Favorites list on the 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacon12

I'm a new user so bear with me. I've gone into Sentinel and set up a couple of favorites lists, assigned quick key numbers, saved the file and wrote it to the scanner. The lists show on the scanner but when I press either 1 or 2, the quick key numbers, I get a Quick Key Navigation screen with the number I just entered and below that:
F1:.........
S:........
D:.........

What am I doing wrong?
Jarrell

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Favorite list on the 436

I'm a new user so bear with me. I've gone into Sentinel and set up a couple of favorites lists, assigned quick key numbers, saved the file and wrote it to the scanner. The lists show on the scanner but when I press either 1 or 2, the quick key numbers, I get a Quick Key Navigation screen with the number I just entered and below that:

What am I doing wrong?
Jarrell

Take a look at this video. I used the BCD536HP, but it also applies to the BCD436HP. Enjoy the new scanner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmIiSuAHvE

jacon12

Take a look at this video. I used the BCD536HP, but it also applies to the BCD436HP. Enjoy the new scanner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmIiSuAHvE
Thanks Doug for the link but I've already spent a few hours going through this video
Uniden BCD436HP creating a favorite list - YouTube
a few times which is specifically for the 436. The guy does great videos, very easy to follow and mine set up fine but when I then monitor a favorites list I just set up there are counties still being monitored that I had deleted from the list. Going into the favorites list via the menu those counties are not there, so I can't manually delete it because it's not there to delete. When I go back into scan mode in that FL there the counties are being scanned again.
I'm stumped.
Jarrell

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you pressing the "E" button after you push the keys for the Favorites List Quick Keys? (This must be done, which is different from previous models, such as th 96 series, if you have them).

Any chance you might also be monitoring the master HP database too, versus just Favorites List scanning?

For what it's worth, Favorites Lists created in Sentinel for the 436 and 536 are the same. So whatever you learn for the 536 can be applied to the 436.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

What am I doing wrong?
Jarrell
If you are only entering a single number (for a Favorites list), you'd see that screen. In the example shown, you entered just the number 1.

The "S" line is for a System quick key, and the "D" is for a Department (or Site) quick key.

So, if you actually wanted to turn off 3, Department (or Site) 3, on Favorites list 1, you'd press 1.3.3, then Enter to toggle that one on or off.

Thanks Doug for the link but I've already spent a few hours going through this video
Uniden BCD436HP creating a favorite list - YouTube
a few times which is specifically for the 436. The guy does great videos, very easy to follow and mine set up fine but when I then monitor a favorites list I just set up there are counties still being monitored that I had deleted from the list. Going into the favorites list via the menu those counties are not there, so I can't manually delete it because it's not there to delete. When I go back into scan mode in that FL there the counties are being scanned again.
I'm stumped.
Jarrell
Do you have more than one Favorites list active? If so, are those counties, possibly, on the "other" list?

Or, perhaps, if you are monitoring using the full database (in addition to the Favorites list), it could be pulling those based on location. (Same thing ofd8001 has suggested checking.)

jacon12

Are you pressing the "E" button after you push the keys for the Favorites List Quick Keys? (This must be done, which is different from previous models, such as th 96 series, if you have them).

Any chance you might also be monitoring the master HP database too, versus just Favorites List scanning?

For what it's worth, Favorites Lists created in Sentinel for the 436 and 536 are the same. So whatever you learn for the 536 can be applied to the 436.
Yes, I press the enter key after pressing the desired quick key. Since I'm new at this let me ask you, if I were monitoring the master DB also (in error on my part) wouldn't more that just a couple of 'deleted' counties be monitored too? Let's say I deleted Twiggs, Monroe, Pulaski, Lamar and Toombs counties from the FL when I set it up, but when I go back to scan mode Twiggs and Monroe are still being monitored but Pulaski, Lamar and Toombs are not. So I go back in the the Favorites List for a look at that particular list and all of the counties I deleted are gone, not listed. Go back to scan mode and there's a couple of them being scanned.
It's something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know enough about it yet to know what it is... :)
Jarrell

jacon12

If you are only entering a single number (for a Favorites list), you'd see that screen. In the example shown, you entered just the number 1.

The "S" line is for a System quick key, and the "D" is for a Department (or Site) quick key.

