FCC finally prevails over K1MAN, Glenn Baxter

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4OM

Premium Subscriber
The curious Amateur Radio enforcement case of Glenn Baxter, now ex-K1MAN, of Belgrade Lakes, Maine, appears to winding down and may be at an end. The FCC dismissed Baxter’s long-standing license renewal application on June 23, invoking its “Red Light Rule,” which gives the Commission authority to turn down a pending application if the applicant has an unpaid fine on the books. Baxter was liable for a $10,000 FCC forfeiture stemming from violations over a period extending back several years.

“Anyone filing an application [who] is found to be delinquent in debt owed to the FCC and who fails to pay the debt in full or make other satisfactory arrangements in a timely manner will have their application dismissed,” said the Notice of Dismissal appended to Baxter’s Universal Licensing System (ULS) file. “Because you have failed to resolve this matter timely, your application is hereby dismissed.”

K1MAN is therefore available now for assignment as a vanity callsign

D

DaveNF2G

Why take a callsign that nobody wants to talk to? LOL.

prcguy

Was he part of the east coast evening 3.910 group awhile back? I used to listen to them via my remote HF station in MA and they were a scream to listen to, although the language was not suitable for all audiences. I always wondered if they would ever pay for their radio sins.
prcguy

AgentCOPP1

What's the deal with K1MAN? What did he do?

I'm aware of the crap that goes on in 14.313 but I'm pretty sure that loser isn't K1MAN.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Was he part of the east coast evening 3.910 group awhile back?

What's the deal with K1MAN? What did he do?

I don't recall that he was ever involved with 3910. What he's most infamous for is his one way broadcasting on 14275, under the guise of conducting "bulletins" for his American Amateur Radio Association. The AARA was his attempt to compete with the ARRL, but it was an epic and comical failure. I think his feud with the ARRL started back in the 90's when he was advertising in QST for repair of Collins radios. He pissd off a bunch of his customers, who then complained to QST and the ARRL. They stopped carrying his ads, and the war was on.

The guy is nuts. The AARA web page was hilariously amateurish, and it's now been replaced by his "Belgrade Lakes Institute for Advanced Research" where he attempts to show that Albert Einstein was an idiot. The web page contains many questionable white papers, and some plagiarized ones from credible scientists. His AARA web page is gone now, but a good spoof on what it actually looked like is here: http://www.k1man.net/

Some of the animated graphics on the spoof page were lifted right off of K1MAN's page. Yes, it really looked that bad.

He also seemed to have some sort of association with VE7KFM, and between the two, they kept 14725 lit up constantly for years.

Last edited:

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Baxter was the head of a group called "American Amateur Radio Association," and used to broadcast one-way transmissions on 20 meters. This went on for years. I think he also advertised goods and services that were connected to his website, K1MAN.com. He claimed the FCC had no legitimate authority over his use of the airwaves, and challenged them in Federal Court. Lost every time. Baxter seems to have libertarian leanings about the the authority government has over the populace.

Token

And a few years (if that long) down the road some new ham is going to be crtusing vanity calls to grab, see K1MAN, and not know the story. Off he goes to the races, "oh man, I can't believe no one has this call, because I am the MAN, I got to have that one". And he wonders for a while why people give him crap or ask him why he got that call. Hopefully he hears the story before he sours on ham radio ;)

T!

com501

To me, a callsign is like a tool, to be used and discarded if broken, but to some hams, they are personal. You take it, to prevent some poor sucker from getting it, or to prevent one of this guy's friends from getting it.

DPD1

This guy sounds tame, compared to the infamous Jack Garritson. Between 99 and 06, he jammed and interfered with countless systems in SoCal. CHP, local PD, numerous ham repeaters, Red Cross radio net, MARS... Even the Coast Guard. If it used radios, he jammed it. They finally put him away for good in 06. Though I think he was due to get out, possibly last year? Not sure. There were numerous rumors that a few local hams had basically incited him to do the things he did, by giving him free radio gear and egging him on. It was never proven though. At any rate... He was a bit off, as you can imagine. One of those anti gov, 'free speech' types. That was the gist of his reasoning for doing what he did... He claimed it was 'free speech'. I'm not even sure he's still alive.

com501

Run his name through the prison system, it will return his present location. The free background check sites will do the same, although you may have to pay a fee...

I keep track of all the people that I put behind bars occasionally, just to make sure none of them have moved into my town.

wbswetnam

Baxter was the head of a group called "American Amateur Radio Association," and used to broadcast one-way transmissions on 20 meters. This went on for years. I think he also advertised goods and services that were connected to his website, K1MAN.com. He claimed the FCC had no legitimate authority over his use of the airwaves, and challenged them in Federal Court. Lost every time. Baxter seems to have libertarian leanings about the the authority government has over the populace.

Maybe by some miracle if he gets his fines paid off, he can relicense as K1LID... that's available too! ;-)

wbswetnam

Baxter seems to have libertarian leanings about the the authority government has over the populace.

Some people have trouble understanding that amateur radio, like driving a vehicle or flying an airplane, is a PRIVILEGE granted by the government. It is not a constitutional right! If you decide to take your car and do burnouts and donuts in the parking lot of your local police station, then you can expect that your driving privileges will be curtailed. Likewise, if you flout the FCC rules regarding amateur radio, you can expect your radio privileges to be curtailed or taken away, too. Some people have no understanding of constitutional rights, and the limits that an individual has on those rights.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Some people have trouble understanding that amateur radio, like driving a vehicle or flying an airplane, is a PRIVILEGE granted by the government. It is not a constitutional right! If you decide to take your car and do burnouts and donuts in the parking lot of your local police station, then you can expect that your driving privileges will be curtailed. Likewise, if you flout the FCC rules regarding amateur radio, you can expect your radio privileges to be curtailed or taken away, too. Some people have no understanding of constitutional rights, and the limits that an individual has on those rights.

What he said.

LICENSE and RIGHT are not mutually interchangeable.

A license grants one privileges. Privileges are subject to being modified or even revoked altogether, by the one who grants them.

Rights are something one is entitled to, regardless.

Why some people get the two confused is beyond me.,

D

DaveNF2G

It's because they don't want to understand it correctly. That would be inconvenient.

990adv

Can one of you guys direct me to the enumerated power that gives the feds authority over the airwaves? I am just not finding it in article I section 8. There is something interesting in amendment ten you might like to read. You guys might be mistaking authority with physical power.

wkm

Can one of you guys direct me to the enumerated power that gives the feds authority over the airwaves? I am just not finding it in article I section 8. There is something interesting in amendment ten you might like to read. You guys might be mistaking authority with physical power.

Come on man. You should know it's the commerce clause. It trumps everything. Even the original intent of the Bill of Rights. The one were the Founders said that the list wouldn't be a limited to the ten. But mere grains of sand on a beach. Rights are infinite not finite.

Forget it it's easier to trump it all with the commerce clause and create slaves that lock their own cell at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.