• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

father-in-laws gift...need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBFD551

Feed Provider
Recently my father-in-law ( a HAM radio guy and all around expert in most things electronic) gave me a Motorola XTS 3000. Getting the radio programmed isn't an issue as he is quite competent with CPS. My question is this.. I would like some of the channels to provide an "alert" tone when my company (im a fireman) catches a run. I stopped by the cities radio shop and was given a sheet of all the alert tones for all the companies the Fire department, in all over 3 pages worth... They radio guys were quite busy and to be honest its all greek to me... now im not sure what to email to my father-in-law (who will be programming the radio).

Also, since my F-I-L is a ham guy he doesn't have much experience programing with "alert tones". Does anyone know how to add an "alert" to a channel? I would like to be able to still monitor the radio and get the alert and also "close" the channel to effectively make it a pager... is this possible??

I have the following info regarding the tones... Unit tone "A" is 1122.5, Unit tone "B" is 584.8, also there is Motorola "C" 553.9 and Motorola "D" 569.1.... I assume that the Unit tones are the individual company tones and the Motorola tones are for "all calls" since every company listed has the same tones numbers....

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Didn't we have this post a while back? I may be wrong, but someone else posted that their F-I-L gave them an XTS2500.

SBFD551

Feed Provider
sorry...

I figured that something like this may have been posted before...however I was unable to locate any info regarding these specifics. if you would be so incline to throw me a bone I would be much appreciated.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Back to the guy's question...

The feature you're looking for is called Quik-Call II in Motorola parlance.

In CPS, go to Conventional, and under that you should find a Quik-Call II entry. You can then define the "Quik-Call II System" entry -- you'll see the list for the tones.

To activate a given conventional frequency, go to a specific conventional personality and select the "Signaling" tab... choose "Signaling Type" to be "Quik-Call II" and set it to the system number you defined.

Done.

Note that not every radio is QC-II enabled, so your radio must have this feature.

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.