FCC closes book on 800 MHz rebanding after almost 17 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
FCC commissioners yesterday voted unanimously to end the 800 MHz rebanding program, bringing a formal end to the almost-17-year initiative that was designed to mitigate much of the interference that some public-safety LMR systems received from the cellular networks now owned by T-Mobile, after the carrier merged with Sprint.

“I am pleased to say that the rebanding program has fully achieved its objective,” Lisa Fowlkes, chief of the FCC’s public-safety and homeland-security bureau, said during the FCC’s virtual meeting. “And rebanding has done more than alleviate interference. It has freed up additional spectrum for public-safety and critical-infrastructure licensees. It has enabled many public-safety licensees to upgrade their systems, and it has enhanced public-safety interoperability.”

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
My County definitely got its money's worth out of the XTS and XTL's that were provided in replacement for the LTS and LCS radios.
It was painful to herd the cat's twice, but my local government users really liked the upgraded equipment and some are still in service.

garys

Premium Subscriber
After all that neither Nextel nor Sprint still exist. My former agency got some new equipment out of it, but Massachusetts wasn't as impacted as much as some states.

Status
Not open for further replies.