FCC gives Sprint more time to vacate key airwaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The Federal Communications Commission has agreed to extend the deadline for Sprint Nextel to stop broadcasting on a section of airwaves close in the spectrum to the frequencies used by public safety agencies, Sprint Nextel told Reuters on Thursday.

The FCC originally requested that Sprint Nextel relinquish a part of the 800-megahertz spectrum on June 26, as part of an FCC plan to swap around frequencies to minimize interference between broadcasts. Sprint Nextel's deadline has now been extended until July 1, 2009.

The FCC decided to extend Sprint Nextel's deadline shortly after the FCC granted similar extensions to many public safety agencies across the U.S., which requested more time to change over to the new frequencies.

"We look forward to continuing to work with the public safety community and the FCC to ensure that reconfiguration is completed as quickly as possible without disruption to all involved," Sprint Nextel said in a statement Thursday.

On Wednesday, Sprint Nextel made another request of the FCC, asking for more time to vacate a different section of the 800-megahertz spectrum -- a section that is located between the two parts of the spectrum for the July 2009 swap, and works as a buffer zone for interference.

http://www.crn.com/digital-home/208700786

http://mrtmag.com/rebanding/news/sprint-receives-rebanding-waiver-0620/

Last edited by a moderator:

gcr33

The way they are going they will run out of money before this project is completed.
The Sprint Nextel deal is a bust. The value of the Nextel company compared to where they paid for it is now $0. That is not a joke.

Someone may come along and buy Sprint. iDEN will not be supported after 2010 they had previously announced.

danielkarluk

i guess my next option would be "ready link" by sprint, which uses "evdo" instead of iden. do you think southernlincs idenetwork will be abandonded also? it seems like that wouldnt happen untill the nationwide 700 mhz public safety plan was in place, if that is what they end up building.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
i guess my next option would be "ready link" by sprint, which uses "evdo" instead of iden.
ReadyLink is the older Sprint PTT over the dated 1XRTT data network. The new PTT format utilizes Qualcomm's Qchat technology. It is backwards compatible with the iDEN Network's DirectConnect and is also marketed as Nationwide Direct Connect (though over the Sprint Network).

No new phone is needed yet. This changes nothing for the network in the eyes of a customer (other than less capacity for NDC; 900MHz is being added but only supports telephone at the moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.