fcc.gov frequency search not searching the Public Safety licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbond21

The fcc.gov search page has a great function that lets you search by frequencies(and other parameters) that brings up all sorts of useful info(site location, tower info, #radios licensed, radios wattage, etc). Some of you old hands on here I'm sure are more thoroughly versed in using this than I am.

But recently, I've been trying to find the above info on some police agencies, state and federal mostly, and I've noticed that the search function, when you select what service you want to search, no longer contains the option of the Public Safety pool (PW).

I was trying to find if there were any repeaters around my area for DEA 418.625 MHz(which rr lists as RM) to no avail on the fcc.gov page. Then I tried a repeated TABC frequency (156.06 MHz) which I have searched for before on the fcc site and had gotten their site information, but when I tried the last couple days, it will not return any files or info. So what was once available to me, is now not able to be found.

I was wondering if the fcc website just has the Public Safety pool service database pulled off the website because they are doing some technical work to it(or whatnot, the internet, what can I say). Or, the more seditious explanation I come up with is that the government is trying to restrict access to this information so that we citizens remain ignorant. I wanted to know about DEA repeater whereabouts because I've been hearing unencrypted analog traffic recently on the above channel, and one or two others. Sometimes its clear, other times it sounds like mobile to mobile traffic just barely within scanner range. And if it turns out that freq isn't repeated, well an fcc database search would provide that info as well, but its not there.

If anyone here understands what I just said and can help, it would be much appreciated. I could ask the fcc web people, but I think it better to not go asking these specific questions directly to the government. Thanks.

kf4lhp

I was trying to find if there were any repeaters around my area for DEA 418.625 MHz(which rr lists as RM) to no avail on the fcc.gov page. Then I tried a repeated TABC frequency (156.06 MHz) which I have searched for before on the fcc site and had gotten their site information, but when I tried the last couple days, it will not return any files or info. So what was once available to me, is now not able to be found.

The FCC databases don't contain any federal frequencies (162-174 MHz, 406-420 MHz among others) as those frequencies are handled by NTIA - and are, with few exceptions, considered classified by the federal government.

FCC GenMen was working fine for me earlier this afternoon.

--mws / kf4lhp

Yokoshibu

156.06 falls uder fcc domain so that is unusual. but as stated before NTIA manages the 418.625 freq you were looking at.

davidbond21

That would explain it. Darn G-Men and their secrecy. Thank y'all though.

Although I was hearing unencrypted DEA Ch 2 and 7 this morning on my way into work. Guess me and my buddy will just have to keep using deductive logic to figure these things out.

cousinkix1953

You don't say where you are; but that DEA frequency has been active around the San Francisco Bay Are for more than 20 years. I can remember hearing activity on 418.625 back in 1984-85...

davidbond21

You don't say where you are; but that DEA frequency has been active around the San Francisco Bay Are for more than 20 years. I can remember hearing activity on 418.625 back in 1984-85...

Hmm...I didn't know that the the government would continue to use frequencies that long for the same agency.

I just didn't specify exactly where I am listening to them at partly because of my wanting to preserve their open communications by not drawing any ire from unwanted government scrutiny(read the DEA finds all these posts talking about their communications in their area and *SNAP* encryption just like that) and also partly just from some general paranoia.

I do now have a location for I where I live though on my RR profile, it just may not happen to be where I am listening to the drug warriors at. You can probably figure it out the rest from there.

ecps92

Many of the federal agencies have had the same channels for 25+ yrs, they might move the Repeater location from time-time, but why change channel pairs? IF you do then you need to reprogram the entire fleet of radios. And yup, lots of Clear traffic, still and not just DEA

Hmm...I didn't know that the the government would continue to use frequencies that long for the same agency.

I just didn't specify exactly where I am listening to them at partly because of my wanting to preserve their open communications by not drawing any ire from unwanted government scrutiny(read the DEA finds all these posts talking about their communications in their area and *SNAP* encryption just like that) and also partly just from some general paranoia.

I do now have a location for I where I live though on my RR profile, it just may not happen to be where I am listening to the drug warriors at. You can probably figure it out the rest from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.