So, if you actually wanted to turn off 3, Department (or Site) 3, on Favorites list 1, you'd press 1.3.3, then Enter to toggle that one on or off.

Do you have more than one Favorites list active? If so, are those counties, possibly, on the "other" list?

Or, perhaps, if you are monitoring using the full database (in addition to the Favorites list), it could be pulling those based on location. (Same thing ofd8001 has suggested checking.)
I'm only entering a single digit for the FL. But, you may have something there about having more than one FL active. At the top of my screen, the very top... is this:
F0- 1-3 (and the time)
and sometimes the 1 will blink, at other times the 3 and sometimes neither will blink, so I must have 2 Favorites Lists active. If that's the case how do I undo that so that only one is active at the time?
Thanks,
Jarrell

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Favorites Lists are created in Sentinel from the master DB. Therefore, if you are monitoring both the master DB and a Favorites List at the same time you are "double dipping" on your scanner - listening to the same things twice. That sets the stage for new user confusion.

So you might be turning things "off" one place, but not the other.

You might think about not scanning the master DB until you get comfortable with your Favorites Lists. (That's done by editing the profile and unchecking the box "Monitor Full Database".)

For me, most of my Favorites Lists are built to monitor things around my home area. I'll only turn the master DB on for scanning purposes if I'm on a trip somewhere.

I don't think you are doing anything "wrong". Rather, this is something new and you are in the learning process for something very comprehensive.

Keep plugging away - it will all fall into place for you!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm only entering a single digit for the FL. But, you may have something there about having more than one FL active. At the top of my screen, the very top... is this:
F0- 1-3 (and the time)
and sometimes the 1 will blink, at other times the 3 and sometimes neither will blink, so I must have 2 Favorites Lists active. If that's the case how do I undo that so that only one is active at the time?
Thanks,
Jarrell

You have created three Favorites Lists. One has a quick key of 0, another with a QK of 1 and the third with QK of 3. Whichever number is blinking, that's the Favorites List the scanner is listening to at that point in time. Because you see all three numbers (0, 1 and 3), that means the quick keys for these Favorites Lists are turned on.

If you press 0, then enter, you'll see that 0 changes to an asterisk "*", meaning that Favorites List Quick Key 0 is off.

jacon12

Favorites Lists are created in Sentinel from the master DB. Therefore, if you are monitoring both the master DB and a Favorites List at the same time you are "double dipping" on your scanner - listening to the same things twice. That sets the stage for new user confusion.

So you might be turning things "off" one place, but not the other.

You might think about not scanning the master DB until you get comfortable with your Favorites Lists. (That's done by editing the profile and unchecking the box "Monitor Full Database".)

For me, most of my Favorites Lists are built to monitor things around my home area. I'll only turn the master DB on for scanning purposes if I'm on a trip somewhere.

I don't think you are doing anything "wrong". Rather, this is something new and you are in the learning process for something very comprehensive.

Keep plugging away - it will all fall into place for you!
thank you! Unchecking the 'Monitor Full Database" helped some. Now it looks like I'm down to one county that is not in that particular favorites list yet still shows up as being monitored on the scanner. Let me ask this.
(1) If you've used a QL number before, like two... then deleted that Favorites List and later made another Favorites List, can you assign it the number two that was used before? That's what I did with a Favorites List made up of Georgia Railroads. Remade up the FL, assigned number two to it, but when I press the number two on the scanner and hit enter I only get three rapid beeps.
(2) why does Uniden use the same procedure, i.e. pressing the same QL key to toggle that QL number on and off, such as press QL number 1 to activate that QL number, press the same key's again and it deactivates it. If you're listening to QL 1 and after an hour or so forget you're already on that list and you press the number one and hit enter you'll deactivate QL number 1.

Jarrell
Jarrell

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
1. Yes you can re-cycle Favorites List Quck Keys. I believe you can re-assign/re-organize FLQKs without deleting FLs. The critical thing is to ensure that a FLQK is not assigned to two different Favorites Lists. (In other words FLQK 1 should not be assigned to both Favorites List A and Favorites List B at the same time.)

Here's what the manual says on page 35: "Favorites List Quick Keys can only be assigned once to any one Favorites List, If you don’t assign a Quick Key to a list, it will always be enabled."

