• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC fees and forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCLG316

I belong to a fire police squad and we use are county frequencies all the time to talk around. We are looking at setting up a mobile repeater for a 110 watt radio in are primiary units. Does anyone know what the fees are to get a license and recurring cost and how often? Also what forms would I have to fill out or would it be easier to have a radio company do it for me. We are also trying to get information about in-band mobile repeaters VHF. Thanks

Hi there, I have licensed a couple of business frequencies... and I had to fill out two different forms one is about the business and the other one is personal information to a degree.... how are very first started as I contacted the FCC at the following number 888-225-5322 and told them I wanted to license a business frequency and told them what band I I wanted UHF or VHF ... and then they emailed me a form I have to fill out and then they assigned me FRN ( frequency registration number) after I filled out the form and emailed it back to them... and after I had the FRN and then they emailed me a list of frequency coordinators ( there's different ones for different bands , I was licensing a VHF frequencies so I contacted AAA frequency coordinator @ 888-601-3676 and then they emailed me two more forms which I filled out .. and then from the time I sent them back via email it was about 1 week later and I can start using the frequency but I did not have the call sign for about a month all in all I bet you could fill out the forms and have your frequency within a week and a half or less! sorry if I made it sound like a lot of paperwork but there's about three forms all together , the cost all together was around 500 $$$ I had to pay the FCC 250 $ and then the frequency coordinator about that same,... and I think the license is good for about 10 years but unsure exactly. and if your licensing a repeater they're gonna want to know how many radios you have mobiles and handhelds and how much power there transmitting and your repeater location and antenna details such as how high it is on the tower and how much gain the antenna has and and the elevation of the repeater, and of course the power output .... and if you want my personal opinion I would use UHF the reason being is because UHF covers quite a bit better than VHF so you won't have as many dead spots and it will work better inside of buildings etc

how big of an area is your jurisdiction or how much coverage do you want from the repeater

and keep in mind I heard Public Safety frequencies take longer to license then business frequencies , and I'm not sure why

and also keep in mind that I licensed business frequency not public safety so it could be different from what I explained I hope that helps and feel free to message me if you have anymore questions or need help and I can also give you my email if you'd like?

I belong to a fire police squad and we use are county frequencies all the time to talk around. We are looking at setting up a mobile repeater for a 110 watt radio in are primiary units. Does anyone know what the fees are to get a license and recurring cost and how often? Also what forms would I have to fill out or would it be easier to have a radio company do it for me. We are also trying to get information about in-band mobile repeaters VHF. Thanks

Usually police and fire deptments get exmemt from the fees. It usually includes all goverment entries. The only people who usually pay the fees is business and other coorpations.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Usually police and fire deptments get exmemt from the fees. It usually includes all goverment entries. The only people who usually pay the fees is business and other coorpations.
A clarification here: Governmental agencies are only exempt from FCC fees. They are NOT exempt from frequency coordination fees. If they choose to hire an agent to take care of the licensing, they are not exempt from the agent's fees, either.

Only those agencies directly connected to government are exempt from FCC fees. A fire department operated by a private corporation is not exempt, even if they are contracted to a governmental body.

On the FCC's website (fcc.gov) there is detailed information on fees and exemptions.

A clarification here: Governmental agencies are only exempt from FCC fees. They are NOT exempt from frequency coordination fees. If they choose to hire an agent to take care of the licensing, they are not exempt from the agent's fees, either.

Only those agencies directly connected to government are exempt from FCC fees. A fire department operated by a private corporation is not exempt, even if they are contracted to a governmental body.

On the FCC's website (fcc.gov) there is detailed information on fees and exemptions.

Thank you for clairifying it for me. All I knew was about the Governmental agencies being exempt. I never read that much into detail about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.