been taken to Riley Hospital for Children. Live News Conference at 11 AM at Wishard Hospital.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
According to Tim's initial post and reports I've read elsewhere, the accident occured in the 900 block of S. Emerson Ave. The railroad bridge pier that was struck is in that block. There are three separate railroad bridges over Emerson Avenue in that location as Emerson intersects the CSX Hawthorne Yard pretty much right in middle of the yard. Lexington Avenue is actually north of these bridges at approximately 800 S. Emerson Ave.

I used to work at Hawthorne Yard, so I know the area fairly well.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to say thanks(or give credit) to the "IN breaking news thread" contributers again.

When I'm in IN you alert me to radio traffic worth listening to, and when I'm at home/working in other states you alert me to stories long before they go viral/national.

Working in a number of states causes me to watch 8, or so, threads like this, but you guys are really on the ball. Please know your hard work is appreciated!

Have a great day guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.