Fayetteville, NC 28560

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetah2U

Hello all. Newbie here and self professed stay at home rubber necker.

I have a few things I need help with. First, who owns what frequencies in Fayetteville, NC? The second thing is explained in the example. My scanner came pre programmed by Radio Shack with Scan-Lite. Well everyday I have to hear how late the Fayetteville bus system is going to be. By the way, they are late all the time. I have tried to LO the individual talkgroup but they come back every time. In addition, I have another talkgroup that does not say anything, it just makes this awlful noise and it normally starts up after the fire department is dispatched. I could take nails going across a black board over this noise. The talkgroup code is 28560. I have tried everything to stop it from coming back.
Then there is this stuff about VIPER. I plugged in the viper frequencies provided for this area and I still get that awlful noise from 28560, I was hoping those codes would do away with that noise but nope it is still there. Also one of the VIPER codes ended up being a code for the Hope Mills PD in NC. Which is around the corner from Fayetteville. I have only found one 800 mhz code, are their more?
I would like to express a huge "Thank You" for the Fayetteville Police Department Audio Live Feed, so this is what it is like to listen (rubber neck) without that noise, talkgroup code 28560, pushing my nerve.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Which make AND model of scanner do you have ? Radio Shack sells both Radio Shack (GRE) scanners, as well as Uniden scanners. ScanLite is a basic programming software that can be used with certain models from both scanner manufacturers.

At the least, the Radio Shack store should have programmed both the Fayetteville / Cumberland Co public safety trunked radio system and atleast 1 local Viper statewide trunking system site in your scanner.

My second suggestion for you would be to return to the R.S. store, and ask them to reload the scanner programming file in your scanner. If you are not familiar with what a control channel sounds like, it would be very easy for you to lock out the control channel under the assumption you're hearing "noise."

Unfortunately, a locked-out control channel will prevent you from monitoring that entire trunked site (unless the control channel changes frequency).

From your comments, it sounds to me like Radio Shack programmed some talkgroup I-Ds into the scanner, but the related trunked systems are being scanned in "search" mode. You can monitor a trunked system in "scan" or "search" mode, but "search" mode opens up the scanner to monitor unintended talkgroups ... like buses.

Again - indicate what scanner you own. Your post might even get the attention of someone else in your area that has the same scanner.

Cheetah2U

Thanks Jeff

Make is Radio Shack and Model is Pro-97 1,000 channel triple trunking scannner. Cat 20-527. Is this what you were talking about. If not were do I find the make and model?

I have gone back to Radio Shack and they have given me the frequency list for Fayetteville and Cumberland County. Only a few things have changed. They did agree to re-load my scanner if I continued to have the same problems.

It was explained to me that since I have a triple trunking scanner it is almost impossible for me to LO codes because they will be picked up on another frequency. So I usually listen to in scan mode.

I only recently, like this week, learned how to use the search option and I was listening to it last night, Friday, in search mode.

As far as control channel noise, I guess I have no idea what that would sound like. So it is possible this is what I am hearing. I just want the noise to go away or figure out how to hear what they are saying.

Well I hope I have provided the information needed to help resolve my issue.
Thanks again, Jeff

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Cheetah2U-
Welcome to RR.com!
The Pro 97 is a good analog scanner.
My 1st advice to anyone getting started is to
learn how to program the radio by hand.
That way if you are ever in a pinch and
don't have access to a computer you can
program it on the fly.
The following links will help you get used to fully using your scanner:
RR.com Pro 97 Wiki Article
Easier to Read Pro 97 Manual (Strongly Recommended!)
Pro 97 Programming Shortcuts.
Something to think about for the future: When the public safety systems in your area finish go through Rebanding the Pro 97 will not be able to follow the systems which means down the road you will probably invest in a radio that can follow rebanded systems.
But for now the links above should get you started with enough info.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Cheetah2U

Been there.

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I have already been on all those sites but didn't really take too much time on them. The only one's I haven't been to were the Wiki sites.
I'm gonna take a longer look at your suggestions and hopefully I can straighten out my issues. At least I will have a better understanding on how the scanner works.

Thanks again

RogerH11

The awful noise could be a data talkgroup where the MDT's are sending/receiving data. If you hear a clicking noise (click click click) then the talkgroup is probably digital. Up here in Wake County mostly everything is digital so you need a digital scanner and I assume for Viper state wide someday as well.

bilbo524

Jaded IT Guy
Heh, looks like this may be a moot point as it seems Fayetteville has switched over to VIPER as of tonight (1/3/10)...

Cheetah2U

Thanks

bilbo524, thanks for the update. I was trying to listen last night (1-3-10) it was making some strange noises and I could barely pick up any chatter. Well looks like I need to get busy programing some VIPER codes into my scanner. Thanks for the heads up.
Happy New Year

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
Not confirmed but the 800 system maintained by fayetteville has crashed with no short term fix and the county has let fayetteville dept use some ht radios on viper to dispatch and stay in contact.the whole system has went i hear no bus,water or other radios to include fpd and deputys.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
IN REPLY TO THE OTHER POSTs CUMBERLAND CO SHERIFF DEPT AND FIRE DEPTs ARE TO SWITCH TO VIPER,THE FAYETTEVILLE POLICE DEPT SO FAR ARE STAYING WITH THE 800 SYSTEM WHICH THEY OWN AND MAINTAIN BUT DO HAVE SOME TAC FREQs ON VIPER THEY CAN USE,BUT I THINK THE WHOLE 800 SYSTEM HAS CRASHED AS OF SUNDAY. AND WHEN SPRING LAKE PD IS BACK UP AND RUNNING THEY WILL ALSO BE ON VIPER.

bilbo524

Jaded IT Guy
Good to hear. I was afraid I'd have to go buy a digital scanner :)

Well, as already stated, everything is back to normal after a malfunction in the Fayetteville/Cumberland County TRS that put the system out of commission for about 18 hours.

For further 10-14: http://fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/01/04/965377

Last edited:

Cheetah2U

Thanks

Hello all. I just wanted to let you to know that I took my scanner (Pro-97) back to Radio Shack and they re-loaded the updated information. It has made a huge difference. So far I am able to L/O fleet ID's that I don't care to hear, ie bus drivers and that annoying fleet code 28560.

I wanted to say thank you for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.