Fatal fire audio, Touraine Drive City of Flint

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8fsm

Feed Provider
Yea the receiver is on the south side of the city... Wish i had some good roof rights that let me put extra gear up there in central downtown... since they are all simplex...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You missed half of their comms. When will they ever go MPSCS?

MPSCS should not be used for interior firefighting ops... Then not only would Fred's receiver miss half the comms, but the FF's on the scene and dispatch would too!

SCPD

QRT
MPSCS should not be used for interior firefighting ops... Then not only would Fred's receiver miss half the comms, but the FF's on the scene and dispatch would too!

What do you mean FD's shouldn't use MPSCS? Every single FD in Genesee Co (except Flint) is 100% MPSCS already and they have been for several years.

Flint wants to join MPSCS but they can't secure the money. For some reason they think they need $5 million to do so.

WJRT ABC 12 Flint PD asking for $10 million in stimulus money

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean FD's shouldn't use MPSCS?

IAFF (and anyone who has used it in a major metropolitan area without great tower coverage) says that digital trunked systems should not be used with interior firefighting operations.

Flint wants to join MPSCS but they can't secure the money. For some reason they think they need $5 million to do so.

Radios are EXPEN$IVE (you can't just grab them from eBay) and they have a high annual "microphone" fee.

SCPD

QRT
IAFF (and anyone who has used it in a major metropolitan area without great tower coverage) says that digital trunked systems should not be used with interior firefighting operations.

Well Genesee County already has 8 towers of its own, plus the support of 5 surrounding county towers (Holly, Owosso, Columbiaville, Caro, Saginaw Co.). How many are needed for good interior comms? The city of Flint isn't exactly a "major metropolitan area" (its smaller than Lansing even), 1 or 2 towers is probably all that would be needed.

Radios are EXPEN$IVE (you can't just grab them from eBay) and they have a high annual "microphone" fee.

Well the total amount the entire county of Genesee paid was $11.1 million. That's 30 PD's and 20 FD's. I'm no mathematician but I don't see why 2 departments would need $5 million.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I got confused

So I listened to the clip, start to finish.
Why did it sound like everyone got dispatched to the fire, they put it out, then everyone said they were done, avaliable and returning to station.
And then they all get dispatched right back there with a report of "heavy smoke". And they work it again. And then they all call themselves available again. Did they all have to go back, or was the clip a little topsy-turvy?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Tower setup is the key. Most regions don't put enough money into that, so create a horrible situation for FFs.

Duster40

NFPA 1221 mandates that for fireground use, there must be
a frequency available that is SIMPLEX ANALOG...
but then, who bothers to read that stuff ???

WU8Y

NFPA 1221 mandates that for fireground use, there must be
a frequency available that is SIMPLEX ANALOG...
but then, who bothers to read that stuff ???

NFPA = No Free Publications Available.

Why pay to read? There's gotta be some sort of anti-trust problem with them setting the (gotta pay to read) legal standards for firefighting.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.