Favorites in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Is it possible to make a favorites list when downloading latest version of Sentinel as a brand new favorites list ? Netherworlds make a new favorites list as I am updating my SDs100 , I would appreciate any help very new at this. Angelo, in Florida

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can create a new favorite list at same time as updating national database from Sentinel. I assume this is what you are asking, not a new version of the software (Sentinel).

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any favorite lists now? How were they created?

In general, connect scanner to pc in mass storage mode, read current config from scanning using Sentinel, update master database in Sentinel, create/change favorites, write to scanner from Sentinel.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
I use sentinal for my 436HP and when you choose the freqs from the database and highlight it you can press the "INS" insert key on your keyboard and you should be given a list of existing favorites list or the chioce to create a new fav list.

KO4IPV

In general, connect scanner to pc in mass storage mode, read current config from scanning using Sentinel, update master database in Sentinel, create/change favorites, write to scanner from Sentinel.
Yes I have Favorites lists they are created by county’s

KO4IPV

Forgot to mention that Bearcat wharehouse did creat them

RBMTS

To clarify, Sentinel WILL NOT update favorite lists when you update the weekly master database. The data contained in the favorite lists will remain the same as when they were created. They will not auto update with changes to the master. You can manually add new favorite lists and you can edit current favorite lists (add to them from the master DB). But there is no provision for auto updating the favorite lists.

Last edited:

KO4IPV

To clarify, Sentinel WILL NOT update favorite lists when you update the weekly master database. The data contained in the favorite lists will remain the same as when they were created. They will not auto update with changes to the master. You can manually add new favorite lists and you can edit current favorite lists (add to them from the master DB). But there is no provision for auto updating the favorite lists.
I cannot create a new favorites list from the sentinel database is that what you’re saying

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I cannot create a new favorites list from the sentinel database is that what you’re saying
That is not correct.

When you update the main database in Sentinel, that is all that is updated. Any additions or changes that were made in the database since the last update you downloaded will be in the mastyer database, which, of course, you can download to the scanner. However, it will not automatically alter data in any of your Favorites lists. You must do that yourself by editing the Favorite(s) list manually.

You always have the option of creating a new list in Sentinel, then choosing whether or not you also write it to the scanner, and also set whether or not you also want it monitored at startup.

So updating the Master database won’t hurt anything once in a while correct ?
Won't hurt a thing. That way, you have the latest information available if you want to create a new list, or modify an existing one.

KO4IPV

That is not correct.

When you update the main database in Sentinel, that is all that is updated. Any additions or changes that were made in the database since the last update you downloaded will be in the mastyer database, which, of course, you can download to the scanner. However, it will not automatically alter data in any of your Favorites lists. You must do that yourself by editing the Favorite(s) list manually.

You always have the option of creating a new list in Sentinel, then choosing whether or not you also write it to the scanner, and also set whether or not you also want it monitored at startup.

Won't hurt a thing. That way, you have the latest information available if you want to create a new list, or modify an existing one.
Alright then when a update is made from the update firmware what does it benefit to the scanner? Where does that new info go if not to the full database or does both selections do the same

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
To create a Favorites List see:

Updating the master database does not disturb any Profiles, Favorites Lists or other things you have done with your scanner.

KO4IPV

Alright then when a update is made from the update firmware what does it benefit to the scanner? Where does that new info go if not to the full database or does both selections do the same
Should I always update the Master firmware first ?

RBMTS

It doesn't matter which one you do first. Your scanner might already have the most current firmware but you can check. I believe when you had Bearcat Warehouse do area programming that they also update the firmware. There hasn't been a firmware update for a while. You can update the master database every week if you want. It's updated everyone Monday morning by Uniden. Just remember that you need to connect your scanner and upload the new master database into your scanner to listen to the full database.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The updated details are in the databse file after the update process completes. But they do not change data in any of your Favorites lists. You do that manually.

You're a Premium Subscriber. Set up your MyRR page with the counties and trunked systems that are of interest to you. You do that by going to the database page for the each county, or trunked systems, and click Watch.

That adds the system or county to your MYRR page. If you are logged in when you start RadioReference, you'll see the MYRR page you set up, instead of a generic page with a few links to access things.

On your MYRR page, when an update or change is done for that county or system is done, the listing on your strart page is highlighted. Yellow, if the change was done in the last 24 hours, or a yellowish color if the update was within the last 7 days. You can then go to the page itself, and see what was changed. Quite often, it's a small "housekeeping" change ot update to background information that has zero impact on any of your systems. Unless there are a very large number of additions, such as a block of new talkgroups are added to a new system, of when another agency moves to that system, I manually make the change in the Favorites list where I have that system or county. That's much quicker than starting from scratch, and rebuilding a list, or a system on the list, every time a minor update is performed.

As RBMTS noted, if you are listening to the main database, using location and range, you would want the most recent data to be available to you. For Favorites, if you make significant changes or additions, then you would need to write the updated list to the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.