FCC fines person for unauthorized use of NYPD freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksmith

One of those paragraphs noted the use of the radio to distract police from accomplices which would be using the radio in the commission of a crime. I would think that would involve a few years in addition to the 400k.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
One of those paragraphs noted the use of the radio to distract police from accomplices which would be using the radio in the commission of a crime. I would think that would involve a few years in addition to the 400k.

His actions had the potential to do so much harm that not only should he get jail time, they need to add numbers to his serial number to keep him there.

scosgt

We used to have a Judge who told guys like this:

YOUR PAROLE OFFICER HAS NOT BEEN BORN YET

marksmith

Potential is not illegal though. Many have the potential.
I think he went s little bit beyond on the "potential" to the point it was against the law in any state, even if he was just monitoring a scanner. He was actively broadcasting misinformation in order to mislead police and cause chaos on an illegal frequency. In some cases in the commission of a crime.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

If he had continued, who knows what?

Potential has legal affects in some states. Georgia has a "Criminal Attempt" law. If substantial steps were accomplished toward the commission of a crime,, but the crime wasn't completed, you might be charged That wouldn't apply here but it does count for potential.

Protective orders also consider potential.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber

That's a good point!

ten13

Premium Subscriber
FCC Proposes $400K Fine For Unauthorized Police Radio Transmissions

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has proposed a $400,000 fine for a man who allegedly broadcast fake and threatening messages on the New York Police Department’s radio frequencies.

Jay Peralta is accused of transmitting fake bomb threats and calls about officers in distress, the FCC said. On at least one occasion, Peralta was allegedly trying to distract officers from a robbery being conducted by his accomplices, according to a statement he gave to the NYPD.

FCC proposes $400K fine for bomb threats made over NYPD radio | TheHill

Roodog2k

What are you saying, precisely? This person (allegedly) transmitted illegally on police frequencies with the intent to disrupt . He wasn't just listening to his scanner. This also goes beyond the FCC enforcement actions that have occurred against hams on 14.313, K1MAN, CB jammers, and even people illegally transmitting on the FM broadcast band. He was messing with a public safety service in our largest city.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CrabbyMilton

These frequencies are for emergency traffic. If this goof wanted to behave this way, all he had to do is buy an FRS radio and talk to his hearts content not tie up NYPD radio.
One thing that is not lacking in the world are people with mental problems.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
These frequencies are for emergency traffic. If this goof wanted to behave this way, all he had to do is buy an FRS radio and talk to his hearts content not tie up NYPD radio.
One thing that is not lacking in the world are people with mental problems.

His goal WAS to "tie up NYPD radio," with threats against specifically named cops, and calling in "assist" calls.

And not just on one NYPD frequency, either.

This was not just some kid who found a lost police radio and started talking:

FCC Seeks Hefty Fine for Robbery Suspect Accused of Making Fake Transmissions on NYPD Radio Frequencies

CrabbyMilton

I agree now that I have the whole picture in him making threats. I still would state what I stated if this had been some crank just being stupid on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.