FCC Approves LoJack Upgrade Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
What's all the concern about? IN 2009 there will be no more analog TV transmissions. The frequency to my knowledge isn't even an audio channel. Furthermore, unless you live in say, south central LA, I wouldn't worry too much about interference. :lol:

What LoJack should research is the use of passive RFID. When a police cruiser is near a LoJack RFID equipped vehicle the RFID tag will send a unique code to the MDT and if the MDT's database has this code showing as stolen, BINGO! The RFID return signal is used to trianglate the car's position. Now of course there is privacy concerns here, but if privacy was a concern to people who use LoJack, then there wouldn't be any LOJack devices in use at all. :lol:

Last edited:

eraweeb

I've always kept the main Lo-Jack frequency programmed into my scanners but in all these years it has only picked up the signal once. It was loud and clear so I assumed that the stolen vehicle had to be very close to me.

As I sat by my kitchen window watching the street, 2 police vehicles went by at high speed just as the signal started faded out. Switching to one of the main police channels, I heard the stolen vehicle being pulled over a few blocks away and the driver was apprehended.

That was several years ago and that frequency has never lit up since. However I had an experience yesterday, (Sunday, 8/18) that reminded me of it and also made me gain new questions to find answers to.

This happened in Las Vegas. The Dispatcher put out a call with a code of 407-B. Not being familiar with that code I looked it up on my sheet and it said "Robbery Involving A Tracking Device." It turns out it was a bank robbery and the suspect was getting away by car.

Then the Dispatcher asked for any cars with "Trackers" to make the scene. I doubt if they were using Lo-Jack, so my question is if anyone knows what kind of tracking devices are used for that,
and does anyone know any frequencies used?

I have heard of them using those exploding money packs lately for bank robberies, but I didn't know they were also using tracking devices. Anybody got the 411 on these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.