FCC database - confidential exclusions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolnCode3

Can someone point to a thread that discusses what licensing data is excluded from the FCC databases? There is a frequency that I know a company uses, that isn't in the database. The likelihood they're operating illegally is just about 0%.

Yet I can't find it in the FCC database. Maybe I just did the search wrong.

The search from RR.com's search utility says "No FCC information found in the database for: (XXX.XXXX <=> XXX.XXXX)"

The Wiki didn't produce any results either.

Last edited:

Don_Burke

Can someone point to a thread that discusses what licensing data is excluded from the FCC databases? There is a frequency that I know a company uses, that isn't in the database. The likelihood they're operating illegally is just about 0%.

The search from RR.com's search utility says "No FCC information found in the database for: (XXX.XXXX <=> XXX.XXXX)"

Not likely.

Try a search for a small frequency range.

Can you post what you know so I can try it?

N9JIG

Sheriff

There are a few reasons a company's data might be excluded from the FCC database:

It may be operating under the name and license of a subsidiary, parent, partner or other affiliate, current or past.

It might be using an SMR or some other commercial provider, in which case it does not need a separate license.

It might be using cellular PTT, such as Nextel, instead of conventional radios.

It might be using FRS, MURS or some other unlicensed radio service.

It might be operating without a license.

Don_Burke

There are a few reasons a company's data might be excluded from the FCC database:

It may be operating under the name and license of a subsidiary, parent, partner or other affiliate, current or past.

It might be using an SMR or some other commercial provider, in which case it does not need a separate license.

It might be using cellular PTT, such as Nextel, instead of conventional radios.

It might be using FRS, MURS or some other unlicensed radio service.

It might be operating without a license.
It looks like he was searching by frequency and found nothing.

I have had that before and found that searching for a small frequency range will sometimes turn up an oddball channel.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The FCC database is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination! I experience the same thing trying to find hits on their database. Their data is corrupted with spelling errors, duplications, typos, and I have to believe some exclusions.

I used to subscribe to FCC data CD's from PERCON. Using their data, and my database, I would find countless errors. I contact them and their defense was that they only package, format and distribute the FCC data, they do not alter it in any way. They acknowledge it was a mess and causing some very serious problems.

I have difficulty finding my own license in various search scenarios.

rankin39

We have a local trunking system in the Lawrence, KS area that I couldn't find in the FCC database. I knew it was there and could monitor it but not a trace in either a frequency or an area search. I even knew what tower it was on and the guy who serviced it. Finally I copied off a Morse I.D. I then searched by callsign. Bingo. It turns out the system is licensed to a law firm in *Maryland*, and there's a little note that says Topeka, KS is a marketing area they are licensed to serve. The system is actually 25 miles east of Topeka and can't even be used easily in Topeka, but that didn't stop them. If the company you're looking for has a national office in some other state, check there. You might be surprised.

Bob, WoNXN

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I would try doing an area search, like a 1/2 mile around their location. I've found a couple of frequencies using that method that I was unable to locate any other way.

Mike

RolnCode3

It's actually for the bank tag tracking system, so I was curious about it.

For confidentiality reasons I won't post the frequency or the name of the company. But neither returns anything in the searches.

monitor142

R-C3, if you are talking about ETS, they may be using a gov't allocation in the 200-300MHz band. I've played with their equipment and used their test unit to check calibration on a new install in a b&w. I believe they are using pulse code modulation for the transmitters at very low power.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
It's actually for the bank tag tracking system, so I was curious about it.

For confidentiality reasons I won't post the frequency or the name of the company. But neither returns anything in the searches.
From the above and your OP, I get the feeling you are not talking about the actual FCC database, but rather the copy of it used here on the RR Site. If that is true, there are several categories of licenses not included for the obvious reason of storage space. Generally only those license categories that are used in business and public safety are included. Others (e.g. GMRS, Amateur, SMR, broadcast, etc.) that are generally not used in either business or public safety are excluded.

This has been discussed at various times since RR went live (02/2004) but I am pretty sure that the only person that has a specific list of what is included and excluded is Lindsay. I do know, from discussions in the Database Administrator Forum, that various categories have been added over the past 4 years, but again, I don't think anyone (but Lindsay) has a complete list.

ecps92

Maybe if we knew the Frequency and/or subject of the license, we could point him in the right direction vs
generalities due to speculation

Lou , thats good to know, seem to recall that from the past, but alas too much to keep track of....

From the above and your OP, I get the feeling you are not talking about the actual FCC database, but rather the copy of it used here on the RR Site. If that is true, there are several categories of licenses not included for the obvious reason of storage space. Generally only those license categories that are used in business and public safety are included. Others (e.g. GMRS, Amateur, SMR, broadcast, etc.) that are generally not used in either business or public safety are excluded.

This has been discussed at various times since RR went live (02/2004) but I am pretty sure that the only person that has a specific list of what is included and excluded is Lindsay. I do know, from discussions in the Database Administrator Forum, that various categories have been added over the past 4 years, but again, I don't think anyone (but Lindsay) has a complete list.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Tag tracking systems will not be licensed if they fall under Part 15 of the FCC Rules. That might be why there is no record of this one.

RolnCode3

Hmm. OK. Thanks for the info.

Because of policy reasons I cannot post the exact frequency. I tried using the search on here and directly from the FCC website, and neither generated any results. If it's excluded due to some laws then that would make sense (I don't know anything about Part15).

My question is answered (or good enough for my interest). Thanks everyone.

Don_Burke

Because of policy reasons I cannot post the exact frequency. I tried using the search on here and directly from the FCC website, and neither generated any results. If it's excluded due to some laws then that would make sense (I don't know anything about Part15).

Part 15 is non-licensed operation and does not get registered anywhere.

Googling the frequency might bring up a manufacturer's website.

I doubt the FCC has any "secret" licenses out there. Part 15 or federal government frequencies would be my guess.

ecps92

Again, if we knew exactly what you are looking for, we might find the FCC ID and be able to point you to the right FCC page for the info. Speculation seems to be on [Dye Pack trackers] but what make, model, FCC ID, even at Part 15, they probably need to submit to the FCC for Type Acceptance...[anyone confirm or correct me ?]

Status
Not open for further replies.