Fatal wreck Wa****a SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was monitoring the chase yesterday and I feel the root cause was due to poor communications. Nobody knew where the other one was existing radios were marginal at best OHP units could not talk to Wa****a SO. ect.

I'm starting a campaign to get OKWIN extended to western Oklahoma, write your local officials maybe we can make it happen

tydupyzy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WX5JCH

Banned
Why is the filter blocking a county name? What a messed up system
Wa****a...Wa****a....Wa****a block that moderators !

WX5JCH

Banned
I'll just say it's the county north of Kiowa and south of Custer geez

e5a3uhe3.jpg

N5TWB

"Existing radios marginal at best"

"OHP could not talk to WCSO"

Would you mind expanding on those statements, please? I've looked at the RRDB so I see the WCSO operates on a repeater and BFPD doesn't even exist as a frequency allocation so I can only conclude they operate thru the WCSO. Am I right or wrong in that conclusion?

Back in the day, sheriffs used to outfit the local OHP troopers with a "county radio" to ensure communications. Is that not true for WCSO?

Did the Mutual Aid frequency ever come into play? (155.490)

TIA for any response.

WX5JCH

Banned
No mutual aid troopers were from Clinton and didn't have that frequency Burns flat Runs on SO channel they were in the far end of the county most of the time. The SO has a tower in BF on the water tower and one at the office in Cordell.
I feel if they were all on the same channel/talkgroup it might have made a difference

It all comes down to MONEY, the state doesn't want to spend THEIR money to build the necessary infrastructure in the SE and NW parts of the state, especially with the number of sites to build and maintain, they are actively looking for large users to give money to support such a buildout. These areas have no large cities that would benefit from what OKWIN has to offer, the local Sheriffs and towns feel they have no compelling reason to spend their money to replace their VHF systems that they have had for the past 50 years. Plus they just went through narrowband and they would be hard pressed to come up with more money to dump into the black hole of radio communications.

SCPD

QRT
It all comes down to MONEY, the state doesn't want to spend THEIR money to build the necessary infrastructure in the SE and NW parts of the state, especially with the number of sites to build and maintain, they are actively looking for large users to give money to support such a buildout. These areas have no large cities that would benefit from what OKWIN has to offer, the local Sheriffs and towns feel they have no compelling reason to spend their money to replace their VHF systems that they have had for the past 50 years. Plus they just went through narrowband and they would be hard pressed to come up with more money to dump into the black hole of radio communications.

Well said.

Unless another large federal grant is available, which I doubt given the current federal budget situation, I really don't' see this system being expanded west.

[rant] Why is almost every other state that borders Oklahoma able to come up with a state wide system?[/rant]

OKWIN did not begin life as a statewide system but it grew out of and still controlled by the City of Tulsa TRS. Building sites is an expensive proposition, figure a minimum of a million dollars per site plus you will need back haul infrastructure to connect it all together. Comes down to money, until small towns and counties feel they can't live without it, VHF will be around for a really long time.

OKWIN did not begin life as a statewide system but it grew out of and still controlled by the City of Tulsa TRS. Building sites is an expensive proposition, figure a minimum of a million dollars per site plus you will need back haul infrastructure to connect it all together. Comes down to money, until small towns and counties feel they can't live without it, VHF will be around for a really long time.
I think you're right, but there are the politicians who still think public safety is too "needy" and want to reclaim all of its frequencies for auction. Their grand scheme is to create Public Safety Tel, managed by a responsible corporate citizen who happened to heavily contribute to their campaigns. That's being pushed by various public safety people who sense Long Term Employment (oh, did I just capitalize those letters?) and returns on their investments.

The biggest problem with that, in my view, is the weakness of backhaul. Those things would be network dependent even more-so than trunking. And, all of that is a vulnerability (not to mention there probably won't be a viable off-network simplex solution anytime soon in the LTE/cellular paradigm).

All should be fine as long as everyone pays their radio bill.

BryanD

Interoperability?

The OHP units that are assigned to Wa****a County have the capability to talk to the S.O. and have for many years. And, the Wa****a County S.O. has the ability to talk to Burns Flat PD. In fact, they dispatch Burns Flat daily on their frequency. So, what it all boils down to is a lack of training and lack of situational awareness. You can't blame the radio systems nor think that expanding 800 to western OK is the solution either. Doesn't matter what type or frequency a radio system utilizes, it is useless without proper training.

Status
Not open for further replies.