You can review FLQK assignments using Sentinel by editing the applicable profile and clicking on the Scan Selection tab. You'll see a list of Favorites List and the quick key assignment.

Also, one tip I use that I got from others on this forum is to incorporate the FLQK number in the Favorites List name. For example I have a "Jefferson County" FL which has a QK of 0. So I've named that Favorites List "F00 Jefferson County". (The same methodology is carried down into Systems ad Departments).

2. For me, I like it this way compared to the 96 series scanners. With the 96 models, for quick keys less than 10, you simply pressed the number. But for 10 and higher, then it was pressing the period button, then the two digits. At least this way it is consistent across the board.

Also if it was pressing the number, it might be a problem for FLQKs higher than 9. For example if you wanted to turn off 10, you'd end up turning off or on 1 because that's the number you first pressed. (if I've explained this correctly).

Lastly having to press E is a good thing. If you happen to inadvertently bump a number, you may enable/disable a FLQK without intending to.

jacon12

1. Yes you can re-cycle Favorites List Quck Keys. I believe you can re-assign/re-organize FLQKs without deleting FLs. The critical thing is to ensure that a FLQK is not assigned to two different Favorites Lists. (In other words FLQK 1 should not be assigned to both Favorites List A and Favorites List B at the same time.)

Here's what the manual says on page 35: "Favorites List Quick Keys can only be assigned once to any one Favorites List, If you don’t assign a Quick Key to a list, it will always be enabled."

You can review FLQK assignments using Sentinel by editing the applicable profile and clicking on the Scan Selection tab. You'll see a list of Favorites List and the quick key assignment.

Also, one tip I use that I got from others on this forum is to incorporate the FLQK number in the Favorites List name. For example I have a "Jefferson County" FL which has a QK of 0. So I've named that Favorites List "F00 Jefferson County". (The same methodology is carried down into Systems ad Departments).

2. For me, I like it this way compared to the 96 series scanners. With the 96 models, for quick keys less than 10, you simply pressed the number. But for 10 and higher, then it was pressing the period button, then the two digits. At least this way it is consistent across the board.

Also if it was pressing the number, it might be a problem for FLQKs higher than 9. For example if you wanted to turn off 10, you'd end up turning off or on 1 because that's the number you first pressed. (if I've explained this correctly).

Lastly having to press E is a good thing. If you happen to inadvertently bump a number, you may enable/disable a FLQK without intending to.
Thank you for that information. I'm going to rename my FL's.
I have a warning box popping up when I try to write to the scanner:
FL is different on unit!
1- copy and replace on scanner?
2- copy with new name?
3- skip
In your opinion why is this popping up and which of those options should I choose?
I appreciate your help.
Jarrell

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you've edited a Favorites List with Sentinel, then replace on the scanner.

Copying with new name would give you a duplicate, more or less, of the same FL. (This might give you some confusion, so I'd recommend against that).

Skipping means nothing will go to the scanner.

Typically when I write to the scanner from Sentinel, I'll check the box that says "Erase All Favorites Lists on Scanner". I think it's a little cleaner that way and I avoid having duplicate/redundant Favorites Lists. When that box is checked, you won't see what you have as all FLs on the scanner are erased, then what you have in Sentinel goes into the scanner.

jacon12

If you've edited a Favorites List with Sentinel, then replace on the scanner.

Copying with new name would give you a duplicate, more or less, of the same FL. (This might give you some confusion, so I'd recommend against that).

Skipping means nothing will go to the scanner.

Typically when I write to the scanner from Sentinel, I'll check the box that says "Erase All Favorites Lists on Scanner". I think it's a little cleaner that way and I avoid having duplicate/redundant Favorites Lists. When that box is checked, you won't see what you have as all FLs on the scanner are erased, then what you have in Sentinel goes into the scanner.
Yes, I saw the " "Erase All Favorites Lists on Scanner".." and wondered if I should use it. I'm going to try it.
Thanks!
Jarrell

jacon12

Looks like using the erase all favorites lists on scanner check box worked and got rid of the counties I didn't want. Messed up the QK's though, now what was on 1 is showing on the scanner as F0. That's no big deal compared with having unwanted frequencies. :)
Jarrell

Status
Not open for further replies.