• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Favorite UHF HTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K0TIN

Hey guys, I'm right now looking over UHF Land Mobile HT options to recommend for a friend who's working an annual event that lasts a weekend.

I've worked with a set of Motorola HT1000s for a similar even I worked on in May, but since I'm not sure his event will have the budget to find a used set of those, and I've got a small set of Kenwood TK-360G HTs that I really like, but a set of those seems to be around the same price.

So basically I was wondering what your favorite UHF HTs were and why, and if any of you have experience with the UHF specific Little Chinese Radios if you would recommend any of those for actual use.

KK4TTR

I own 2 baofeng uv-b5 ht's and use one in the car. It's easily programmable with a cable and chirp. I also use an external mic and recommend getting a 14" whip antenna.

I tried a baofeng uv-82 and sent it Bach due to front end overload issues. I like my uv-b5's.

Spankymedic7

My favorite UHF HT's, and the ones that I currently own), are:

-APX7000 (VHF/UHF)
-XPR7550
-XPR6550
-XTS2500 Model 3
-MTS2000 Model 3
-Visar

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I love the MTS 2000, but currently I am using a CS-700 from connect systems inc. great radio, and is both analogue and DMR. Does both wide and narrow band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W8VFD

Feed Provider
My 3 favorites (in no particular order):

XTS5000 model 3
Kenwood NX-300
Kenwood TK-3180

(wishing I had the $$$ for an APX7000)

K0TIN

W8RMH: Renting radios was one of my first reactions, and one i honestly agree with, but the problem is that somebody seems to think they need to *own* radios, and of all the things to fight about this isn't the battle i'm choosing.

W8VFD: Can the TK-3180 be used with a repeater/programmed to channels outside of the pool in the owner's manual? I know the 3130 is limited to certain itinerants and can't do repeaters.

kayn1n32008: I'm gonna keep am eye on that one, thanks. It's likely not something i can get the event to spring for, but i may get a few staff members to look at it for themselves. (And i'd like one for myself as well)

KK4TTR: Thanks for the feedback on the LCRs, depending on what I find that may be what i recommend there. I've only used the UV-5R and those are starting to go back up in price again.

Last edited:

W8VFD

Feed Provider
The TK-3180 is a commercial radio and can be programmed with any offset that you want, just make sure that you get the radio in the bandsplit that you desire, I believe that they come in 450-512MHz split and 400 to 470MHz split models

W8VFD: Can the TK-3180 be used with a repeater/programmed to channels outside of the pool in the owner's manual? I know the 3130 is limited to certain itinerants and can't do repeaters.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
HT750
Icom F4021
Icom F21
HT1000
GP300
Icom F4GS

That's my rank from most fond of on down that I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
My favorite UHF HT's, and the ones that I currently own), are:

-APX7000 (VHF/UHF)
-XPR7550
-XPR6550
-XTS2500 Model 3
-MTS2000 Model 3
-Visar

Wow, Wisconsin paramedics must make bank! I was lucky to make rent when I was a medic 20 years ago. :)

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
The ICOM F4021's are good radios. You can equip them with a rolling scrambler if you wish. They are pricy though. I have several of the VHF versions (F3021) and they ran close to $500 each with scrambler modules. You will have to get software and a programming cables as well.

The UV-5R are on the other end of the spectrum. If you get some with good transmit audio they are sure worth the $35-$50 bucks each that you pay for them. Software is free. I own 4 of them, and my one complaint (I believe it is a common one) is that the transmit audio is extremely low. There appears to be nothing that can be done about it.

PACNWDude

My favorite UHF handheld radios would be the following in the order I like them (and age of radio, newest to oldest):
Motorola XPR6550, small size, good audio and long battery life.
Icom F-43GS, decent audio, tied into Sordin headset, options provided to certain DoD affiliates.
Motorola HT1250, small size, good audio, and display helped with seeing features, clock on display as well as channel indication.
Vertex Duo/Yaesu FTH-2070, actually dual band VHF/UHF but great audio, large brick shape, but could be used as a weapon if need be.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The ICOM F4021's are good radios. You can equip them with a rolling scrambler if you wish. They are pricy though. I have several of the VHF versions (F3021) and they ran close to $500 each with scrambler modules. You will have to get software and a programming cables as well.

The UV-5R are on the other end of the spectrum. If you get some with good transmit audio they are sure worth the $35-$50 bucks each that you pay for them. Software is free. I own 4 of them, and my one complaint (I believe it is a common one) is that the transmit audio is extremely low. There appears to be nothing that can be done about it.

I think my 4021 ran $135. I don't know what the scrambler board runs but I do know what I paid for the ht was close to dealer cost.

Fairly easy to field program, however auto defaults to narrow band (you can change it if wide/narrow is programmed or if it is done through cs).

I've had some guys suggest tecnet radios to me but haven't gotten my hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.