Favorites in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Firmware updates are rare. Especially for established models. Only time firmware is updated is to fix a minor bug in the scanners operation.

They are independent of weekly database updates. It doesn’t matter whether you check for firmware updates before or after database updates.

KO4IPV

Okay before I indulge in this a few questions, would appreciate help , when I update my database from Sentinel .02.01 finish that up then I can move on to creating a favorites list is this correct and creating a favorites list is completely different from updating my Master HPDB and the update firmware , and should both updates be done if it say there are updates?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes to updating the Master HPDB and Firmware. Don't be surprised if you get a message saying "This version of the scanner is the current version" when you click on Update Firmware. Firmware updates do not happen regularly.

Please note you do NOT have to connect your scanner to your computer to update the Master HPDB and create/edit Favorites Lists. You do have to connect your scanner to the computer to see if there are firmware updates.

After you update your Master HPDB you can go on to creating Favorites Lists.

Firmware is the "thing" that makes the scanner function. The Master HPDB is a list of all radio systems, frequencies, etc. that Uniden obtains from Radio Reference on a weekly basis (usually over the weekend). Think of the Master HPDB as a library with books, etc.

A Favorites List is a selection of radio systems, frequencies that are of special interest to you. Almost always, scanner users will import (or copy) those things of interest from the Master HPDB into a Favorites List. Think of creating a Favorites List as perusing the shelves of the library and checking out the things you want.

Favorites Lists can be edited/updated as time goes along. There may be new talkgroups or frequencies for a system that come along, but this is infrequent.

You will have to connect your scanner to your computer to write the Favorites Lists to the scanner.

(Note to "high power folks": I know this is very simplified, but I wanted to avoid confusion by getting into some of the nuances.)

tvengr

Well Known Member
when I update my database from Sentinel .02.01
When you update the database, the database is updated in your computer only, even if a scanner is connected at the time. You don.t need a scanner to update the database. The database in the scanner is not updated until you write to it.

KO4IPV

Yes to updating the Master HPDB and Firmware. Don't be surprised if you get a message saying "This version of the scanner is the current version" when you click on Update Firmware. Firmware updates do not happen regularly.

Please note you do NOT have to connect your scanner to your computer to update the Master HPDB and create/edit Favorites Lists. You do have to connect your scanner to the computer to see if there are firmware updates.

After you update your Master HPDB you can go on to creating Favorites Lists.

Firmware is the "thing" that makes the scanner function. The Master HPDB is a list of all radio systems, frequencies, etc. that Uniden obtains from Radio Reference on a weekly basis (usually over the weekend). Think of the Master HPDB as a library with books, etc.

A Favorites List is a selection of radio systems, frequencies that are of special interest to you. Almost always, scanner users will import (or copy) those things of interest from the Master HPDB into a Favorites List. Think of creating a Favorites List as perusing the shelves of the library and checking out the things you want.

Favorites Lists can be edited/updated as time goes along. There may be new talkgroups or frequencies for a system that come along, but this is infrequent.

You will have to connect your scanner to your computer to write the Favorites Lists to the scanner.

(Note to "high power folks": I know this is very simplified, but I wanted to avoid confusion by getting into some of the nuances.)
Oooo thanks much !!!!!!

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Step 1, update firmware. It will probably say you are running latest version. This isn't something you need to do every week, or every month. If there is a firmware update, there will be buzz about it on these forums.

Step 2, update master database in Sentinel.

Step 3, create your favorites in Sentinel by copying entries from master db to your FL (or whatever source you have for your info, RR or manual acquired info).

RBMTS

Watch and follow the video provided by OFD8001 in thread #17.

KO4IPV

Step 1, update firmware. It will probably say you are running latest version. This isn't something you need to do every week, or every month. If there is a firmware update, there will be buzz about it on these forums.

Step 2, update master database in Sentinel.

Step 3, create your favorites in Sentinel by copying entries from master db to your FL (or whatever source you have for your info, RR or manual acquired info).
Thanks again will soon put this to practice !

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The firmware has nothing to do with creating a Favorites List. You can still create and edit Favorites Lists using out of date firmware.

Firmware is the "brains" of the scanner. Firmware is updated infrequently. I can't remember the last time I saw a firmware update. Sometimes firmware updates are minor. For example when one model of scanner came out it showed "Barecat" in the opening message. It took a firmware update to get it to say "Bearcat".

