FBI warns job hunters of online job scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

Actually when you think about it, employers don't give their employees anything. Everything, and anything you get from your employer is earned. It's just held back, or redirected. Like sick pay, vacation pay, etc. They aren't giving it to you...it's an earned benefit. When I worked as an IT contractor, I could get a lot more money because they didn't provide any benefits, paid vacation, sick pay etc. So instead they just gave me the money up front. Not so bad.

MacombMonitor said:
Actually when you think about it, employers don't give their employees anything. Everything, and anything you get from your employer is earned. It's just held back, or redirected. Like sick pay, vacation pay, etc. They aren't giving it to you...it's an earned benefit. When I worked as an IT contractor, I could get a lot more money because they didn't provide any benefits, paid vacation, sick pay etc. So instead they just gave me the money up front. Not so bad.
bingo.

the honey-jobs are overseas. like with KBR. $100,000/yr tax-free driving a truck. or being a network admin.

trick is, GETTING those jobs.

John_M said:
Since when? Traditionally it has been the employer who provides health care benefits. Why should we step back from this? It has worked before and can work again. Yes, fewer and fewer businesses are providing health care benefits. Why because they can't afford it.
And that explains why more and more employers are going toward not offering those benefits. "Traditionally"? Hardly. It was something that was started as an incentive by some employers to attract employees back in the day. It's popularity took off and more employees started doing it. But that hardly makes it "traditional", and certainly doesn't create an entitlement.

John_M said:
Now, say instead they pay you more without providing health care. You still need health insurance.
Maybe. Maybe you're paid enough to be able to pay for all your medical costs out-of-pocket (if so, nice work!). If not, but you can afford health insurance, absolutely you should buy it. The bottom line in this case is that you have the choice to do so or not.

John_M said:
I don't like the idea of saving your money so you can pay for your hospital bills if a sudden illness comes upon you or a member of your family. Hey, don't take your kids to Cedar Point you should save that money if one of them gets sick.
If I wasn't able to negotiate a contract with an employer that provides health insurance coverage, your darned right I'd be taking personal responsibility to save money in case one of my children got sick. If that meant not taking the kids to Cedar Point (I grew up right near there, heh), then sorry they lose... there are priorities in life that must be addressed and respected.

John_M said:
Just how much should you save? This is what health insurance is for.
Absolutely. But that health insurance should not be expected to be provided, either by an employer or the taxpayers. It's great if you can get a job where you have that as a benefit. But in no way should that be construed to mean that you are entitled to it anymore than you are as outlined in your employment contract.

John_M said:
Health insurers are keeping their costs down by limiting their coverage and the cost for the insurance has gone higher.
Well, they have to turn their profit, too. This is the very capitalist system that the US was built on. These aren't charity organizations. That so many people want others to pay for their costs of living is just sickening; they don't seem to understand that in doing so, others would be essentially enslaved to provide these services.

The harsh bottom line is this: if you have done such a pathetic job of developing job skills and a work ethic that you cannot either afford to pay all medical costs out-of-pocket, afford health insurance, or attract an employer who's willing to hire you and provide coverage, then you have no business having children. We have far too many people in this country who have children that they know full well they cannot afford to raise. And paying for their medical costs is part of raising them responsibly.

MacombMonitor said:
Yup. I was a federal contractor in a previous life. Same deal... had money earmarked by the contract for health benefit paid to me directly. And it all got socked away to pay for a health-care plan of *my* choice. :)

What you say about the earned benefit thing is pretty muchly true... if it's all part of your contract with the employer, that's what you are getting back in return for the services you provide to the employer on your end. That's what you earn.

newbie said:
Yep going up to 6.90 and we already have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.
What state are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.