BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Favorites Lists and Service Types issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone shed some light on this? Like most folks, I'm still learning how to operate this radio.

I'm attempting to set up a list on my 436HP and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I currently have one list set up to only monitor one county's (VA - Prince William County's Phase II system) trunked radio system, however, I'm only hearing the dispatch talk groups for PD and fire. I initially went through the radio manually and set the list up to only monitor one particular system then, after noticing I was only hearing dispatcher traffic, I decided to pull the configuration down using Sentinel. When I looked at the configuration in Sentinel, I noticed that under the Fire listing (for example), the dispatch talkgroup was the only talkgroup loaded into the favorites list. This was the same for other listings under the system heading.

I went into the database and appended the rest of the talkgroups I wanted to my favorites list, however, I'm still not hearing any activity on channels other than dispatch. I've verified this by running another radio and Unitrunker on the system to see when other talkgroups are active. If there's no other activity on the system other than a non-dispatch talkgroup, I don't hear anything on my radio. I have yet to try holding on a non-dispatch talkgroup to see if there's any activity but having to do that during normal scanning is obviously less than ideal.

I initially thought this was due to the services that the non-dispatch talkgroups fall under not being enabled. I thought this was something you could enable by turning systems on under Add channels to range, however, when I add the particular services in that menu, it adds a bunch of other systems that I don't want in this particular favorites list.

This is also happening on other favorites lists that I have set up, including those that have multiple systems (other surrounding counties and VA STARS) in them. What exactly am I screwing up here?

Thanks!

rwier

Can anyone shed some light on this? Like most folks, I'm still learning how to operate this radio. ......... Thanks!

Assuming your Sentinel is very similar to that of the HP-1s, I suggest the following:

Append the entire TRS System into a fresh (new) Favorite List. Then, in the Sentinel Favorite List Editor (gold star with a little pencil), turn off or delete any undesirable Sites or TGs.

Don't try to append portions of Systems using a truncated (partial) append, because I believe (could be wrong) that a lot of hidden data goes along with the whole TRS that you will miss by trying a partial append. Then when you delete (or turn off) Sites and TGs in the Editor, the "hidden" data is still there.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might confirm that you have the appropriate Service Types enabled such as Fire Talk, Fire Tac etc.

Several conditions have to be present in order to receive communications. TGID has to be programmed, not locked out, the Service Type for the TGID has to be programmed, Quick Keys On, Departments On, and within Range. It's a lot for a new user to grasp at first, but eventually it sinks in.

If it was me, I'd either wipe the slate clean or create a whole new Favorites List with another name and Quick Key using Sentinel. I'd also cast a "wide net" programming everything. Once I was comfortable in how the scanner works, I'd start eliminating unwanted things.

Voyager

Best practice to start is to enable all the Service Types and Quick Keys, then learn them by disabling some.

sator1

Printing Favorites List(s)

Question: How do I print my Favorites List(s) from Sentinel? Does Sentinel support a print option? If it does, I can't find it.

Thanx for any help, suggestions, ... enlightenment.

-Fred-

Voyager

It doesn't, but I just copy them to Excel and print if you're talking about a FL listing and not each individual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.