KO4IPV

The firmware has nothing to do with creating a Favorites List. You can still create and edit Favorites Lists using out of date firmware.

Firmware is the "brains" of the scanner. Firmware is updated infrequently. I can't remember the last time I saw a firmware update. Sometimes firmware updates are minor. For example when one model of scanner came out it showed "Barecat" in the opening message. It took a firmware update to get it to say "

KO4IPV

Please help , can’t figure out what I did wrong was able to make a favorites list from the Sentinel app And downloaded it to my scanner I successfully made a new favorites list but when I opened it everything was there that I downloaded but it did not scan stuck on one frequency did not move it said scanning no movement what did I do wrong I didn’t notice when I was making my new favorites list I saw a off next to each frequency 0FF what does this mean and what did I do wrong

KO4IPV

Please help , can’t figure out what I did wrong was able to make a favorites list from the Sentinel app And downloaded it to my scanner I successfully made a new favorites list but when I opened it everything was there that I downloaded but it did not scan stuck on one frequency did not move it said scanning no movement what did I do wrong I didn’t notice when I was making my new favorites list I saw a off next to each frequency 0FF what does this mean and what did I do wrong
I did notice there was off next to each frequency the word off not didn’t I did

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
When i am trying to use the Sentinel i can get the favorites but when 1 due the systems. It will not let me import only the sites that i want, It in stead it brings the whole data base to the site that i am trying to listen to. like i only want just 2 site to listen to,
not the whole entire sites in the data base so like it says system 1 favorite 1 i only want 3 sites in favorite but it keeps putting more the those 3 sites in system 1 what am i doing wrong.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When i am trying to use the Sentinel i can get the favorites but when 1 due the systems. It will not let me import only the sites that i want, It in stead it brings the whole data base to the site that i am trying to listen to. like i only want just 2 site to listen to,
not the whole entire sites in the data base so like it says system 1 favorite 1 i only want 3 sites in favorite but it keeps putting more the those 3 sites in system 1 what am i doing wrong.
You're not doing anything "wrong".

When you append a trunked system from the main database, you can select the Departments that you want on a given trunked system, but you cannot, similarly, specify only certain sites. The append process will bring over the specified Departments, whether it is one, a dozen, or some other number. But since Sentinel does not natively know which sites carry the department & talkgroups you are selecting, it appends all of the sites on the system. No way around that.

But, you can remove the extra sites easily in either the Favorites list editor, or on the main screen of Sentinel. On the main screen, click on the system in the left side window. In the right side, you will see the departments you chose, along all of the sites. The sites will be in alphabetical order. If you already know, specifically, which sites you need, and want to remove those you don't, then hold down the control key & select each site to be removed (they'll be highlighted after selection). Holding down the control key, you can keep selecting sites until you have all, or most of, the ones to be removed selected. Now, hit the Delete key. Sentinel will ask for confirmation that you want to delete them; say OK and it will remove them. You can also , right-click on a selected site. You'll get a pop-up menu; one of the choices will be Remove from Favorites List. (Or, just use Delete key as already noted.) Sentinel will ask you to confirm before removing them. If you have a consecutive string of sites to delete, hold down the Shift key then click on the first, and last, site in the list to select a group of them, then delete as noted above. You can, of course, deal with the site removals in the Favorites list editor as well. In a large state, or regionwide, system, there may well be sites that you are not familiar with. Some of them are recognizable, since they are named for a city or county. But others may be named after some local landmark or geographic feature, such as a hill or mountain. Some are named with just the name of the road they are on, which may not be recognizable to you. To help sort them out, go to the database page for the system. In the site listings for the system, click on the County column header to re-sort by the name of the county each site is in. That can help if you have some that you don't recognize, and want to verify it's county before you remove it.

Note that after you whittle the sites down to size, you can go back & append other departments in the same system as long as you do not change the system name from the way it shows in the master database. If you do modify it, and try to append another department, you'll get all the sites again, since Sentinel does not recognize the name. If the name is unchanged, then you can pick and choose other departments or talkgroups with resurfacing all of the sites again.

As you show as a Premium Subscriber, you can use software such as ProScan to just import from either the RadioReference database online, or from the database listing in Sentinel.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

You might try exporting your Favorites List to an HPE file, then zip the HPE file and attached zipped file to a message. That way we can take a look at the Favorites List you created and see what the problem could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.