• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR Fatal Error 01/90 After Firmware Update XPR5550e

k7wbc

Hello all!

I have a new to me XPR550e. I received it used, it had R02.23.01.3001 firmware. The previous owner didn't erase the code plug I decided to do a recovery and start with a new code plug. I downloaded and installed the same R02.23.01.3001 firmware. I selected Recover from CPS and it wrote the firmware. However now I have a Fatal Error 01/90 after the radio turns on. I probably made matters worse when I thought something may have just gone wrong with the recovery, so I recovered again, but I used a newer version R02.24.01.1002 firmware from Feb 24. Still have the same Fatal Error. The CPS can read and write from the radio without issue. Also, CPS will not let me downgrade back to the original firmware.

How bad have I screwed this up? Any ideas on how or IF I can recover it?

Thank you for your time!

K2NEC

A fail 01/90 has always been a "Brick isn't communicating with the head" error so I wonder if something got messed up with the head and it didn't flash properly. I'm going out on a limb here to say you don't have another head to try swapping?

Considering that you can still communicate with the brick id say you aren't totally toast yet. Might just need to reflash the head

KJ4DHF

You can try removing the power after you turn it off for a few minutes to see if it will reset. All bet's are off with trying to push newer firmware to it while it was in the fatal error state.

k7wbc

While in front of you, either before you bought it or after, did you see it RX/TX?

Yes, prior to Recovering firmware it was transmitting and receiving.

A fail 01/90 has always been a "Brick isn't communicating with the head" error so I wonder if something got messed up with the head and it didn't flash properly. I'm going out on a limb here to say you don't have another head to try swapping?

Considering that you can still communicate with the brick id say you aren't totally toast yet. Might just need to reflash the head
I do not have another head. I have been using the rear cable to program it. Perhaps a programming cable the connects to the head?

You can try removing the power after you turn it off for a few minutes to see if it will reset. All bet's are off with trying to push newer firmware to it while it was in the fatal error state.

Yes, I should have known better then trying to push a newer firmware in hopes it might work. Now I have no way of going back to the OG firmware.

K2NEC

I do not have another head. I have been using the rear cable to program it. Perhaps a programming cable the connects to the head?
The head upgrades firmware with the radio. The front programming cable won't do this by itself. Sounds like you did everything right. I suspect that if you get another head and it works, it means the head bricked during the upgrade. Can't say I've seen it happen before but I also can't say I'd be surprised

k7wbc

The head upgrades firmware with the radio. The front programming cable won't do this by itself. Sounds like you did everything right. I suspect that if you get another head and it works, it means the head bricked during the upgrade. Can't say I've seen it happen before but I also can't say I'd be surprised
New question. If I purchase a new head, should I expect it to work with my existing brick? Say the brick I have and the new head have different version of firmware, what potential issues could that cause?

K2NEC

It will work, the head will just tell you there is a firmware mismatch. This can be resolved by reflashing the radios firmware

k7wbc

I'll see if I can find someone locally with the same radio, or perhaps take it to a local M shop and see if they can test it for me. Thanks for all the input!

Hello guys, I also have the same problem with DM4601 radios. I changed the front panel but the 01/90 error did not go away. Guys, this is definitely not a problem related to the front panel of the radio.

k7wbc

Hello guys, I also have the same problem with DM4601 radios. I changed the front panel but the 01/90 error did not go away. Guys, this is definitely not a problem related to the front panel of the radio.
I'm sorry to hear that. I never did try swapping the front panel. Luckily the place I purchased it from was willing to take it back. I returned it, and I don't know exactly what they found, but they did let me know they were replacing the radio for me. I have not received the replacement yet, I'll see if I can find out what they found.