FBI Eastern NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Has anybody had any luck either monitoring or knowing what frequencies the FBI uses in the Eastern North Carolina area? I have been scanning for quite some time and I cannot come across anything. I do not see any listings anywhere for Easter North Carolina specifically Greenville area. I know that there is activity in this area at times but I just can't seem to come across anything not even encrypted.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Simple solution:

1. Buy a TRX-1 and update it to the latest firmware/software
2. Import a list of VHF federal frequencies from 163-174 Mhz using P25 NAC search in 12.5khz steps and set to RECORD
3. Ideally, you'll want to use an outdoor antenna mounted as high as possible -- rubber duck will limit your range to only a couple of miles at best
4. Let it scan 24/7/365 and you'll have your answers

PS. Depending on your location you might need a FM broadcast band notch filter.

The nice thing about scanning digital only is that you won't pick up spurious analog signals.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The Elusive Ones

Has anybody had any luck either monitoring or knowing what frequencies the FBI uses in the Eastern North Carolina area? I have been scanning for quite some time and I cannot come across anything. I do not see any listings anywhere for Easter North Carolina specifically Greenville area. I know that there is activity in this area at times but I just can't seem to come across anything not even encrypted.

Good luck on your sojourn. It is a rare occurrence to hear the FBI without encryption, but some have monitored such. In larger cities, you might have a better chance of hearing traffic. In smaller cities, they tend to blend into existing radio systems.

Here is a good source of information: The Fed Files Blog

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would think in NC they would use VIPER and P25 VHF. Although both encrypted, sometimes there are clear transmissions

I've heard more fed traffic on Viper (both clear and encrypted ) than on the fed bands. Even this morning, despite the snow/ice we got over night I've heard a fed agency on viper talking about picking up dogs. Plus what limited traffic I hear on the fed band is usually encrypted.

p3nt4g0n

Premium Subscriber
I've heard more fed traffic on Viper (both clear and encrypted ) than on the fed bands. Even this morning, despite the snow/ice we got over night I've heard a fed agency on viper talking about picking up dogs. Plus what limited traffic I hear on the fed band is usually encrypted.

Alot of traffic on Statewide TGs that involve fed, state, and local pd. I havent caught much fed band activity where Im at solely on their bands, but Statewide TGs are very popular. To my knowledge Statewide Event TGs supposedly are ENC free, but have recently seen differently, can anybody in the know explain?

p3nt4g0n

Premium Subscriber
Also I might add alot of PD / State / Fed are starting to use a app that is available on mobile phones called Zello. Im guessing this makes it 100% unmonitorible given they have cell service in their surveillance area. This option more or less completely ditches there radios and solely relies on their issued cell phone and signal. An issue I feel they run into with this method is alot of heavy traffickers set up way on out in the country where service can be spotty which would render the app.

reconrider8

i used to catch encrypted traffic all the time on the federal bands but it was few and far between and it was all encrypted

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
As others have said, FBI is mainly on VIPER from what I can tell. You can hear them on their TGs or the Statewide Events channels. Mostly I have heard them in the clear.

Most of the federal VHF stuff around here is P25 encrypted... it’s usually just the NPS that I hear in the clear. The ICE repeater which is the most active VHF federal repeater here uses full encryption. Like I said, still a good amount of in the clear federal comms on VIPER though.

Status
Not open for further replies.