FCC CHAIRMAN PAI: Caller ID Authentication is Necessary for American Consumers in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipfd320

Banned
Media Contact: Will Wiquist,
(202) 418-0509
will.wiquist@fcc.gov
For Immediate Release

CHAIRMAN PAI: CALLER ID AUTHENTICATION IS NECESSARY FOR AMERICAN CONSUMERS IN 2019
Many Phone Companies Have Offered Encouraging Timelines for Rolling Out This Critical Service for Combating Spoofed Robocalls WASHINGTON,

February 13, 2019—Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai today reiterated his call for a robust caller ID authentication system to combat illegal caller ID spoofing. The Chairman recently asked the nation’s largest carriers to provide details about their caller ID authentication plans and he has called for implementation to take place this year.

“American consumers are sick and tired of unwanted robocalls, this consumer among them. Caller ID authentication will be a significant step towards ending the scourge of spoofed robocalls. It’s time for carriers to implement robust caller ID authentication. Uniform adoption will help improve authentication throughout the network and make sure no consumer gets left behind. I applaud those companies that have committed to deploy the SHAKEN/STIR framework in 2019. This goal should be achievable for every major wireless provider, interconnected VoIP operator, and telephone company—and I expect those lagging behind to make every effort to catch up. If it appears major carriers won’t meet the deadline to get this done this year, the FCC will have to consider regulatory intervention,” said Chairman Pai.

On November 5, 2018, Chairman Pai demanded that the phone industry begin providing caller ID authentication for consumers in 2019. In response, phone companies—including wireless companies, traditional landline providers, and tech companies offering VoIP—outlined their plans. The carriers’ responses can be found here.

While some carriers committed to rollout these services in the coming months, others hedged, citing concerns that other carriers appear to have already addressed. Chairman Pai believes that wireless providers, interconnected VoIP providers, and telephone companies should make real caller ID authentication (the SKAKEN/STIR framework) a priority and believes that major carriers can meet his 2019 goal.

Under the SHAKEN/STIR framework—a set of protocols and a multi-phase framework developed with the input of many stakeholders—calls traveling through interconnected phone networks would have their caller ID “signed” as legitimate by originating carriers and validated by other carriers before reaching consumers. The framework digitally validates the handoff of phone calls passing through the complex web of networks, allowing the phone company of the consumer receiving the call to verify that a call is from the person making it.

###

Office of Media Relations: (202) 418-0500 ASL
Videophone: (844) 432-2275
TTY: (888) 835-5322
Twitter: @FCC www.fcc.gov/media-relations

This is an unofficial announcement of Commission action.
Release of the full text of a Commission order constitutes official action. See MCI v. FCC, 515 F.2d 385 (D.C. Cir. 1974).

N2AL

I am thankful the F.C.C. is finally stepping up to the plate, and trying to combat robo-calls and Caller ID spoofing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am thankful the F.C.C. is finally stepping up to the plate, and trying to combat robo-calls and Caller ID spoofing.

I agree.

However, the FCC is not well known for looking after the consumer. In fact, they have a pretty awful history of selling out to the highest bidder. I have my doubts about this. Lobbyists will create loopholes, like they did with "Do Not Call" lists. That will allow those with enough money to skirt the requirements. The final outcome is that the FCC will crow about fixing the "robocalling issue" and the "spoofed caller ID issue", yet we as the general public will still get robocalls and spoofed caller ID.

At this point in my life I pretty much do not answer the phone unless it's a known number. Everything else goes to voice mail.

RFI-EMI-GUY

About a year ago, fed up by an onslaught of spoofed scam robocalls, I called the FCC 800 number to present a formal complaint and to offer my phone number to monitor. They were very unhelpful, preferring to "educate me on robocalls". So I tried to call the Bureau Chief Rosemary Harold. Guess what she neither takes nor returns calls unless you are from the media.

If you look at the EB website they make a lot of hay about busting pimply kids running pirate stations from their attic, even showing latest count with an interactive map . There sole charter is to protect Broadcasters Interests. In fact, Public Safety complaints are handled by APCO through an MOU before the FCC will get involved.

They have busted some high profile robocallers but stop short at busting the folks enabling them to spoof numbers.

I expect the loopholes will let the miscreants dump calls directly into your VM or SMS as they have lobbied to do so for a while.

Leadership:
harold.jpg

Rosemary Harold
Bureau Chief

bharvey2

Sounds nice on paper but I'm not holding my breath. I've done the "Do not call" lists and those don't seem to be even a speed bump in stopping the calls. As others have mentioned, if a call comes in on my cell phone and the number isn't in my contact list, it doesn't get answered. Home is even worse. I just realized something: one of my sons bought my wife a new set of wireless phones this past Christmas. I've yet to answer a call on them. Every number I've seem come through on the display has been a robo-call.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have to screen all my calls now. I used to pick up right away. Now it goes to VM. I hate to do that to folks but the S/NR has been poor.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
It's very easy now a days to create a SIP trunk and fake the caller-ID. So how the FCC plans to mandate this will be a joke, really. I imagine a lot of this crap, just like Intrernet spam comes from India. I'm pretty damn sure it does, too because I got a phony IRS tax scam voicemail once from a guy who sounded Indian. And I've heard this crap before on YouTube.

The only, and I mean ONLY way to mitigate these calls is to have a database that can be queried like Nomorobo, and if the number going to your phone is in that database it's zapped. It's analogous to the Stop Forum Spam database that gets thousands of queries everyday.

Time for the FCC to catch up with technology I say. Especially since so many now use a cellphone as their primary means of a telephone.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
About a year ago, fed up by an onslaught of spoofed scam robocalls, I called the FCC 800 number to present a formal complaint and to offer my phone number to monitor. They were very unhelpful, preferring to "educate me on robocalls". So I tried to call the Bureau Chief Rosemary Harold. Guess what she neither takes nor returns calls unless you are from the media.

If you look at the EB website they make a lot of hay about busting pimply kids running pirate stations from their attic, even showing latest count with an interactive map . There sole charter is to protect Broadcasters Interests. In fact, Public Safety complaints are handled by APCO through an MOU before the FCC will get involved.

They have busted some high profile robocallers but stop short at busting the folks enabling them to spoof numbers.

I expect the loopholes will let the miscreants dump calls directly into your VM or SMS as they have lobbied to do so for a while.

Leadership:
harold.jpg

Rosemary Harold
Bureau Chief

She looks like a dumb twit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's very easy now a days to create a SIP trunk and fake the caller-ID.

It's easy to do the SIP part. It's not easy to access the networks to get the call processed through the carriers.
Carriers are letting these guys in, and that is where the solution lies. The carriers are the ones that could/should be stopping this.
When you look at the FCC releases, there's always new VoIP CLEC's popping up.

I haven't taken our system to SIP trunking yet, it hasn't been cost effective until recently. I'm still running a bunch of PRI circuits to various carriers. I process the outgoing caller ID to make a complete 10 digit number. The carriers will -only- let me send out numbers that are in our own prefixes. In other words, using PRI trunking, the carriers I use will not let me spoof caller ID.

This is an easy fix. The issue is that they don't want to fix it. It's too lucrative a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.