BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Favorites Stop Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

Yesterday my scanner was working fine. But today when I turned the scanner on some of my favorites that were working yesterday stop working. I have a favorite(s) selected I don't see the channels being scanned. This doesn't happen to all favorites that are selected. Example I have favorites 0,1,2 and 8 selected. But the only favorite I see and hear is 1.

I've tried turning the scanner off and on but that didn't work. I've tried removing and replacing the batteries but that didn't work.

The only thing that does work is to reprogram the scanner.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and is there a fix.

Thanks,

Paul

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are several possibilities.

Your quick keys for 0, 2, and 8 have been turned off. Fix: turn them back on.

You turned off the favorite lists. Fix: go into the scanner menu (Set Scan Selection / Select Lists To Monitor) and make sure the favorite lists are turned ON.

You have turned off some Service Types, and the missing favorite lists do not have any channels matching active Service Types, and therefore are not scanned. Fix: Go into the scanner menu and turn Service Types back on.

You changed your location setting in the scanner, and Location Control thinks that the contents of the favorite lists are out of range and has turned them off. Fix: Verify that your location is set correctly in the scanner.

The SD card may have an error. Fix: Get a different SD card, Clear User Data, and write to scanner from Sentinel with bothe the Erase Favorite Lists and Write Full Database boxes checked.

Also setting changes are only saved when you use the power button to shut down the scanner and you see the "writing to SD card" message. If you pull the batteries or USB power to shut down the scanner you can corrupt the SD card, and any setting changes you made (toggling favorite lists or service types, or any other menu changes) will be lost.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Agree with the above, plus wondering if you may have inadvertently bumped the System button and perhaps done a hold on the system, thus not scanning any other Favorites Lists.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
The only thing that might apply is the SD card. But usually when these cards go totally bad and can't be used. Like I posted earlier the scanner was working fine yesterday when I turned the scanner off. After turning the scanner on this morning I noticed that it was too quiet. When I looked at the display all I saw was favorite 1 scanning. I then turned off 0 and 8 then turned them back on. Still 1 was the only one scanning. I then connected the scanner to sentinel and reprogrammed the scanner. It's been awhile but this has happened before and the only way I've found to fix the problem is to reprogram the scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a card problem then. Get a new one, put it in the scanner, Clear User Data, and write to scanner with both boxes checked. EVERY scanner setting is stored on the card, so if settings are randomly changing or getting corrupted, you have a bad card. You want to have a spare card anyway.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, if you are only scanning one quick key, did you try to turn off that only system? If so you should have received a "nothing to scan" message.

I agree that if it is a recurring problem, get a new SD card. If you checked your "scan selection" and your "favorites lists," chances are that it is a bad card. One cheap, little, and bad micro SD card can cause a lot of grief. Greg

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
The only favorites that I turned off and on were the 0 and 8. I never thought of turning off the 1. That would've been interesting to see what would've happened.

I'll get a new SD card and see what happens.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any time I get a new SD card I'll use the SD Formatter utility to re-format the card. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

While it may not be absolutely necessary, sometimes SD cards have utility programs on them. They take up space and could adversely affect card performance in the scanner.

If you can use a computer card reader, that hastens the process of formatting, clearing user data and writing the full database and FLs to the card. When you use Sentinel, just select the drive having the SD card.

It may also be worth trying to re-format your current card. Nothing to lose but minutes of your time.

J

jlmaddencc

It's not the SD card, one of your System's Quick Key's and/or Department\Site Quick Key's are turned off in those particular Favorites List, Reloading programming from Sentinel to the SD Card is proof that the Programming got screwed and more than likely User/Operator ERROR.

Favorites don't just stop working unless the System has been deprecated and those Frequencies are no longer used, but if the BCDx36HP has no Systems or Department Channels and/or Frequencies to scan it will skip those particular Favorite's List entirely. Even if you don't use SQK's or DQK's the Avoid Button Still Avoids the respective File layer.

People need to get of the "Buy a NEW SD CARD" bandwagon and start reading into the problems mentioned and not mentioned, a little reading between the lines goes a long way to troubleshooting for the novice, to the elite.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, I took my SD card out of my 436 a few months ago, and that entire assembly that holds it came apart. Stuff on my desk, the floor, etc. Actually just a few pieces. I don't know how I got it all together again...but somehow I did. I was as gentle as possible with it...FWIW. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.