FCC Grants blank page

Status
Not open for further replies.

west-pac

Why does this keep occurring? Normally this is a Thursday morning ordeal, and fixed by midday. Here we are into Saturday morning and it's still not working. This is really irritating.

west-pac

RRDB FCC should be back up soon...

“The FCC Database is down for maintenance, please try again later.”

What can I do to help this process? I find this very frustrating when this lasts more than a few hours on a Thursday morning.

The question of 'Which scanner should I buy?' increases Thursday-Sunday when people recieve their payroll checks from work, and have time research and order a scanner. Other people randomly blurt out various scanner model numbers, but I will look at FCC licenses to see what's being used in their area, that may or may not have been submitted, or is obviously noted, in the RRDB. It's more difficult to give accurate advice, or correct bad advice, when these outages last for several hours or days.

So, again, what can I do to help these outages be as short as possible in duration?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
What can I do to help this process? I find this very frustrating when this lasts more than a few hours on a Thursday morning.
I'm not sure you can actually do anything.
I think Lindsay takes care of this and from past posts on the subject, it sounds like his (or someone on the RR payroll) manual intervention may be needed to get it updated and working again.
It's very likely the actual FCC site where the data comes from actually goes down for maintenance causing the RR routine to fail.

I do agree that it can be frustrating! Especially on weekends which also happens to be the time I like to do most of my research. It's also not the end of the world for me though. I have many other projects that need to be worked on. Sometimes when the FCC RRDB is down, it gives me the perfect excuse to work on those other projects!

west-pac

Believe me, I understand that project work. Yesterday I shoveled ~15 ton of stone in my driveway via wheel barrow, and garden tractor wagon. I have about another 10 ton to get done today before it rains this afternoon.

I don't know how much radio system hunting you do, but daybreak/sun rise, I've found, is the best time to get some atmospheric enhancements. I can hear for ~100 miles or more from an antenna 25 feet above ground level. Right now I'm hearing a VHF county FD Disp 100 miles northwest of me, and an 800Mhz P25 tower ~70 miles north of me. After about mid-morning that atmospheric enhancement evaporates. I find hunting distant radio systems enjoyable in the mornings, but it's difficult to submit new findings when I can't research what I'm hearing because the DB is disconnected. In times like this, I have to write everything down, then find time to research it later after everything is connected again, instead of submitting data in real-time.

nd5y

I find hunting distant radio systems enjoyable in the mornings, but it's difficult to submit new findings when I can't research what I'm hearing because the DB is disconnected. In times like this, I have to write everything down, then find time to research it later after everything is connected again, instead of submitting data in real-time.
If RR is down then use one of the FCC search pages.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Except today you are SOL because:
Effective Saturday, April 10, 2021 from 8:00 AM to , Saturday, April 10, 4:00 PM: Universal Licensing System (ULS) System Down for Scheduled Maintenance
System: Universal Licensing System (ULS)

Universal Licensing System (including Application Search, License Search, License Manager, Tower Construction Notification System, E-106 System, Antenna Structure Registration Online Filing, ASR Application Search, ASR Registration Search, Application GeoSearch, 800 MHz and Ownership Information Search) will be down for scheduled maintenance starting at 8:00 AM EDT on Saturday, April 10, 2021 until 4:00 PM EDT Saturday, April 10, 2021.

west-pac

If RR is down then use one of the FCC search pages.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Except today you are SOL because:
Effective Saturday, April 10, 2021 from 8:00 AM to , Saturday, April 10, 4:00 PM: Universal Licensing System (ULS) System Down for Scheduled Maintenance
System: Universal Licensing System (ULS)

Universal Licensing System (including Application Search, License Search, License Manager, Tower Construction Notification System, E-106 System, Antenna Structure Registration Online Filing, ASR Application Search, ASR Registration Search, Application GeoSearch, 800 MHz and Ownership Information Search) will be down for scheduled maintenance starting at 8:00 AM EDT on Saturday, April 10, 2021 until 4:00 PM EDT Saturday, April 10, 2021.

I have, and do occasionally use the FCC website, but using RR is a LOT more efficient when looking thru multiple licensees for one county; also for searching individual frequencies. RR has just spoiled me. From a county homepage, you click a few links this way, a few links that way, a tab here, a tab there, and all the information you need is right in front of you. So when RR is broke I'd rather not even try to find that information from the FCC site.

Status
Not open for further replies.