FCC Grants blank page

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If RR is down then use one of the FCC search pages.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Except today you are SOL because:
Effective Saturday, April 10, 2021 from 8:00 AM to , Saturday, April 10, 4:00 PM: Universal Licensing System (ULS) System Down for Scheduled Maintenance
System: Universal Licensing System (ULS)

Universal Licensing System (including Application Search, License Search, License Manager, Tower Construction Notification System, E-106 System, Antenna Structure Registration Online Filing, ASR Application Search, ASR Registration Search, Application GeoSearch, 800 MHz and Ownership Information Search) will be down for scheduled maintenance starting at 8:00 AM EDT on Saturday, April 10, 2021 until 4:00 PM EDT Saturday, April 10, 2021.

HA!

That's exactly what I do when the RR DB version is down. But today, it looks like we can't win!
I did check the FCC ULS search this morning when I posted earlier and it was running fine. I'm not sure if the system alerts & notifications message was on the page but I missed it if it was.
Being well after 4 PM EST, the FCC ULS Search page does appear to be back online again.

CanesFan95

What can I do to help this process? I find this very frustrating when this lasts more than a few hours on a Thursday morning.

The question of 'Which scanner should I buy?' increases Thursday-Sunday when people recieve their payroll checks from work, and have time research and order a scanner. Other people randomly blurt out various scanner model numbers, but I will look at FCC licenses to see what's being used in their area, that may or may not have been submitted, or is obviously noted, in the RRDB. It's more difficult to give accurate advice, or correct bad advice, when these outages last for several hours or days.

So, again, what can I do to help these outages be as short as possible in duration?

WHAT

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Crap. I just noticed that it was still down from Thursday. This is my fault.

I'll get it back up this morning. Stay tuned.

FYI: The reason why it sometimes goes down is we have a dedicated server that loads the ENTIRE FCC database into memory and then serves it up to everyone. We load it all into memory to provide excellent performance and fast queries. Unfortunately, most SQL database servers and systems aren't designed from the ground up for complete memory storage, and there is an occasional bug that causes it to crash.

I've got a project on the roadmap to better architect this, but this is where we are for the time being. Be patient. If it's down or returning blank results, go get a cup of coffee or mow the lawn and know that (except in this instance) I'm aware of the problem. The load process usually takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to load into memory and index.

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings...

It appears like there is an issue with reading FCC licenses on RR today. I tried downloading the county licenses for a local county and the PDF is blank (Other than the top header). I then tried the viewing licenses on RR page, but again no frequencies (Other than the top heading).

Tim

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Yep! From my home page, I tried to click on the links for the latest FCC grants and licenses for my county and nothing.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
There's an ongoing thread on this. It's a weekly occurrence, and returns to normal within a few hours. Thursday is the day when the FCC licenses are updating in RR's system. FCC Grants blank page

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Its not going to be fixed until LB III fixes it. As this IS now the July 4th holiday weekend.. Is he going to be around?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine tried to access from FCC's site and got a message that access was denied. Looks like it's on FCC's end

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.